Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Happy New Year's Eve to everyone!!

I'm eating my dinner right now....scallops, broccoli and roasted potatoes. Everything came out good. I'm making mulled wine to drink tonight because it's too darn cold to drink margaritas which is what my friend is having. We won't go over there until about 10pm so I still have a little while to putz around tonight.

I didn't do anything constructive....oh well.

Once again, have a wonderful evening everyone and I'm grateful to have you ALL in my life.

Eva

OMG Eva - you aren't going out til 10 - I don't know after I have eaten that I would have the energy to go out - Eating does me in ;0)

Yep too cold for icy drinks - coffee & kahlua or baileys

Well just called Deb - she's on her way - that girl... it's almost 7 p.m. - I guess we might go see Andrew at work (Cold Stone) for dessert -

Happy New Year Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love you all so very much. Thank you for welcoming me back with open arms.

Chicago sounds great to me!! It's about a 4 1/2 hr drive for me, but there is a bus that takes you right from my college campus to Chicago and sometimes it only costs $1! I'm serious, a BUCK! I would rather do that than drive any day. Plus, I am not a fan of driving at all. I think the website is www.megabus.com I agree with Lori, holiday weekends are mostly family time for me too, and the closer to the spring the better. Once the summer gets rolling, it gets nuts. Right? Hell, if its anything like last summer it will be insane! I had 12 weddings between June and October.

Anyhow, my motto this NYE: "I'm ringing in the New Year in my sweatpants rather than sequins!" And let me tell you, I am happy about it. I always get so nervous with the drunk drivers. I don't think I'm going to have any cocktails tonight either getting over being sick and such. Our choices this evening include sparkling Pear, Apple, and Cherry juices! I think this is the first year ever I have stayed in since middle school, and the first year I haven't gone out to the bar or to a friends house since I turned 21. I'm loving it tho.

Ok, going to spend some time with Andrew. I'm on the same time as NYC, so its 10:02 here.

Once again, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Meredith

I have my wine by me by the computer and am toasting each and everyone of you. Thanks for making my 2010 such a wonderful and blessed year and here's to 2011.

Janet I am one hour later than you. I have Fox on now and watching Times Square. My lobster was real good and I did boil mine, I thought of broiling it but wasn't sure how and for how long, never did it that way. Wish I was thinking and got another one. DH looked at my lobster tail and thought I made a mistake as it was so small. I got worried, but nope I even had left overs and gave some to him. It was .37 of a pound. That tells me when I eat good solid Protein I have fantastic restriction. I melted a chunk of butter too and thought what the heck it's New Years. I think I had almost all the butter left. So not bad.

Well back to playing a card game with DH, called 3 - 13. I can never win! Either that or might do some Kinect

Lori, I already had some wine.......yep, ole tea toter me! My SIL's boss made it......Honey Lemon! It was good! I am ringing in the New Year watching Fox too. That violinist is awesome!

Janet, the steak was delish, and just the right portion. I had a salad, then I went off the rails and had a small sweet potato. I know, I almost made it. I did not go over my pts for the day.

Apples.......Monopoly.....I love it!

Sndy......What is a Dirty Girl Scout Martini? lol

Again.......HAPPY 2011!

I want to wish all you lovely ladies a "Happy new year"! It won't be 1-1-11 for another 1,ooo years (kina puts it in perspective does it not?).

Anyway onward and upward to our hopes and dreams,,,,may we all reach them....

and you too Chris!

Love you all...

~Kelly~

Happy New Year to you all! We are back from our dinner safe and sound. I had three nice crab legs - I actually spluged and had a tiny bit of butter - I dipped a corner of it barely in the butter but oh my, I could really taste that butter -- used hardly any of that butter, but I enjoyed the heck out of it. Also had some cold shrimp and a few bites of DH's prime rib. And was stuffed. No dessert -- me and Merry will Celebrate with some sugar free vanilla yogurt later. Aylah is here -- she has her Disco Dance Party CD in and her roller skates on and is blowing noise makers in the living room -- fun fun!

Well, I do know there are some reasonable places near Grant park to stay in Chicago - when we went we splurged and stayed at the Drake which was lovely, but it was expensive. parking is out of sight -- like $75 per day so we don't want to have a bunch of cars downtown Chicago - so probably the best idea is to stay out near Cheri's house and then carpool or take the train into the city -- train's are easy -- used to take them in LA and they are a great way to get around. I think that's the best plan.

To HerestothenewDecade - congrats on your band and yes, sounds like Janet gave you the right advice -Gas X but the walking is the best thing of all. Walk as much as you can and you'll feel better. You are going to love the new you.

Tina, I'm excited for you for Monday too - I hope you get your band date - I agree -- you should get back in the groove of driving. Sounds like your partner kinda took over your life and I think you need to take it back.

Apples, hope you win at Monopoly. Lori, what you're taking tomorrow sounds perfect Yes, just eat a meatball - sounds good -- if they insist tell them you have wheat allergies (works better than saying you "watch what you eat"). LOL. Of course there's probably wheat products in the meatballs but most people don't realize that either.

Julie, glad you posted and Happy new Year - hope this new year brings you better health.

Janet that was a very nice message you posted -- thank you and as Apples said, "back at you".

Arelene, hope all is well in your neighborhood - scary stuff. You take care and stay safe. Good going on the choo choo today - proud of you.

Joyce nice to hear from you too -- good going on the gym.

Apples, Joyce is about 3-1/2 south of me in Kansas City area, so she could meet us here and then it's about 5 hours exactly from my house to Chicago. But if you'd rather fly, that's fine too.

Eva, you are such a good parent to your plants - such a good idea with the Christmas lights -- you are so smart - I never would have thought of that.

Jodi, you have a great New Year too when you read this after your holy day. Sorry you can't Celebrate New Years like everyone else.

Well to everyone else - happy happy New Year and much continued Lap Band Success in 2011!!! Thank you all for a wonderful year and looking forward to another year of our friendship. I'll be toasting you all later.

Linda

Hey Guys! Im at my sisters 6 am 1/1/11 just waking up. Of course i didnt drink last night but it was fun anyway. I went to the nursing home and spent some time with the older folks. A lot of them at this home are in really bad shape. They need round the clock care and have nurses taking care of them so it sure was nice for them to have people there to visit them. My sister took her guitar to the home and sang a bunch of songs...old songs and some of her new songs. They were so excited that a country music star was in there singing to them...how special is that. It was really good for my sister too. She even hung around after helping people get their cake and tea.

I was bad last night but there was nothing else to eat lol. I had enchillada's. Homeade. They really didnt have anything else for me to eat here :( i feel guilty but what was i gonna do? Starve? I was so hungry and i only ate 2 little ones and a spoon of rice. Like i said, i hadnt had a chance to eat all day so i was starving.

Linda, You are right, she has taken over my life..however, i sometimes forget in the moment of being angry at her that i let her. I turned my life over to her for so long that now it is a integral part of this relationship. I really cant forget that i let her. That this isnt all her fault. I stopped doing for myself in the midst of depression and let her do everything for me. But now that i want to get healthy, she is still having issues with me gaining my independence. She doesnt think she is, but we had a huge argument yesterday about me driving. She told me im not allowed to drive our car because she thinks i will wreck it...or run it into the shop. I would never do that. She just doesnt want me going anywhere. Then she sais, well "If you can prove to me , you are going where you say you are, then maybe i would let you." Then sais "if you want to drive you need to get a job for gas because im not paying for it. OMG! Im going nuts about this. Im trying to gain more independence but she wont let me go anywhere. Its crazy. My sister thinks its just crazy. I wouldnt go very far and i would never go drink or drug. She is worried i will go get drunk or screw someone else or something (TMI) Idk , its crazy. All i want to do is go to a OA meeting and maybe have coffee with someone. Im trying to form friendships.

I met a nice lady at the nursing home who i am going to try to go see once a week or something. Take her food and stuff..talk with her. I need friends so bad. But of course i wont be able to drive myself...ARG! I asked my dad to help me get a car because my mother left me some money when she died and he still hasnt given it to me. Im hoping he will help me out. Plus i told him i need some money for counseling. My ins prob wont pay for my entire therapy bill. We will see if he helps out. He is a huge part of my abuse issues so maybe he will see that i really need counseling.

Sorry that i wrote you a book but sometimes i just need to vent and spill my guts....well a lot of the time i do these day :P

Love you guys!!!

Laters,

Tina

I hope everyone had a safe and happy NYE. LauraK, how did it go? Wishing you the best night ever.

One of the hazards of going to bed early on NYE is waking up early on NYD. There is nobody around except my faithful sidekick Charlie (my lab). He is keeping my feet warm while I post. I wanted to put the recipe out here for the drink I had last night. It taste like a thin mint girl scout cookie - only better.

Dirty Girl Scout Martini

4 oz Svedka Vodka

4 oz Godiva chocolate Liqueur

1 oz Peppermint Schnapps

Warning - there is 771 calories in this recipe and takes a little over 2 hours of biking to burn it off. I am going to hit the exercise bike right now for hour number 2. I did an hour yesterday. :P

I am so bored and ready for this vacation to be over with. I think next winter we should get together somewhere warm after Christmas (though it seems like everyone's having bad weather) for several days. I'm sitting here waiting for my DH to get home from work, after which he'll go to bed until this evening. We'll watch TV together a few hrs and then he'll go back to work. It's dark and gray outside but warm. I'll go outside for a walk and I bought another book to read today but I am bored and lonely. Next year I'll do something different. In the past I would have spent time with my daughter but she has pretty much shut me out. I'd go get my grandkids and have them over but my DH has to sleep during the days. I've been junking up the thread but there's only so much I can write.

I've been on the verge of tears for the last few days. I am not a hobby person. I don't do crafts. I'm really feeling sorry for myself. I could do laundry and I'm going to clean my china cabinet. Maybe I'll have my husband take out the boxes for the Christmas stuff and I'll get that taken down. Now that I'm not having anymore parties there just isn't that much to do around here. I don't watch football or Rose Parades and I haven't watched Dick Clark and the ball drop in NYC for years. It's amazing how little TV I've watched because none of the shows I like are on over Christmas, plus my husband is the one who keeps the TV on all the time and he's asleep or at work. All I want to do at night is eat because there's nothing else to do. New Years Day has to be one of the most boring days of the year. So if someone wants to plan another outing after Christmas next year, I'm game. This is ridiculous.

I'm also making a New Year's Resolution to find at least one friend who likes to go out and do things. They'll probably have to be unmarried or have a husband like mine who doesn't require their constant presence. My mother has a much more active social life than me and most of her friends are dead. OK. My sense of humor is returning. But she and my dad actually went to some friends last night. My brother in MI has no time off the rest of this week (he's an ER Dr.) or I'd drive up to GR and spend time with him. I'm going to call my sister Kris and see what her family is doing today. If they're just staying home, maybe I'll drop in for a few hours. But they have a lot of relatives on her husbands side of the family that live close to them, so they may be busy.

I can spend only so much time by myself feeling sorry for myself. Gotta find something to do with someone. Apples, if I could swoop you out of hibernation I would. I've got a feeling we could talk forever.

Tina, what can I say. You know what you've done to yourself. You'll figure out what you need to do to get out of it. Are the kids yours or your partners? Are you in the manic phase of your disease? Are you on meds to keep you level so you can function appropriately? Were the drinking and drugs attempts at self-medicating your bi-polar in the past? Does your partner have good reason to be afraid of you going anywhere by yourself? Does your father have good reason to limit your access to funds? If so, you've got to start proving to people in small ways that you can be trusted and that this desire to take care of yourself and get better is not just another manifestation of the manic part of your disease. It's not going to happen overnight. You took yourself off your anti-depressants and put yourself into years of depression. Now you want to change overnite. Your partner's skepticism and lack of trust are understandable if not defensible. People may want you to change but you've created a pattern of behavior with them that's familiar, and now that you want to change you're breaking that pattern. Change makes people uncomfortable and they send out change back signals. It's up to you to prove to them that this is different and don't expect them to accept it overnight.

Cheri

Cheri, I swear, you could retire from teaching and be a counselor - you are right on in your message to Tina. Sorry you are feel so lonely and blue. Wish I could help you out, but I'm too far away. The only good news I can pass along is that the sun is shining here today and supposed to shine all week so it should be getting to Chicago in the next few days. Only 12 outside, but at least the sun is out. Nice.

The only thing I can recommend to you is to do some exercise -- it should lift your spirits too -- is there an indoor place you could go? Maybe some gyms in your area are offering some free days you could take advantage of -- usually the first of every year there's some free deals.

Just got up -- Aylah crawled in bed with us and with her AND Merry there too wasn't much room for me - kept waking up and finally at 5:00 I asked Aylah to move back to her bed which is right next to ours -- it's one of those reclining chairs that is just perfect for her. Thank goodness we have that as we sleep downstairs and the other bedrooms are upstairs and she's too little to be upstairs by herself.

We kept Aylah again although Kstie seemed to be much better. Hopefully she didn't do anything stupid last night as we love Aylah but would be nice to have some of my weekend kid free.

Taping the Rose parade to watch in a little bit. Doesn't start here until 10:00. I need to go to the gym or do my step aerobics here. Our westher is fine -- no moisture -- just cold. I wouldn't care if we don't have any more snow -- would be just fine with me.

I plan to make splt pea Soup later. Sounds good in the cold weather. My DH loves it and I can use up the rest of the ham from Christmas dinner.

Well, need to get going. Have a good one everybody.

See ya later. Arlene, choo choo today???

Love ya, Linda

Hi Everyone - I got home at 3am I had a great time. I drank some wicked Margarita's it was so good. My husband had one drink and then drank soda the rest of the night, so I could drink. I was so tired I fell asleep in the car on the back home from the party. I had a wonderful time thanks to all for pushing me to go. I got up at 9am could not sleep no headache either yeah for me!!! I will be pushing my Water and crystal light today. Thanks to everyones suggestions on the little bowels and where to get them. I should be looking for 1/2 cup serving sizes correct? Janet - I actually already had little baby spoons. But I have never bought baby forks do you use those as well?

So can I have greek yogurt? I mean I see my Dr for a fill on the 4th and will be back on the Protein train and trying to get all the junk out of my system.

I forgot who suggested it but I pick up the magazine with Dr Oz on the front it talks about his green drink. It actually sounds pretty good. Do any of you do a detoxing green drink?

Melissa, I don't care for Dr. Oz too much. He obviously has never had a problem with food addiction himself and he actually likes eating the way he recommends. That makes him almost completely ineffective with genuine food addicts. We're not able to take his advice. At least not for long. Nor can we afford to eat the way he recommends. Oprah can afford it and she still can't follow it. That's the problem with so many of these gurus. They really don't understand addiction. I don't pay much attention to Oprah either when it comes to food because she blames everything on emotional eating. And she's had every form of counseling in the world on her show. She ought to be emotionally healthier than anyone, LOL. I don't watch the weight loss shows either because I'll never be able to follow those regimens or exercise like that. And all those things cost money. And for all her work on the Thighmaster, Suzanne Sommers still had plastic surgery on her legs. LOL. I take all the TV stuff with a grain of salt. Like Janet always says, getting better is hard work. Detoxing is an expensive fad that has come and gone for centuries.

As far as Greek yogurt is concerned, check the carb content. Or if you're doing WW check the pts. I've shared that what works for me is totally no carb days alternated with lower carb days when I need to lose weight. On no carb days you can't have it. On maintenance days you can. Or if you're going no carb days with healthy carb suppers, save it for supper. If it makes you want more and its easy to keep eating it because it is a slider, you probably shouldn't be eating it.

Talked with my sister, Kris, a long time on the phone this morning. Talked a lot about my daughter. She, too, is frustrated that my daughter won't communicate and seems so angry. Kris has been like her big sister growing up. They're only 8 yrs apart.

I'm going to try to see if I can take my daughter's boys to the movies today. Going to look at theaters for what's playing. Love you all.

Cheri

Gosh, Cheri.....I agree with you...you need to form some friendships outside of your work friends so you will have someone to coffee or lunch with on days like this. It has to be terribly lonely with your DH working nights and sleeping days. I can feel your sorrow and, yes, I would love it if you cold scoop me up and take me for a fun-filled day in the city. You'll have to picture my life and surroundings in order to understand that I could be in that lonesome state every day of my life if I did not throw some friends into the mix. I NEED to get off this farm every other day or I go stir crazy. Even when my schedule is extremely busy, I need to find time for see people and connecting with my friends. You need to do that for yourself also. You stated that you have started to pull away from church ppl and choir. Is it that these things filled up some time for you and you are now missing that connection?

I have an idea for you.....try to see if there is a LB support group in your area or reach out to ppl on LBT that are in your area....maybe would be an opportunity to form a few friendships. Heck, Sandy is not that far from you. Maybe meet up with her once a month for coffee. I find it sooooooooooo ironic. You live in an area just spilling with people. I live in such a small community that the opportunity to meet new ppl is almost impossible. One of the reasons I started going to my church....opportunities.

Happy New Year to All! We had a wonderful NYE together. The first we have ever spent alone together. Weird, huh? We had a great time and went to bed way too late but slept in till 7am. DH is now out with the truck and plow trying to get the snow cleaned off the driveways. Just looked out the window to see him walking back to get my truck. Can't see behind the buildings but think he must have gotten the plow stuck and needs to pull. Most likely will have to get my snowman suit on and go help if he calls.

Yep, got the call..later

Good Morning Gang! I wish all you a prosperous 2011!

I am watching OWN network. It is about all the new shows that are starting next week. I had quit watching Oprah, but I think her network will have some cool shows.

Okay, Choo! Choo! I had one of my oatmeal/eggwhite pancakes. I could only eat a half. lunch is brisket and Black eye peas. I have to eat a few of them.

Melissa, I told you about Dr. Oz on the First magazine. Really good article on certain spices to eat to rev up metabolism.

Cheri...my youngest DS is pulling the same kind of crap right now with his dad and his brother. Refuses to talk to either of them at all. Playing the blame game and there is nothing to connect it to. Kind of came out of the blue and it's been tough. Tough love is working it's way and I and DH are willing to wait it out until he is ready to come around and sit down and work it out. It's frustrating but only advice I have is keep the door open and let her wallow for her bit of time and hopefully she will get to the point where she is ready. I've tried everything possible and have gotten no where. I've given up on that bit of it and just keep it open for him to communicate with me but I do not back down on my conviction and how I feel about what he is doing to his dad and brother. Keep seeing the grandkids and ask your DD once in awhile if she is ready to talk.

DH got the plow out by the time I got dressed to go out. Whew....good for me.

Melissa, I don't care for Dr. Oz too much. He obviously has never had a problem with food addiction himself and he actually likes eating the way he recommends. That makes him almost completely ineffective with genuine food addicts. We're not able to take his advice. At least not for long. Nor can we afford to eat the way he recommends. Oprah can afford it and she still can't follow it. That's the problem with so many of these gurus. They really don't understand addiction. I don't pay much attention to Oprah either when it comes to food because she blames everything on emotional eating. And she's had every form of counseling in the world on her show. She ought to be emotionally healthier than anyone, LOL. I don't watch the weight loss shows either because I'll never be able to follow those regimens or exercise like that. And all those things cost money. And for all her work on the Thighmaster, Suzanne Sommers still had plastic surgery on her legs. LOL. I take all the TV stuff with a grain of salt. Like Janet always says, getting better is hard work. Detoxing is an expensive fad that has come and gone for centuries.

As far as Greek yogurt is concerned, check the carb content. Or if you're doing WW check the pts. I've shared that what works for me is totally no carb days alternated with lower carb days when I need to lose weight. On no carb days you can't have it. On maintenance days you can. Or if you're going no carb days with healthy carb suppers, save it for supper. If it makes you want more and its easy to keep eating it because it is a slider, you probably shouldn't be eating it.

Cheri

You are right about Oprah and the other Gurus LOL. I was just thinking I never eat enough veggies or fruit and was thinking it would help. Except i guess it is a liquid and would go straight through the band though. Oh on the Greek yogurt I like it cause it has a higher Protein content and very thick and I usually like it for Breakfast.

Good Morning Gang! I wish all you a prosperous 2011!

I am watching OWN network. It is about all the new shows that are starting next week. I had quit watching Oprah, but I think her network will have some cool shows.

Okay, Choo! Choo! I had one of my oatmeal/eggwhite pancakes. I could only eat a half. lunch is brisket and Black eye peas. I have to eat a few of them.

Melissa, I told you about Dr. Oz on the First magazine. Really good article on certain spices to eat to rev up metabolism.

Arlene - Oops I read the wrong part LOL