Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LB Haters!!!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Jachut et al,

My surgeon did tell me that my lap band would last a lifetime. Whether that's true or not or whether I was dumb for believing him is another matter. Then after surgery I believe I started reading where people had to have them replaced every 10 years or so which I guess is similar to breast implants.

I really don't want to think of the bad side effects right now with the gastric bypass as my daughter just had a week ago! But of course I'd worry no matter what procedure she had done.

I think no matter what WLS we choose there is always the chance that we can gain the weight back, or not do well from the start, as I have or have a major complication. I've heard of people getting all sorts of revisions and from RNY to Lap band and Lap band to RNY, there are tons of combinationsout there. But I hope there is a lot more work done on all WLS in the future so we don't have to be "guinea pigs" for the next generation. God knows what there will be in 10 years, it could be a whole different ball game and this might look almost barbaric or crazy to people.

I wish us all health, luck and happiness brandyII.:lol:

Jachut et al,

My surgeon did tell me that my lap band would last a lifetime. Whether that's true or not or whether I was dumb for believing him is another matter. Then after surgery I believe I started reading where people had to have them replaced every 10 years or so which I guess is similar to breast implants.

I really don't want to think of the bad side effects right now with the gastric bypass as my daughter just had a week ago! But of course I'd worry no matter what procedure she had done.

I think no matter what WLS we choose there is always the chance that we can gain the weight back, or not do well from the start, as I have or have a major complication. I've heard of people getting all sorts of revisions and from RNY to Lap band and Lap band to RNY, there are tons of combinationsout there. But I hope there is a lot more work done on all WLS in the future so we don't have to be "guinea pigs" for the next generation. God knows what there will be in 10 years, it could be a whole different ball game and this might look almost barbaric or crazy to people.

I wish us all health, luck and happiness brandyII.:thumbup:

My surgeon told me my band would last a lifetime too brandyII.

Sometimes when I see "I've been banded for three weeks. and I want this lapband out." I roll my eyes a little bit...but then I remember my liquid diet and I feel sorry for them and hope they can make it through alright.

I am physically and emotionally addicted to food. When I didn't have it I felt like I was going crazy. I think the only thing that got me through the clear liquid stage was probabley pain medicine. It's almost like going through withdrawel. They are reaching for a new outlet, they are ranting about the thing that is making them miserable because it is the thing making them miserable. And I WAS MISERABLE. I never left a post talking about how I wanted it out, because I didn't...but I was an emotional mess. And when I got my first fill, I DID write a thread because I was Angry because I was back on liquids for two days and this time without pain medicine. I was a bitch, I was stark raving mad and I cried for two weeks. I was mean to my partner, and anyone else around me no matter how hard I tried not to be. I didn't know where to direct my anger. I was angry because I couldn't eat, even though I was glad I couldn't eat. It's an addiction, plain and simple.

So I know they don't usually really mean what they are saying. They are just sad, or angry, or hungry and they are feeling sorry for themselves.

It's a learning peroid, and it's pretty rough when you are just starting, especially for people like me. So maybe cut the newbies a break. They just don't have it figured out yet. Hopefully they will, and sometimes maybe they need some tough love. Sometimes they will need support, but sometimes they don't need anything but to whine to get it out of their system. Rather online then in real life huh?

Brandy and Ready

My surgeon said that the band is meant to last a lifetime, but there is no way of knowing that for sure. They don't know how the band is going to be in....say 20 or 30 years from now. The band hasn't been around long enough to know what will happen 30 years from now. So who knows? But it is something some of us may have to face one day.

Guest Leslie2Lose

RSG - I'm a newbie and have never fussed at someone that is new and looking for answers. I've come on here to complain, ask questions and whine too. I don't know many of us that haven't, especially in the beginning. Your body goes through so many changes and sometimes that is hard to deal with and understand. That is not all what I'm ranting about. After all, that is exactly what this forum is for.

My issue is with those who complain all the time and cannot try to see a silver lining or give up without trying. They just fuss about how unhappy they are and don't ask questions or try to figure out what is wrong or those who just want to make trouble.

There are those that do have problems, something is wrong with their band, they have a medical issue or just were not ready for this. The band isn't for everyone.

I was told it lasts a lifetime but even if it doesn't it's a risk I am willing to take to improve my health and be at a decent weight.

RSG - I'm a newbie and have never fussed at someone that is new and looking for answers. I've come on here to complain, ask questions and whine too. I don't know many of us that haven't, especially in the beginning. Your body goes through so many changes and sometimes that is hard to deal with and understand. That is not all what I'm ranting about. After all, that is exactly what this forum is for.

My issue is with those who complain all the time and cannot try to see a silver lining or give up without trying. They just fuss about how unhappy they are and don't ask questions or try to figure out what is wrong or those who just want to make trouble.

There are those that do have problems, something is wrong with their band, they have a medical issue or just were not ready for this. The band isn't for everyone.

Oh yeah. I've read some of your post, I think you are a pretty positive person Leslie2lose. You have every right to rant, and as far as rants go I would say yours is pretty tame.

I see what your saying.

I'm was just rehashing my own experiences. I love my band. The weights not dropping as fast as I would want it too, but it's actually going very very well and within expectations. Knowing all that and still acting like such a giant baby when I got that first fill I was just thinking maybe some of those people were going through what I was... but if you never stop complaining and things don't get better, well, there is something wrong.

I was told it lasts a lifetime but even if it doesn't it's a risk I am willing to take to improve my health and be at a decent weight.

Me too. I am just gonna think it will last my entire life, and if problems arise I will handle them as they come.

Guest Leslie2Lose

RSG - You're doing great with your weight loss girl. I can see your point too - I can see where people come from when they begin whining. I'm doing my best not to whine now, but here it goes...My port flipped the week after surgery and I found out about it two weeks ago. My doctor won't fix it until it runs through my insurance company (they are dragging their feet!!!). I had surgery scheduled for today - it was canceled. I was told today it is under "revision" when I called BCBS this morning. What the heck does that mean? I want to shout and yell and throw a tantrum. I'm about to the end of my rope and the end of my patience. I have spent this time and money for my band and I cannot use it....However, I want to keep it! I love my band and I can't eat nearly what I could before being banded so it is working somewhat.

Oh Leslie, I'm sorry to hear that. So glad your trying to stay positive though. I don't have any experience with the insurance because I was self pay, but reading post I can tell it was been a war with a lot of people. And insurance never seems to be in a hurry. Well anytime you need to chat you can pm me.

Leslie has your insurance got its ass moving yet for your flipped port surgery?

They better have or YOU SHOULD KICK THEIR BUTTS

Actually the odds of winning the lottery are much, much lower. Slippage rates for the band are actually pretty high. They are around 3% world-wide according to the latest published stats. That's 3 people out of every 100 that get banded!

You are correct, Inamed's PUBLISHED stats say 3.1%. Their verbal stats are well over 7%. They announced this at the bash a couple of years ago. They keep the safe stats on their website but if you will notice they are old, outdated, and based on small numbers of people. The actual stats are much much higher for slips.

I have been at LBT for about 5 months now and in that time I've seen a trend for doctors to progress their patients through the food stages as fast as possible. Do you think that this is part of why the stats are higher now than the older stats? It seems that way to me.

I'm also guessing that with more surgeons doing this surgery, that there are more duds in the bunch -- that seems to be the way of things -- and that can't help either.

I really think a stat of 3% is troubling, but a stat of 7% is appalling. If my chance of winning the lottery was that high, I'd play every day!

I agree that this site seems plagued with a lot of negativism. I have said this on a number of threads here. I can understand frustration when other people write negative things that upset me. What I can't get my head around is that the "I hate xyz" threads spawn more negative threads- like this one. This is another negative thread. How does this change the climate here?

I have never found negative words to lead to positive consequences.

Perhaps my reply will lead to another round of attacks and personal criticisms. That would be very sad to me.

How about instead, we turn this around to a gratitude thread, or a joke thread, or a "you go girl" thread, or a how can we reach out to others who are struggling thread, instead of a "I hate people who don't feel like I do thread?

KatW

Katw, I agree, I am just all for encouragement; however, sound advice without a mean tone is good.