Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Ditto to the Happy Halloween! I bought candy today - I bought two bags of stuff I do not like. at all! Any leftover will go with DH to his work early Monday morning (even though I do not like it). I am not taking ANY chances.

I'll be so glad when Halloween is over! I have 3 huge bags of assorted chocolate that I keep dipping into. I need to get this stuff out of the house!!!!

I'm due for TOM to visit in a couple of days so that's not helping at all either.

I'll be so glad when Halloween is over! I have 3 huge bags of assorted chocolate that I keep dipping into. I need to get this stuff out of the house!!!!

I'm due for TOM to visit in a couple of days so that's not helping at all either.

Hey Donna.. I remember those chocolate cravings. I used to always have a large bag of M&M's or Rolos in my drawer at work. Once I hit menopause (at the age of 38) all my sweet cravings went out the window. I think I would have been three times my size at the beginning of this LB journey if I would have still had those cravings. I consider myself luck not to have them. :teeth_smile:

But, if you feel you really want some, have a couple and get rid of the candy after tonight.

Apples2, congrats on hitting goal! Now that you've hit goal, how are you going to Celebrate?

Apples2, congrats on hitting goal! Now that you've hit goal, how are you going to Celebrate?

Thanks, Donna. I've done little celebrations all along the way. Have been having fun filling the closet with clothes (think I am done now). Was so much fun NOT being in the Plus size depts. I had permanent eyeliner applied and also had eyelash extensions. Woohoo.

Good for you! Do you have any b/a pics you'd like to share with us? I find them so motivating and inspirational.

Good for you! Do you have any b/a pics you'd like to share with us? I find them so motivating and inspirational.

I have never done the pics, Donna. Not sure why but not one photo during weight loss. I do have a pic of b/4 I started but none at goal. Not sure if it's my thing to post them.

hey indiogirl55 hi i just came across this website and would so love to have a band mentor...i was banded march 23, 2007 and in august 2008 i had lost 83 lbs and weighed 143 with bmi of 24 and was having esphoagus spasms and i had pulled something under and around my arm and back from vomiting too hard. anyways i had an unfil from 4.2 down to 3.5 they said...and in 3 weeks i was already gaining weight. i have since been filled back to 3.9 and really think i need more or to be back to the 4.2 i was...i now weigh 166 and so upset with myself and unhappy...i am however due to go back to my doctor the 11th of november for another fill...i got into the habit of eating soft foods and the stuff i ate while i "couldnt" eat when i was too tight and obviously ate larger portions and the calories racked up and i wasnt throwing anything up at all. so my mid section is bulging again...i am very depressed and disappointed in myself...i know the rights and wrongs of this lapband --why have i lost my way? the past couple of days have really upset me...i have had to go from the 8's i was wearing to 10's. i have been heavy my whole life and to gain this back is devastating to me. i feel like i need motivation and connection with something or someone that knows what i am going through or feel. my doctors office doesnt support us in those ways. they frankly dont have the time to be bothered. i have read your story and am so impressed...i am 5 5 and was 226 on day of surgery. i live 2 1/2 hours from my doctor so i have always tried to get really tight on fills...and the one i got in february this year i toughed it out until august being too tight and i really suffered but i was thin. and in my twisted mind i think i should have to suffer again...can you tell me about your diet and your advice on getting this idiot back on track.

Hey there Mzmowil - I am sorry for your struggles... Here's my thoughts...

Being too tight = relying on your band to do the work for you by FORCING you not to be able eat good healthy foods (hard proteins) - which in turn is working against you as you are not making this a true lifestyle change in your eating habits... Also, being too tight can cause the slippage & erosion problems.

I have always been able to eat 1 to 1/2 cups of food per meal - I eat hard Proteins (meat/fish/chicken) I follow a weight watcher food plan - which allows for carbs (I have to have some) I have truly made this about eating healthy not dieting.. I can't say that I would be where I am today without my band - cuz it does make me feel physically (not always mentally) full on a smaller portion of food. But I do feel that I have done 75% of the work by changing my eating habits and exercising and the band has done the other 25%..

In being so tight that you can't truly eat real regular healthy foods and you are relying on your band to do 75% of the work

Your band is should only be used as a tool - you gotta make this a lifetime change in the way you look and and relate to food..

I can't stress enough - that you really do have to make this a lifestyle change in your eating - not just restriction.

I have said many times before that I can eat my dinner (4 oz of fish - 1/2 c rice - 1/2 c veggies) and be physically full - but mentally I am still hungry. I can not imagine only being able to eat 1/2 c of food per meal and that on top of the amount only to be able to eat soft food..

So for me - Yes my weight loss has been about the restriction that is provided by the band - but have I changed my thinking about why and what I eat and have added exercise in to my daily life.

I was banded as I wanted to extend life (health) and the being thin is really icing on the cake to me... I am the same me inside - pple keep saying how tiny I am - it's not about how tiny I am but how good I feel now.

I just lost my brother 2 weeks ago - before I would have turned to food to soothe my feelings - now I look at it totally differently - I know that food isn't the answer to my problems - it's no longer my drug of choice - Doesn't mean that I am not tempted at times to eat that candy - but I know that if I do it on a daily basis - and quit going to the gym - I am going to get fat again and I don't want that... I have worked to damn hard to get where I am at - to go back to where I was...

IMHO you don't need to be as tight as you were - you need to pull on those bootstraps and move forward - You need to learn to eat healthy and not diet - Follow the banders rules - hard Protein 1st then veggies and carbs if any room left, small bites - eat slowly - chew well and no drinking before or after meals for at least 30 minutes

Eat your 3 meals (low fat/low sugar) and 2 healthy snack - keep a food diary/log your calories keep them between 800 -1200 in the weight loss phase and exercise. If you do all this you will get back on track - you can do it!!!!!!.... You just have to get your mind back in the game...

Now don't think about it (getting back on track) - just do it - one day at a time - one foot in front of the other... We are here for you..

Hugs - Janet

Hi!!!!!!!!! We just got back from a long overdue vacation. After posting, I'll go back and read about all that's gone on here for the last week, but I wanted to say, "Hi," first. Thank you all for your good wishes and prayers for my father. It's as though he never had the TIA at all, thank heaven. We're very lucky.

Our vacation had been scheduled for a whole year and if he hadn't improved, we would have stayed home, but my brother came into town, took over and we finally had a week away. Hawaii was amazing and resting was an absolute novelty. I haven't gotten on the scale yet, but I think I gained a few pounds, but I bet not more than that. And I bet half of that was more from my hurting my lower back and not being able to use the gym. I did, however, learn that I do have some restriction after all!!!!

Well, I'm going to read what's been going on here; then I'll unpack and try to figure out what to do for my back. See you later.

Love,

Ellen

Ahh, Ellen, Hawaii, paradise!!! I am glad you got away. You need time to recharge with all you got going on! I hope to go to Hawaii the first part of Dec. Have some Marriott points to use and that sounds like the perfect place to use them!

I am feeling much improved today from the cold I've had. It does seem to be messing with my restriction however. I've been much tighter while I've had the cold. I've not had much of an appetite anyway and then the super restriction, I haven't gotten in all my Protein for a few days. The scale isn't rewarding that however, probably due to how little I'm eating. We are grilling ribs tonight for dinner since it's almost 80 out, so hopefully I'll be able to eat some of those!

Good Morning Ladies

I haven't been on the computer all weekend - Friday Trick or treaters - then Sat bf with gf - then another gf called stopped by and we had shrimp creole and watched a movie - Yesterday went and started cleaning my bro's house.. Love the time change in bed early - up early and even getting GS up was no problem...

I gotta make a confession here - to provide to you your mentor is human

fot the 1st time in 15 months I sorta pigged out on candy Saturday nite - no way like I use to but had about 5 fun size bars and a few reese mini pb cups - told GS I was going to throw the crap away - but he took it and hid it from me..

You know what - It made me sick - sugar over load - but all in all 1 time in 15 months of saying "screw it - I want to feed my emotions" isn't too bad

Well just cking in - cbl :thumbup:

Ah, Janet. We're all human. I'm sure you will bounce back from your splurge.

And your sage advice about using the band correctly was as always a reminder that the band it only a small part of the journey. We are 75% or it.

Ellen - glad to hear you had a restfull vacation. Hawaii is so beautiful!

I was away the weekend reconnecting with old friends in Boston. It was so theraputic. I ate ok but may have enjoyed a few too many more cocktails than I should have!! I came back energized to eat healthier.

Hope all is well with everyone.

- Kathy

Hi

I am Janet and I am a recovering food addict :thumbup:

I was banded 7/17/07 - My starting weight was 250 - I'm 5'4

Today (just over 10 months out) I am 154 - size 8 pants (was 18/20) Medium tops (was 22/24)

I got banded as I wanted to extend the years that I have left on this planet and to do that I knew that I needed to lose weight.

The band has been the tool I needed. For the first time in my life I have been able to achieve this goal (actually getting to my goal weight)

If you want a buddy - support - help - suggestions - Please feel free to call upon me - I will gladly share my journey with you - the journey is still on going and by helping you I will be helping me (staying motivated and accountable) and then one day you can pay it forward and help someone else.

Hi Indigo. I see you are a little younger than me, but I need a mentor/buddy in her 50s. I feel I am older than most bandsters. My surgery is 11/21 and I am excited, nervous, scared all at the same time. I am hurting a lot, because they have taken me off all arthritis meds. I have been thru the cardiologist, pulmonologist, 6 month weightloss program, psych, nutrition, surgeon visits. Still have scheduled vascular and hematology. Please advise if you used a pre-op diet and what it was. Thanks for being there.

Hi Indigo. I see you are a little younger than me, but I need a mentor/buddy in her 50s. I feel I am older than most bandsters. My surgery is 11/21 and I am excited, nervous, scared all at the same time. I am hurting a lot, because they have taken me off all arthritis meds. I have been thru the cardiologist, pulmonologist, 6 month weightloss program, psych, nutrition, surgeon visits. Still have scheduled vascular and hematology. Please advise if you used a pre-op diet and what it was. Thanks for being there.

Hi Lcwils01 - and Welcome

Yes I had a pre-op but only for 1 week and 2 days of that were Clear liquids as I had my colonoscopy 7/13 and then surgery 7/17.

My pre-op consisted of - Optifast oatmeal for Breakfast - Optifast great Protein bars for Snacks 2 - lunch a shake and dinner salmon and salad or veggies. My doc provided the food (well except for the fish & salads)

After surgery 10 days full liquids (incl creamed Soups sf pudding sf yogurt sf fudgecicles) 10 days mushies - 10 days soft and then on to regular food..

It was a little tough (pre-op as my son's bd was 7/15) but I made it thru..

I was lucky - it took me only 6 weeks to get surgery - I didn't have to do the 6 month diet - But I had tons of test - sleep, breathing, heart - had to do a nuclear stress test - mamo - pap - blood 14 vials - shrink - nutristionst..

Hugs Janet