Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hello everyone!

I have no idea what the problem is here, but for some reason, this is not posting? Good thing for copy and paste!

Great news! I just called my insurance company this afternoon to make sure that they recieved all of my pre-authorization paperwork. This wonderful woman that works there has helped me through all of this. She did indeed have all of the paperwork needed and insured me that it would be 2-4 weeks to wait for an approval. An hour later she called me back and told me that she felt bad for all I have been through dealing with all of this and she had taken care of everything herself. I'm approved! It took only 4 business days for approval! I could not be happier! She said that she was going to fax my paperwork immediately to the surgical office. Tomorrow, I hope to talk to the woman at the surgeons office who handles all of this so I can get a date set up there. Hopefully by this time tomorrow I will know the plan.

How is everyone doing? I see that it was a quiet weekend on here, hopefully that means that everyone was busy outside enjoying time with friends and family.

Congrats to all of you who have lost weight!!!!! It looks like everyone is doing a great job!

Check in tomorrow!

~Meredith

Congrats, Meredith!

That is wonderful news!

God is good!

Meredith....CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR APPROVAL. I remember the day and finally could relax after almost a year of jumping through hoops. You're on your way, girl!!!

Laura...it IS difficult at first when it comes to social functions. I would get so worried days b/4 I knew we were going to a wedding, a party, or just out to eat. Now it's a breeze. If it is a function that I have no control over the menu, I try to eat what I can and always have other options in my purse. (Soynuts, beef Jerky, almonds, Pure Protein Bars, Cereal, etc.) (Not always possible to pull something out and eat it but do it when I can). You will get there. Just takes practice to put your mind at ease.

Sorry, but I am having major issues with this site. Either my last post didn't post at all, or it got posted 20 times!

~Meredith

Meredith, maybe the posting problem has something to do with your feelings that you are not being heard by the doctor's staff! It's that karma thing...

Congratulations on the approval. I hope the rest of the journey goes better than the first part has. The wait for many of us has been pretty long, but it's a good time to learn everything you can about your new life. You will be sooo prepared.

Keep us posted.

Hi everyone! Meredith, glad you made some progress with surgeon's office, but I do hope you will still tell him about that woman. She is too much! How dare she call you back and accuse you of complaining to the office manager. But, I can imagine you're probably a little worried about irritating this woman any further until you get your date -- after that, I'd be sure to complain to the office manager and the surgeon. Unbelievable! Apples, you are so lucky you can get away so much, I'm sure you manage to make it through the harsh winter just dreaming of getting back to spending time at the lake each spring/summer. Sounds lovely. Long and Phyl I love traveling too and am so happy that I can fit in an airline seat so much more comfortably now. It makes so much difference! I cooked food for DH and DD and GD yesterday, but really wasn't even interested in eating any of it -- I just ate my usual green Beans and turkey tenderloin. I let them have all the fattening stuff. It's funny that I don't even care about eating food like that anymore. I just don't get it, cause any other time I used to watch my eating, I'd be looking forward to eating on holidays -- any excuse to eat -- now, I don't even care -- what is it about the band that causes that I wonder? It's weird. Janet, thanks for your kind words. I do work hard at my eating and exercise and it's nice to have the scale reward me each week. I really thought I'd have more trouble losing (since I'm waaaayyy over 50) than I have, so I'm thrilled I've been able to do so well. I have a question for you experienced bandsters -- I've had two fills so far, and have another scheduled for next week. I don't really get hungry and my meals keep me satisfied for at least 5 to 6 hours. I have never had a PB and have only experienced a stuck feeling in my chest for a few mins. when I've forgotten to chew as well as I need to. I don't really ever feel "hungry" so I'm wondering if I'm at my sweet spot. I can't seem to get a lot of info about what that really should be like. Before I had my second fill I did have a lot of "hunger" and I could eat a lot of food before feeling full. Now, I eat about what a bandster is supposed to eat -- 4 oz. Protein and about 1/2 cup veggies and I do stayed satisfied. I'm just trying to decide if I really need a fill or not. If any of you can help me out I'd appreciate it. I am really afraid of getting too tight. Maybe I should just postpone it until I start to feel hungrier inbetween meals? I do lose at a steady pace, but I do feel a lot of it is my own willpower as well as the foods I choose (low in fat, low in sugar, etc.) and I stay withing my calorie budget to lose 2 lbs. per week. If any of you have any suggestions on this, I'd appreciate your help. Thanks so much. Linda

Linda -I think we concentrate too much on fills and that we need them every month - When I went in Dec 07 and had lost 17 lbs he would not give me one - he said you lost 17 lbs in 2 months - you are fine - well went back a month later still had lost weight don't remember how much but told him I needed one - well I ended up being too tight and had all of it but .01 taken out..

To me it sounds like you are there (sweet spot) even with the band it does take a lot of will power to eat the correct foods and exercise - if you are feeling full for 5 or 6 hours - that's great and losing 2 lbs a week that's fantastic - Pbing slime pain is bad - be happy that you don't have these issue..

Hello everyone!

Great news! I just called my insurance company this afternoon to make sure that they recieved all of my pre-authorization paperwork. This wonderful woman that works there has helped me through all of this. She did indeed have all of the paperwork needed and insured me that it would be 2-4 weeks to wait for an approval. An hour later she called me back and told me that she felt bad for all I have been through dealing with all of this and she had taken care of everything herself. I'm approved! It took only 4 business days for approval! I could not be happier! She said that she was going to fax my paperwork immediately to the surgical office. Tomorrow, I hope to talk to the woman at the surgeons office who handles all of this so I can get a date set up there. Hopefully by this time tomorrow I will know the plan.

How is everyone doing? I see that it was a quiet weekend on here, hopefully that means that everyone was busy outside enjoying time with friends and family.

Congrats to all of you who have lost weight!!!!! It looks like everyone is doing a great job!

Check in tomorrow!

~Meredith

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!:blush::blink::mad5:

Meredith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am soooooooooooooo happy for you!!!!!!! I can only imagine the he!! of waiting. Congrats! Hip hip horrrayyyyy!

I remember calling my insurance company BCBS-FL Blue Choice.... I had THE nicest lady on the phone. I could almost hear her voice crack when she had to tell me I had an exemption and that God himself couldn't get them to approve me! But thank God himself that I was blessed with the best DH in the world!!! He said, if you can do without extra this year... (and maybe next)... then let's do it! We are both so thankful we made the decision. It's the best investment in OUR life that we have ever made! EVERYTHING... is better!:blush::blink:

Hi everyone~ Glad to hear everyone had great celebrations with family and BBQ. Janet, I hear what you are saying that the band should keep me ok at cookouts. I still find it hard to be at food events. I don't have family in this state- around family it would be no big deal. But I went to a house party a few weeks ago and there was not ONE band friendly thing there except fruit. They had hot dogs and popcorn, funnel cakes and cotton candy (carnival stuff). They served alcohol and sodas. I was STARVING by the end. Just couldn't go somewhere right now where I have no control over the menu. In time it will be ok. I still have to be careful of trigger foods and things that get stuck.

I was up 1-2 lbs for the last few days... but it was TOM, etc. Now finally down 1 since last fill 12 days ago. (really down 3 if you count up 2..LOL). My next fill is supposed to be Thursday. I had such a time the first 5 days of this last fill... so am not sure what to do. I had two PB and had to switch back to mush and liquids. Then had two days of feeling tight and pain with eating 1/2 c of food. But because I did so much mush and liquids... I had a hard time staying in my calories. Went way over Protein One day b/c of Protein supplements. Last 4 days I feel good. Nothing getting stuck. No pain after eating. I feel I could still eat after a normal serving but am so afraid after those PBs and stucks.. that I stop. I feel like I could MAYBE benefit from a tiny fill.. but think I will wait a week. I left the RN a message today and she didn't call me back.

Lots of thunderstorms here in FL. Nelson HATES storms and is glued to my side when there is thunder. He's asleep now. Whew.... time to relax. DH on call. Time to surf (the tv) and fold laundry.

Peas out! Laura

Laura - becareful - I am almost 2 yrs out - am physically full but still want to eat - being too tight isn't going to change that..

Meredith, maybe the posting problem has something to do with your feelings that you are not being heard by the doctor's staff! It's that karma thing...

Congratulations on the approval. I hope the rest of the journey goes better than the first part has. The wait for many of us has been pretty long, but it's a good time to learn everything you can about your new life. You will be sooo prepared.

Keep us posted.

Joann - how are you doing - adjusting to being home...

Hi Gang just cking in - went to the gym did 4 miles and now home -

Well it's 8 time to go cook - can't wait til tomorrow Meredith !!!!

Hello everyone!

Check in tomorrow!

~Meredith

Congratulations I am so excited for you!!!! It is so awesome to know there really is people at the insurance company that care. That is to cool. Again Congratulations!!!!!!!!:blush::thumbup::blush:

Meredith!! I am so happy for you and look forward to reading of your date. Maybe part of the posting problem is that it went to a new page, one post was on the last page and the other on this page. It's so refreshing to come across someone like that gal at your insurance that still cares and shows compassion. Now if only that lady at your surgeon's office did, hopefully she'll call you right away.

Laura, social settings are hard sometimes. I have had some hot dog in those type of settings, not the best Protein choice but it works once in awhile. That's what I had at the BBQ this weekend that and some Beans, left the rest of the food alone. I had forgotten to take something along like a Protein Bar.

Apples, sounds like you are enjoying yourself this summer. Hope you are having fun at the cabin again.

As for me, today is my volunteer day at the hospital. Last night we met some friends for dinner, the husband is having band surgery in a few weeks he hopes. He is awaiting that approval himself and he had lots of questions as did his wife. They were overwhelmed with all the info at the pre op class.

Hi there,

I trust everyone had a safe holiday weekend... Now we're back at it again... I have my little one off to the sitter since 8:45 this morning so I could go to Water aerobics... Went okay, but still not back to doing it full tilt.. I get so played out and then I get cold... Keep plugging along I guess..

I ate too much over the weekend... It's just so easy to fall into old patterns when you have no restriction... I'm better today and still holding at the same mark as I have been... Monday is finally my day to get some fill back in my band.. I'm ready..... However, I suppose I'll have to start that slow, too.. Can't have 8.6 cc's put back in all at once!!!!! I'll settle for 4 at least... That's not too much to ask is it? I'm at this stage where I have been too many times in my life with other failed loss attempts..... I need to get below this and start to feel like real success is within my reach...

Meridith.....good for you, girl... Sometimes it helps to just be forceful... That's all some people recognize... Things are going to start happening soon... I wish you the best.

Apples, I'm not sure I could handle your schedule.... but it sure sounds fun for you....

Laura, my child hates storms, too...... and she's 25!!!! She was caught in a tornado once and just the sound of thunder sends her into a panic... I don't know if she'll ever get over it.... I keep hoping....

Well, better get on with my chores before baby comes back again at 4:45... This is the last night for this week, so will have a couple days off to rest up again.. Take care .............. Julie

Good Afternoon

I have been here this morning then the phone would ring and then come back the it rings again - so better be quick before it rings aging..

As to eating at bbq etc - I can always find something - a plain hb patty a little salad - I may have a few chips and dip - I'm not as lucky as Linda not to desire these foods any more - Friday nite after concert we went to bf - I ate 2 eggs a few bites of hashbrowns & 1 1/2 of a busicut and gravy and the only reason I didn't eat more was cuz my band stopped me - in fact I was over full - but I wanted to eat more... I miss eating sometimes... I wish I didn't crave the candy Cookies busicuts and gravey - fried foods etc

In fact the drinks I had this weekend (friday & saturday and the biscuts and gravy) made me weigh in yesterday morning at 143 - So gang the Sheriff is back in town - I have been too lax on having a bite of this or that - those extra calories from the alcohal and extra food (did ok Sunday & Monday) but not Friday & Saturday and the scales showed it yesterday - so I am on a mission - to lose 5 lb by 6/11/09 (2 weeks).

My band Daughter is coming to visit on 6/12 and I will be at goal by that date - I went to the gym last night did 4 miles - got up at 4:30 this morning so that I could hit the gym before work - got in 2.5 miles burned 286 cal and go back tonight for weight training...

My new thing is going to be not to miss tuesday exercise (which I have been doing a little too often lately) and to get up early at least 2 x week and go to the gym in the morning before work - I don't have a lot of time - but I do have about 40-45 mins there and can get in a few miles.. and to cut out the bites of this or that at night - and I also am cutting my rice down to every other night - I will just up my Protein and veggies.

So who wants to join me in this challenge to lose 5 lbs by 6/11 ???

hello everyone!

great news! I just called my insurance company this afternoon to make sure that they recieved all of my pre-authorization paperwork. This wonderful woman that works there has helped me through all of this. She did indeed have all of the paperwork needed and insured me that it would be 2-4 weeks to wait for an approval. An hour later she called me back and told me that she felt bad for all i have been through dealing with all of this and she had taken care of everything herself. I'm approved! It took only 4 business days for approval! I could not be happier! She said that she was going to fax my paperwork immediately to the surgical office. Tomorrow, i hope to talk to the woman at the surgeons office who handles all of this so i can get a date set up there. Hopefully by this time tomorrow i will know the plan.

how is everyone doing? I see that it was a quiet weekend on here, hopefully that means that everyone was busy outside enjoying time with friends and family.

congrats to all of you who have lost weight!!!!! It looks like everyone is doing a great job!

check in tomorrow!

~meredith

congrats! On your approval.

Hi everyone~

Ok... I canceled my fill appt for tomorrow. I think I need to let this one settle down still. And Janet, I think you are right about the being full.. but still wanting to eat. I think that my problem is in my head, not in my band. : ) But.. the band is giving me the negative feedback I need to keep me from overeating. I went out to lunch with DH today. I had a tiny bit of Soup (maybe 1/4 cup) and then ordered a grilled fish sandwich with no bun. I ate maybe 2 oz and couldn't eat another bite. I wanted more.. but couldn't and didn't try. Perhaps this is my sweet spot but my hungry brain wanted more. It's a learning process!

Lost another lb today! woohoo! Had an awesome workout. My exercise physiologist/trainer wanted to re-set weights and we did maximum weights to get back to 60%. Holy canolies!!! I can now bench press 250 lbs!!! (that is max, could only do 2! LOL) I did 4 flights of stairs, up and down in 38 seconds. Original time a month ago was 67 seconds. Love that progress. I still can't do ONE full old fashioned sit up with someone sitting on my feet and hands crossing chest. I think I have "babied" my abs for WAY too long.. b/c of fear of disrupting dear old port. That too will improve.

ok guys.. hope everyone is doing well. Peasout ~laura

Hi everyone~

Ok... I canceled my fill appt for tomorrow. I think I need to let this one settle down still. And Janet, I think you are right about the being full.. but still wanting to eat. I think that my problem is in my head, not in my band. : ) But.. the band is giving me the negative feedback I need to keep me from overeating. I went out to lunch with DH today. I had a tiny bit of Soup (maybe 1/4 cup) and then ordered a grilled fish sandwich with no bun. I ate maybe 2 oz and couldn't eat another bite. I wanted more.. but couldn't and didn't try. Perhaps this is my sweet spot but my hungry brain wanted more. It's a learning process!

Lost another lb today! woohoo! Had an awesome workout. My exercise physiologist/trainer wanted to re-set weights and we did maximum weights to get back to 60%. Holy canolies!!! I can now bench press 250 lbs!!! (that is max, could only do 2! LOL) I did 4 flights of stairs, up and down in 38 seconds. Original time a month ago was 67 seconds. Love that progress. I still can't do ONE full old fashioned sit up with someone sitting on my feet and hands crossing chest. I think I have "babied" my abs for WAY too long.. b/c of fear of disrupting dear old port. That too will improve.

ok guys.. hope everyone is doing well. Peasout ~laura

Laura - Congrats on you pound :thumbup: WTG

Ya I don't think you need a fill at all ... Darling I am almost 2 yrs out and I still to this very second want to continue to eat even when I am physically full - especially at nite - I use to sit and contenplate my stomach - I felt physically hungry but I was physically full - so how could I still feel hungry. Well stupid you can't be physically hungry if your are physically full - that just plain old head hunger talking to you..

But this is why we have the band is to physically stop us from over eating.. But as we all know it only works on some foods and not some of our worse ones like candy :0)...

You can bench press 250 with your arms ???? OMFL !!! I can barely just do the bar which is 45 lbs for 3 sets of 15 - now my legs I can do about 200 3 sets of 15 - which aint bad for a 54 yr old broad..:crying:

Hi everyone !

I want to share something that I found out Tuesday when I went to my Dr for a fill. I have been having this problem being too tight one day then fine the next. They told me its allergies. I'm to take an allergy pill everyday. Will see if it helps.

Phyl...you look fantastic !!! Love your new pic. :crying:

Laura - Congrats on you pound :thumbup: WTG

Ya I don't think you need a fill at all ... Darling I am almost 2 yrs out and I still to this very second want to continue to eat even when I am physically full - especially at nite - I use to sit and contenplate my stomach - I felt physically hungry but I was physically full - so how could I still feel hungry. Well stupid you can't be physically hungry if your are physically full - that just plain old head hunger talking to you..

But this is why we have the band is to physically stop us from over eating.. But as we all know it only works on some foods and not some of our worse ones like candy :0)...

You can bench press 250 with your arms ???? OMFL !!! I can barely just do the bar which is 45 lbs for 3 sets of 15 - now my legs I can do about 200 3 sets of 15 - which aint bad for a 54 yr old broad..:crying:

Oh Lordy Lordy! Janet~ I told you my mind was going! I meant LEG PRESS. Not bench press. Leg press was 250 max. Bench press with arms... I don't remember the amount. And it was on the machine for that... she was afraid to do MAX on the overhead bar with weights. We have done bar plus maybe 10 lbs on each side... that's it. I will have to write down the max arms. It was interesting the difference in training techniques between a YMCA trainer and then a college educated exercise physiologist. The EP places a lot more emphasis on having objective data - so that you can really compare progress and to adjust weights according to scientific research, not just what feels right. She also takes my BP before and during exercise and next week wants to do a modified treadmill stress test. There won't be an EKG attached.. but rather heart monitor and BP... and seeing how long I can go and what incline, to get a rough idea of my MET level and what my absolute TRUE max HR is. Back in 1997 when I went to the Duke University Diet and Fitness Center Diet & Fitness Center - Duke Diet & Fitness Center - DukeHealth.org, I had a stress test and got to 12 METS at that time. (I weighed 224 and thought that was the end of my rope, as far as weight was concerned!)

Curious if anyone else did any admissions to any university based Diet centers? I had 4 admissions over 2 years (NOT covered by insurance!) in an attempt to get healthy. It really was an awesome program, balancing medical/exercise/nutrition/& psychological components. I did great while I was there... and even for months after, but always gained it back and more. : (

peas.