Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I really want to have the lapband surgery. I have my surgery scheduled on June 16th. I have the loan ready to go since my insurance wont pay for it.

NOW all the sudden my mom and husband are second guessing my decision and wondering if it is a waste of money. My husband is a coke a holic and is having a hard time with that and us going out to the bars. Can you drink? If so what can you drink?

Anyone have second thoughts or regrets? I think this is my only tool that is going to help me get back to me.

I have no regrets. It is the best money I ever spent. Now that I have made it through a few months, I realize I would have paid 10 times as much to start the journey to good health.

Everyone gets a little nervous and has second thoughts towards the end. Even my husband asked me towards the end, are you really sure that you want to do this??? Yessss . . . now I know more than ever before it was the best decision for me.

Best of luck to you and stay strong :0). What is the true cost of good health . . . well you have to consider what the cost of bad health is first.

I drink lemonade, tons of Water, crystal light, tea, coffee. I no longer drink soda of any sort. I myself was a Dr. Pepper/Diet Coke a holic myself before banding (4-6 per day and a bad headache from caffeine withdrawal if I missed it). It was hard at first because it was a habit and I missed the bubbles. I know you can drink it flat and I did try to drink some flat diet coke. It tasted awful and I don't know why I ever drank it in the first place :0). Every place you go usually has non-carbonated beverages, even if it is only bottled Water. I don't miss it now.

Edited by HeatherO

You will ultimately have to decide for yourself. I think it is a wonderful opportunity and brilliant medical tool. I was banded 4/30 and am down 20lbs - I was concerned about being able have to have a glass of wine but since I have been banded I have enjoyed a glass of wine and had a very refreshing margarita over the Memorial Day holiday. Obviously alcohol can be a hindrance to weight loss so it is wise not to abuse it and too much alcohol also brings on the munchies and an "eat-with-abandon" attitude at times - but as far as being restricted it is not something that I have experienced.

I just really want this weight loss and I will not allow anyone to persuade me to think or feel otherwise!!

Jen, I too was re-thinking just before my surgery date. I haven't regretted it one bit. It's been all very worth it. There are cars out there that you can purchase for more money than this surgery will cost and cars lose their value as soon as you drive it off of the lot. Your health is a very wise investment for the money.

Below is a link to the page with before and after pix from members of LBT, I find this very encouraging to look at. Hope it helps you keep positive in your journey.

Best of Luck and Good Health to you!

Tess

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/before-after-lap-band-surgery-pix-only-4642/[/color]

Heather - thanks for mentioning that.........

I have also given up sodas too - being a major Pepsi addict - it is nice not to have that in my life anymore........... so much better to drink Water or other non-carbonated beverages.

It is definitely a lifestyle change!

i rescheduled my surgery 5 times. I think everyone has second thoughts but you will not be sorry. Giving up soda's is not so bad. I drank Mt. Dews like they were going out of style and put them down with no problem. Yes you can still go out and have a drink. Just don't mix it with carbonated beverages. Have a Margarita or 2. they are great but don't go overboard because they are high calorie drinks.

Go for it. It will be worth it.

Kellye

I was banded on May 22, and even though it has only been a week, I already feel like it was the best decision I ever made. I felt the same way as you, I had major second thoughts and almost canceled it altogether. I will admit, I had a rough time the first few days, I felt terrible, and I don't know how some people go back to work so fast. But I feel great now. And I have lost 8 pounds in one week! So I say go for it.

If you keep thinking about the cost, you will keep second guessing. I also was a self pay. ITS WORTH IT! Sure, my family could have used the money for other THINGS. But your health is the best investment I can think of.

I was banded 5/21 and do not second guess it. I do miss chewing on something though but I know that will come soon. I was tired of being worn out at my weight.

I haven't been banded yet, so I have no regrets, but you've got to ask yourself who you are doing this for? If it's for you, than frankly, frick what anyone else thinks or says. You're not doing this so you can hang out in bars or drink or please your mother. This was a personal decision you made hopefully for your health and sanity and if it's something YOU want to do, don't let anyone talk you out of it. Explain to your family how much it means to you and how you would appreciate thier support. I can see that they may be worried for you, or scared you may change too much, but if they truly love you they will understand that this is something you need to do to enrich your life and they will stop worrying about money and bars and respect your decision.

Wow Sounds like your DH is more worried about how this will effect HIS fun than your health? Whats more important? Where is his support for you? Ask yourself why you want this in the first place? to get healthy and happy right? Your going to be doing this for YOU. It's going to take a huge commitment on your part to follow the docs orders and make this work. Good Luck

I think most of us go through that last minute questioning. A few days before surgery I started to wonder if I should actually do it. I too was self pay and knew it would be a big investment, but I looked at it as an investment of adding years onto my life. I had the surgery in January and could not be happier. Yes I still have to diet and exercise (which I hate less and less everyday) and yes I had to give up my "Love" of Diet Pepsi, but in return I have got my life back. I have tried every diet known and could lose about 20 lbs and that was it. This is the first time that I actually feel in control. I don't feel I am at my sweet spot and sometimes I do eat too much but for the most part I just don't crave junk like I used to. For some reason it is just so much easier saying no to bad food.< /p>

I hope this helps and good luck on your journey:)

I agree that it is easier saying no to bad food. I was worried too about having to give up diet coke, but I haven't even wanted one at all. The way you look at food changes.

My husband wasn't supportive AT ALL in the beginnig, but he eventually came around and he has been very supportive since I had surgery. I think husbands are just scared of change. Your husband is probably just afraid of how your lives will change. But it does change in a good way.

Fortunately my husband was very supportive - but was a little anxious as the surgery came closer. Now after being banded for 30 days, I am so happy that I have taken this step towards a better life. I was a self-pay and each time the scale moves down, I don't mind making a payment!! My energy level is better, my mood is better and even though it hasn't been an "incredible" amount of weight yet - I can feel my self-confidence and outlook shaping up right along with me.

I have been so very fortunate in that my entire family has supported me since I first announced my decision to go through with this. DH was totally against gastric bypass and I honored his decision not to have it, but when I presented him with (literally) a year's worth of research about the band, he was OK with it right from the beginning. He has been wonderful.

I have had no second thoughts at all. None. I am diabetic, have sleep apnea, bursitis in my back and shoulders, aching knees and ankles, and quite frankly, have been so miserable for so long that the thought that I would have a chance at some relief far outweighed my addiction to diet sodas.

When they told me I was approved, I stopped drinking sodas almost immediately. It was hard at first, but I started drinking Lipton diet green tea, Ocean Spray diet cranberry juice, Crystal Light peach tea, and Water, and never looked back. I'm three days post-op and I don't even miss the sodas.

The decision to do this wasn't because I didn't want to be fat. It wasn't because I wanted to fit into a bikini or for vanity. My husband LOVES me exactly the way I am. My decision to do this was so that I could be around for many, many more years to be loved by him.

The only advice I can give you is to take a pad and pen and write down all of the pros on one side of the paper and all of the cons on the other side, then decide, looking at that list, what's more important to you.

For me, living to be a ripe old age and watching my future grandchildren grow up was far more important than soft drinks, alcohol, food, or what anyone else thought of my decision to do this.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide.