Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Welcome home all you Easter travelers. Hope all had a good weekend. I actually tried some new foods for my band. Fresh spinach salad and a tiny bit of scalloped potatoes also carrots. All went down well of course I chewed a lot. So no embarrassing Easter dinner moments!! Not that any one but I would have noticed. Thank you for all recent posts on what you all eat. It has been very helpful.

Debb, I was weak for the first month or so I found I felt much better if I had 4oz. Of white grape juice=which is my favorite juice. It will get better.

Holly

April exercise 7/20

Banded 1/29/09

weight.png[/img]

Debb, you're still in the healing phase and losing weight can be tricky during this time. I know I stalmated for several weeks after surgery and then lost 5 lbs. in one week and have continued to lose 1 to 2 lbs. weekly since. Although you may not be losing weight, you are probably losing inches. Are you weighing every day? If so, please stop and weigh yourself just once a week -- weigh yourself the same time each week (before you eat or drink anything). Keep up the good work, keep positive thoughts, this will work for you if you work the band. Remember, it's only a tool, not a miracle cure for obesity. Good luck to you.

thanks Holly- it is just so discouraging. And you know what- After 4 weeks- i eat reg food, all kinds- never a problem- worse problem is i sometimes eat to fast- no biggy.

Gosh- i feel like the only one in lapband land not losing- everyone is doing great.

Having a positive attitude and not giving up on yourself are two important steps to making sure that you are successful in any area of life. Some times are tough, but you will prevail!

I went to my general practitioner today to make sure that I am able to tolerate surgery. She seems to think that this will work well for me! I hope she's right! I got some blood drawn and she is preparing my letter to get me ready.

One thing I find interesting is that everyone has different menus for themselves when figuring out what will and will not work with their band. Trial and error at it's finest!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Meredith

Edited by Meredith2424
spelling

Good Morning Gang - I'm Back !!!!

OMW we were busy over the weekend.. I am just going to start out with quick notes to our newbies :0) - You guys have been giving great advice and I really can't top what Apples, Long & Phyl have already said - but just want to let you all know that I have read your post and glad you are joining us..

Janet~

I wanted to thank you for always posting such useful information. Your profile and albums are such an inspiration to those of us who are just starting the banded part of our journey! I had a tough week last week, having gained 3 lbs of the 25 lbs I had lost since surgery on 3-2-09. But this morning I weighed and I was back to 277. I've been having 750-850 cal/day. Keeping my quantity to 1/2 c per meal and working the rest of the Protein and cal to fluids. It's been tough. I had my first fill on 4-7, only 3cc in a 10cc realize band. Here's where I wrote about the experience... http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f84/calling-all-march-09-bandsters-we-need-name-86511/index51.html

I will certainly join this thread, as it is so useful to read from someone who has been there and has TONS of wisdom and experience. : )

Gracias! : )

peas out!

laura

Laura Welcome !!!

Slow down - you were just banded - you are doing great !!! One day at a time - it doesn't come off overnight - I know that we think it should cuz we are hardly eating compared to how we use to eat...

Hi Guys- I am looking for some support. I was banded on March 10 after having my surgery moved from Dec due to my Dr. health etc. So I had a big reunion for my improv group from college that was very importnat to me. I bout a ticket in November thinking I would have lost some weight and I just e-mailed them and told them I can't come I feel so ashamed. boy I am really feeling sorry for myself- I am embarrased that I am so weak-

Marty - Welcome - Glad you joined us... #1 Nov is 7 months away - why did you cancel your trip !!! You have just started this journey - why are you giving up before you even start...

Hello everyone. I am fairly new to this site and this support group is exactly what I was looking for and hoping to find. I am getting banded at the end of may, or beginning of june depending on my surgeons schedule. I will find out the date for sure on may 7th when I meet with him to go over my paperwork.

Meredith - Welcome - You are so lucky to have this surgery available to you while you are so young

Can you help me?

Spayneuter - Of course

I could use some support from someone on here. I started out doing everything right in October 2008. But gradually got back to eating anything I wanted other than I have never touched soda pop. I lost 23 lbs and was so proud and have gained back about 7 and now getting the same old failure feelings back again as before.

I try to come up with excuses and then I give in. They eat Mexican, Chinese Italian etc. Not only is it destroying my diet it also is hurting my pocketbook. I also have been ordering iced tea with lemon and take very few sips but I am drinking before and after meals. Is that all y ou eat for lunch is salads? Do you ever drink your Protein drinks anymore and how much Protein are we suppose to be getting at this point. What kind of exercising are you doing?

Cheryl[/quote

Cheryl - Glad to have you - Pack your lunch and that way when you are invited - you can say you already have your lunch - I go out to eat w/my GF maybe once every couple of weeks but not 4 or 5 days a week - just tell them you are saving $$$ and go once in a while but not all the time

Please send me help too! I have been stuck at 45 lbs. for 6-8 months and not feeling motivated! I need a quick something to jumpstart this again. I know my band is tight enough because I get things stuck. I had a fill on 2/9/09 and since then so much gets stuck, even my meds! Anything will help! Please reply!

Jilliepooh - Glad to have you..

Hi, I had my surgery 3/12, my starting wt was 207. In the first two weeks I lost 12 lbs, since then I have lost NOTHING. I have cut my calories from about 2500 a day to 750 a day- i walk 40 mins (2 miles) 3 or 4 times a week. I dont understand. I have had no problems eating, nothing uncomfortable, I had my surgery on a thrus and went back to work tues.

Anyone else having problems like this? I sent my doc an email with what was going on and he said i was coming along fine...how can that be??? all these other people are doing so well. He said maybe i need a fill- if i eat any less i think i could pass out.

The other thing is i am so incrediably tired. On the weekend i sleep all the time (ex- bed at 11, wake at 1pm, nap 3 hrs during day and sleep by 11.30). I have a hard time staying awake at work.

can anyone give me advise, opinion, am i being a drama queen???

Deb Welcome you are just 1 month out - take a chill pill - this doesn't happen overnight..

Ok - To all above - most have already read the great help that you were given while I was visit my DS & family this last weekend

Here's my 2 cents.

#1 Banding is NOT DIETING - Diets don't work what happens every time you go off your diet - you go back to eating normal - and then you slowly gain all your weight back - WAKE UP CALL - EATING NORMAL IS WHAT GOT US FAT IN THE FIRST PLACE :0)

We have to learn to eat healthy !!!

#2 It's not the magic cure all easy fix to our issues with food. Our issue with food are mostly mental IMHO

#3 The weight isn't going to come off over night - but will tell you that 1/2 here a pound there all adds up and you will be totally surprised that by the end of the 1st year how fast those little #'s add up..

#4 Our bands are only tools - They don't make our food choices - they don't go out and exercise - they only provide restriction once you have gotten to your sweet spot - and for some that may take longer - but it will come and in the mean time you have to eat healthy

Our band's don't stop us from eating slider foods (soft or liquid calories) Cookies - chips/dip - candy - Ice Cream - milkshakes - wine - margaritas etc - slip right thru the band

Janet's Secrets to weight loss and how I did it....

I tracked all my food for the 1st year. I kept a little note book in my purse - my doc gave me a calorie counter book and if I needed to I would google how many calories where in my food and log it - but there are tons of sites where you can track on line.

I weighted and measured my food for correct portion size - who knows by sight how much 3 or 4 oz of something looks like.. I eat off dessert plates - I use children's silverware - and I have 1 cup bowls

I am not dieting - I am eating healthy - my prior diet was large portions - high fat and high sugar

My diet now consist of eating healthy 98% of the time allowing for treats 2% of the time and Exercise 3-4 days a week..

During my weight loss phase - I ate 800 - 1200 calories a day and varied them - I exercised 4-5 times a week - slowly at first then gradually increase my speed and time on the treadmill - I only did treadmill for this 1st 8 months - then last march got a trainer and now work out with weight 2 x week and do the treadmill 2 x week in addition to my weight work out...

Bander rules - Protein 1st, veggies and starches/carbs if any room left - tiny bites, eat slowly and chew well. no drinking after meals for at least 30 minutes

60 grms protein - per my doc

Tracking - weighting - measuring your food is all just a learning tool - you don't have to do this for the rest of your life - just until you have learned what 4 oz of meat looks like and that if it's fish it has about 150 cal for those 4 oz's - for us a serving size was a 16 oz steak - a large baked potato with the works and the basket of bread before our meal ever came along with the Soup and salad..

It's all about planing - and keeping the junk out of the house - we are food addicts - would you leave a bottle of booze on the counter if you had an recovering alcoholic in the house - hell no - so why would you have a choc cake on the counter or Cookies in the pantry if those are your trigger foods and you have no control if you start eating them

Keep a food calorie budget - allow for treats occasionally but withing your calorie budget - if you go over that budget that means you are going to have to increase your exercise and eat a little lighter the next day..

Ok - this is just some of my secrets - but they really aren't' secrets - but I gotta get to work and need to close this for now... So will check back later - Keep the questions - feelings etc coming we are all here for you..

Hi all,

Well my family and I missed the tornadoes in TN by 6 miles. Thank goodness!!!

I got another fill this past Tuesday. It was with the doc for the first time since after my banding in Sept 08. He is much more aggressive than the nurse. I have been sort of scared. I hope I am not too tight. The nurse always put in .2-.4 CC but the doc put in .8. I'm glad since I have only lost 2 lbs since being of January but since Tuesday alone I have lost 6 lbs. Of course that's what happens when you can barely get 3 Protein shakes down in a day. Today I ate a small sausage patty for lunch and 2 chicken wings for dinner. That was tough and slow but no PBing. I'm taking it slow because I know in a week or 2 there is such a big difference in the swelling or whatever it is that happens and then I can eat so much more. I needed that to get back on track and lose some weight.

Janet, what commercial did you do? And your before and after look great.

Long, do you have any pictures of you before and after? I'd love to see them.

Ms Bubba, I hope you continue to get better.

Apples, I PMd you and hope to see your pictures.

Also how did everyone decide what goal weight was right for you? The only reason I said 135 is because that is what the physch doc told me I should shoot for. Well I'm 1/2 way there now and it's only been 6 months. take care.

Niecey

Niecey - I did a tv commercial for my doc's office - part of it has shown on our local station - but not the whole thing with me talking - so far they just flash my before pic then you see me talking (but don't hear anything) now - so it's my after - it's really more about a commercial for the local channel and the doc's on their website...

Hello everyone...Nice to see so many new people on here. It's a great place for support and a good kick in the butt when needed.... Welcome..

I'm still the same today.....Dr said again, CT on Monday and then food......Can't even imagine how that will be anymore.... I did ask about my band this morning. He said that when the time is right we will re-start the fill process.. He also said that he still doesn't know what happened to me, but I have incredible adhesions in and around my organs..... Why me, I just don't know!!!!!! I'm now getting hospital bed bachache.....I try to walk it off, but it just comes back... Maybe only a few more days.... Keep your fingers crossed for me...

Taking care and have a Blessed Easter..............Julie

Julie - Hugs Girl Friend I have kept you in my prayers

[

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend. My sister came to town visited my family and me. We did a lot of shopping and spending time together. We also walked 4.5 miles everyday. I was pretty proud of myself for keeping up with her and not tiring first:tongue2:

Claudine - Glad you had a great time with your sis and great on the exercise !!!

Long - Love the current pictures - you go girl...

Phyl - didn't reconsign your new avatar - was that your easter bonnet??

Ok gang - I have been on here for and hr - and I need to get to work - my boss just came in - so I will ck back later

Hugs Janet

How long after eating are we suppose to wait to have a drink? I forgot and I am at work.

Cheryl

Cheryl

Per my doc 30 minutes !!! Some say 1 hr

Janet - thanks so much for reminding us of the secrets/tricks to weight loss with the band. I seem to often "forget" these things. I often struggle with wanting to eat when I am not hungry. I know it is called head hunger but I struggle with this different times of the day. If I am at work it is the mornings and If I am at home, like today, it is the afternoons. I often have to chant in my head - your not hungry, your not hungry. Most of the time it works. Other times I just get up and do something in the house and it does take my mind off of eating.

I wish I could keep that full/stuffed feeling after I eat for at least 2 hours. Or maybe this is a sign that I am in need of another fill??

Hi, Cheryl,

Mrs. Bubba had some complications following her surgery. I believe she said they nicked her liver. Typically, the liver, in those of us who are obese, is quite enlarged. That's one of the reasons they want us to kind of "crash diet" prior to surgery. Apparently, there is a dramatic difference in the size of the liver if we lose weight prior to surgery. My doc wanted me to lose 10% and/or get my BMI under 60... you see, I am 5 ft tall and I was well over 300#. I didn't quite lose the 10%, but I did get my BMI below 60, barely, prior to surgery.

The liver is a challenge for the surgeon when they do this surgery because they have to actually move it, from what I understand. If you have the "stomach" for it (sorry for the pun), watch a video of the surgery online and you will begin to understand. Nicking the liver is a very rare thing, but after watching the surgery, I can understand how that could happen.

12_4_44.gif 12_4_39.gif 12_4_41.gif

Fruits: I have to admit, I very rarely eat fruit. When we are here in the RV park, grapefruit abounds all winter. Lots of people have trees on their lots and we're always being offered grapefruit and lemons. Last year I did eat the grapefruit once in a while. But this season, I'm much "tighter" and I just don't include fruit because I don't know when I'd have it.. I'm pretty stuck in my habits of what I eat.

12_4_20.gif

Milk: We never have milk in our fridge or else I'd probably have Cereal for Breakfast sometimes. See... sharing this stuff has me thinking.... maybe I"m too rigid in what I eat! Maybe I need to mix it up a bit!! :blush::smile::tongue: Not to say I never have milk. I'll tell you how I get my milk... a couple of times a week I have a 16 oz sugar free, fat free latte at my favorite Starbucks (at home I have another favorite place). I think that's 140 calories for the fat free milk.

Hope this helps! Have a GREAT day.

Hey, thanks for asking about me..... I did not have my liver knicked during surgery...... Don't know where that came from.... Anyway, I was banded in August 08.... This has nothing to do with my band, but they did do a complete unfil... Something inside burst or ruptured for whatever reason and they had to do emergency surgery to save my life... I was becoming septic.... But they can't figure out what happened and why, so are doing what they can to make sure I'm healed up before letting me start eating and drinking again... I had a very severe attack on Tues 3-30 that started this whole mess......I'm ready for it to be over.... Had a test this morning and waiting to hear whether I can start taking anything by mouth again.... I'm very anxious and concerned about what happens if I can't. Have a good day everyone......

Janet, glad you're back...we don't give you much chance to rest up, do we...... Julie

Hey, thanks for asking about me..... I did not have my liver knicked during surgery...... Don't know where that came from.... Anyway, I was banded in August 08.... This has nothing to do with my band, but they did do a complete unfil... Something inside burst or ruptured for whatever reason and they had to do emergency surgery to save my life... I was becoming septic.... But they can't figure out what happened and why, so are doing what they can to make sure I'm healed up before letting me start eating and drinking again... I had a very severe attack on Tues 3-30 that started this whole mess......I'm ready for it to be over.... Had a test this morning and waiting to hear whether I can start taking anything by mouth again.... I'm very anxious and concerned about what happens if I can't. Have a good day everyone......

Janet, glad you're back...we don't give you much chance to rest up, do we...... Julie

Like I've said b/4, Julie....."Hurry....straighten up, girls...I hear Janet coming"!

Janet - thanks so much for reminding us of the secrets/tricks to weight loss with the band. I seem to often "forget" these things. I often struggle with wanting to eat when I am not hungry. I know it is called head hunger but I struggle with this different times of the day. If I am at work it is the mornings and If I am at home, like today, it is the afternoons. I often have to chant in my head - your not hungry, your not hungry. Most of the time it works. Other times I just get up and do something in the house and it does take my mind off of eating.

I wish I could keep that full/stuffed feeling after I eat for at least 2 hours. Or maybe this is a sign that I am in need of another fill??

Claudine

GF I struggle daily especially after dinner to to continue to eat. And when I can't fight the demons any longer - I have a snack pack popcorn .

Yes it could be a sign that you need a fill.. How are you after eating 4 oz of hard Protein.

My doc says 3 meals and 2 healthy Snacks - since I am a night time eater - I save my Snacks for night (budgetting my calories) and some doc's say eat 6 mini meals - I really beleive that you have to do what's best for you - what works for you - I have taken my doc's guide lines (low fat - limited sugar & starches/carbs) and work them in a way that works for me..

I eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup rice every night with my dinner - but I don't eat many other starches (white carbs) with my other meals - lunch today butternut squash & salmon - Breakfast was yogurt - I only counted calories and Protein grams during my weight loss phase - I eat mostly sf and I bake or bbq my fish/meat/chicken - Were as before I fried everything ate tons of cheese and went thru a tub of marg in 1 week - now a tub last me a month and I use I can't beleive it's not butter spray on my rice and veggies.

I was super tight on Friday - I could barely eat - Saturday still on the tight side when it came to eating hard protein - ate my 4 oz of steak and maybe 2 bite of veggies and one of rice - but then Saturday nite ate a whole piece of apple pie with ice cream.. and then some of my GD left over easter candy... Bad bad bad - In my defense - I don't eat candy at home - seem to do it when traveling - so it's an indulgence that I have every few months - and it usually does cause the scales to go up a couple of pounds - but now - I just come home go back to eating healthy and a little lighter and make sure I get my exercise in and they (the added weight) comes right back off

Some days I can eat and be hungry within 1 hour and other days - I can eat and stay full all day. It really depends on what you are eating (soft foods vs hard proteins) and whats going on in your life..

For me my band does not take away my hunger... and to me head hunger morphes itself in to physical hunger and I find if I am stressed or bored that head hunger kicks in big time.. This is one reason LBT & Facebook have become my transfer addictions - it keeps me busy..

And it's is normal to be hungry - Just thinks Breakfast at 7 or 8 - starving by lunch Normal it's time for a meal - 3 p.m. snack - dinner 6-7 starving again again meal time - snack around 9 and then to bed - This is normal so don't look at being hungry as not normal.:0)

Julie - Can't wait to hear the results of your test - prayer that you are healing well and can start taking nurisment by mounth again soon...

My Dad's colon burst too and I don't think there was a cause - crap just happens sometimes - I think of it as God's plan on teaching us stuff - a learning lesson for us.. I think and always have even before pple started talking about this on tv - that what ever happens to us happens for a reason that we are suppose to learn something from it - we might not realize it when it's happening - but we can always look back and see where something was learn.

I am glad that pple come here for support - it takes a village to raise a family :0) - I can say things one way - you can say the exact same thing but in another way - one person will be hit by what I said and the other by what you said so I love all the support that we have here - we all work together to help each other to succeed and keep the motivation up...

OOOOPS!! Sorry... I'm old.... I got you mixed up with someone else, I guess!

Janet,

That was my Easter bonnet yesterday, but it's just a hat I bought at COD a couple of years ago. Usually, it's pinned up on the wall with a red one that's just like it.

Like I've said b/4, Julie....."Hurry....straighten up, girls...I hear Janet coming"!

LOMA - :smile:

But yep Julie - you gotta think postitive that's half the battle in getting well...

Keep up posted...

Hugs J