Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

A couple of years ago I gave all of my dishes to my son when he set up a household after coming home from Iraq (In fact, think I gave him most of my furniture too). So...off I went to find a nice set of dinnerware that I could use everyday AND for special occasions. I found a fairly reasonable priced set. Sorento dinnerware is what I ended up with. Bought a set of 36 (when we entertain, we entertain on a large scale). Anyway, what I am getting to is that this set has ramkins which I use for some of my food. Also, the square little dessert plates are just the right size for other things. At first I was embarrassed using these plates in front of others. Now it's the norm. They work perfectly for me. You can get Sorento online and can order one piece at a time. I got the ruby and mixed it up with the celery green also.

IndioGirl55, I am still in the insurance process of approval. What a head ache. I live in a small rual town in Alaska and have to travel to Anchorage almost 500 miles one way to see the doctor. This is becoming a pain in the rear. I know it is important to me and I need to something about my weight for me and my family. I need to be around for many years to come. Thanks for the support.

Are we talking about the group on Sparkpeople? Give me specific directions to get onto the group and I'll do it!

You go to sparkpeople.com and create a free account, they have nutiriton and fitness tracker just like daily plate and then you go to spark teams under the community tab and search for the team 300 pounds plus.

Hi Janet,

Today was a hard day for me. I had to take my mother to the doctor and the doctor was running very late and then I had to take my mother to the pharmacy to get her prescriptions filled -- all in all, I missed lunch and I was late getting home for dinner. I was FAMISHED. I ate a reasonable dinner (I actually made chili from scratch two days ago -- a big deal for me) -- I had chili -- and then I had both a SF chocolate pudding and a SF frozen bar. Not a good idea. I need to choose one or the other. By 8pm I was hungry and craving and I gave in and had some popcorn and a bit of chocolate -- I didn't binge. Even though I regret having the chocolate and the popcorn, the fact that I didn't binge is a HUGE change for me. And you know what -- I wanted something MORE than food. After the chocolate, it was as if I was looking for something else that I couldn't put my finger on. It wasn't about the chocolate. It was about something more than that. The chocolate seemed boring, quite frankly. I think I'm on the precipice of something -- figuring out what unhealthy food means to me. Wouldn't that be amazing? I'm still tracking my food and I'm still exercising. I'm doing what you recommend. I'm still here and just because I had a bit of a slip, so what. I'm human. Back on track tomorrow.

You're a lifesaver Janet. I'm so glad I found you. It's great to have someone to be accountable to.

bonnie

Well, I bought alot from QVC this year for Christmas, but those days came to a stop today.....my husband got a call that is still furloughed till further notice. It just doesn't seem right that all these companies are furloughing employees week by week. I am sure it has something to do with them paying unemployment. Hopefully, they will call him back next week. I haven't seen it this bad since he got out of the service in 72. Well, one good thing, since being banded I love Beans. Is that a good Protein ???because I might be eating alot of them.

Hugs Charlene - Yep Beans great source of Protein :tongue2: Ya it's about the unemployment - that's such a shame - Prayer are being said...

A couple of years ago I gave all of my dishes to my son when he set up a household after coming home from Iraq (In fact, think I gave him most of my furniture too). So...off I went to find a nice set of dinnerware that I could use everyday AND for special occasions. I found a fairly reasonable priced set. Sorento dinnerware is what I ended up with. Bought a set of 36 (when we entertain, we entertain on a large scale). Anyway, what I am getting to is that this set has ramkins which I use for some of my food. Also, the square little dessert plates are just the right size for other things. At first I was embarrassed using these plates in front of others. Now it's the norm. They work perfectly for me. You can get Sorento online and can order one piece at a time. I got the ruby and mixed it up with the celery green also.

I will have to ck that site out... How was your hotel party on New Years - Bet you had a great time..

IndioGirl55, I am still in the insurance process of approval. What a head ache. I live in a small rual town in Alaska and have to travel to Anchorage almost 500 miles one way to see the doctor. This is becoming a pain in the rear. I know it is important to me and I need to something about my weight for me and my family. I need to be around for many years to come. Thanks for the support.

My4akkids - Welcome - Ya it sounds like a pain - but it will be worth it - I was lucky ppo got approved real fast and my doc's office scheduled all my million of preop test.. One of my orignal lucky #7 girls was from Alaska too - and she had to travel like you to go to the doctor.. I am lucky my doc is 20 miles away...

Hi Janet,

Today was a hard day for me. I had to take my mother to the doctor and the doctor was running very late and then I had to take my mother to the pharmacy to get her prescriptions filled -- all in all, I missed lunch and I was late getting home for dinner. I was FAMISHED. I ate a reasonable dinner (I actually made chili from scratch two days ago -- a big deal for me) -- I had chili -- and then I had both a SF chocolate pudding and a SF frozen bar. Not a good idea. I need to choose one or the other. By 8pm I was hungry and craving and I gave in and had some popcorn and a bit of chocolate -- I didn't binge. Even though I regret having the chocolate and the popcorn, the fact that I didn't binge is a HUGE change for me. And you know what -- I wanted something MORE than food. After the chocolate, it was as if I was looking for something else that I couldn't put my finger on. It wasn't about the chocolate. It was about something more than that. The chocolate seemed boring, quite frankly. I think I'm on the precipice of something -- figuring out what unhealthy food means to me. Wouldn't that be amazing? I'm still tracking my food and I'm still exercising. I'm doing what you recommend. I'm still here and just because I had a bit of a slip, so what. I'm human. Back on track tomorrow.

You're a lifesaver Janet. I'm so glad I found you. It's great to have someone to be accountable to.

bonnie

Bonnie - Girl - you are ok - Like I said before you have to figure out what works for you - I eat a snack pack of popcorn most nights - and I will have 2 puddings and a fudgecicle in one night - I budget my calories to compensate for the times that I am hungry.. If you are within your calorie budget for the day - you are fine..

I know that pple will disagree with me - but if you haven't eaten all day - and get all your calories in between - 5 - midnite - so what - I do that somedays - it's what works for me - today I had a skinny latte 100 c then dinner enchillada 300 calories beans 130 calories - popcorn 100 calories - hot choc 100 calories and I will have some pudding later

The only thing that I would consider a slip is the real choc and that's cuz of the calories..

And yes knowing it's that are cravings isn't really about food most of the time is a great accomplishment..

You has a stressfull day - where you were doing for others and wanting food was about you... Your reward to yourself - but it's not that comforting when we realize that it's not really food that we are craving but attention..

Hey Janet...our hotel stay was fun...nice to see everyone from our lake resort. Ready for a new year and ready to get the he!! out of here and head to FL. We leave on the 13th and get back on Feb 16-18. Will be doing a lot of my guards volunteer work from my lap top but that's OK. Has to be done. I have packed already for our trip except for some internet deals I got and waiting till they are delivered. I should have plenty of warm weather clothes now.

Ready to be stormed in for yet ANOTHER weekend. Fourth in a row. Crud!!!!!!!!!!! It is actually nice being stormed in sometimes but too many times is a pain. We have a great movie collection and I still have some year end things to do so it will force me to get them done.

Everyone have a great weekend and stay safe!

Arlene, sorry to hear about hubby's job. I hope that layoff isn't for very long. I thought of you tonight. I was watching some shows I DVR'd on Discovery Health, there were 3 of them: Half ton Mom, Half Ton Dad and half Ton Teen. They were all out of Houston and some bariatric hospital there called Renasciance or something like that. Goodness you have the Big Medicine Dr. and these too there. Lots of options.

Arlene, sorry to hear about hubby's job. I hope that layoff isn't for very long. I thought of you tonight. I was watching some shows I DVR'd on Discovery Health, there were 3 of them: Half ton Mom, Half Ton Dad and half Ton Teen. They were all out of Houston and some bariatric hospital there called Renasciance or something like that. Goodness you have the Big Medicine Dr. and these too there. Lots of options.

Yep, we have a lot of options when it comes to Bariatric doctors. I watched those shows too. It seems like those doctors are more agressive in treating the super morbid obese. They need help too. I think that when you reach a certain BMI you can't lose without sugery. My BMI was over 50 and the doctor said it is difficult to successfully lose and keep the weight off without gastric bypass. Then when he saw the condition of my insides banding was the only option for me. He is pleased with my weight loss. I wish I had been stricter on my eating. I know I could have lost at least 20lb more by now,but this is a new year and I WILL lose 60 more lbs this year.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yep, we have a lot of options when it comes to Bariatric doctors. I watched those shows too. It seems like those doctors are more agressive in treating the super morbid obese. They need help too. I think that when you reach a certain BMI you can't lose without sugery. My BMI was over 50 and the doctor said it is difficult to successfully lose and keep the weight off without gastric bypass. Then when he saw the condition of my insides banding was the only option for me. He is pleased with my weight loss. I wish I had been stricter on my eating. I know I could have lost at least 20lb more by now,but this is a new year and I WILL lose 60 more lbs this year.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I have every confidence in the world that you will get there. You are doing great. You've had a lot of stress factors going on since surgery too with your mother, daughter and taking care of your granddaughter. It's not important when we get there, just that we do. And we never give up.

I get the impression from watching Big Medicine that those docs are very partial towards bypass and not so much for the band. Is that true? Any idea when some new episodes will air?

Hello all. I have been trying to read some of the threads to get know about yall...but there are so many..may take awhile lol. Anyway my name is amanda and i am 28. i live in northern Louisiana. I was banded on june 10th'08

I look forward to hearing rfom and sharing with yall.

happy new years...new beginings.

WooHoo!! The scale finally moved in the right direction again. I've been battling the same couple pounds since mid Dec and even gained a few over Christmas. I hit 93 lbs lost this morning, well 92.7 but I round up!! :thumbup: I want 100 so bad, I am hoping by Valentines day. I also did my monthly measurements today, I usually do them on my band date of the 5th of the month but didn't have to go to work this morning and thought 2 days didn't matter. Even though in Dec. I only lost 4 lbs since Thanksgiving I lost about an inch everywhere. My biggest change in measurements since surgery and now are in my waist and hips. My waist is down 9 inches and my hips are down 11.5 inches. My 'butt shelf' has disappeared! DH gets home today, he's been out of town and I can't wait to tell him. He's my biggest supporter.

I have every confidence in the world that you will get there. You are doing great. You've had a lot of stress factors going on since surgery too with your mother, daughter and taking care of your granddaughter. It's not important when we get there, just that we do. And we never give up.

I get the impression from watching Big Medicine that those docs are very partial towards bypass and not so much for the band. Is that true? Any idea when some new episodes will air?

They are partial to bypass for those who need to lose 100 lbs or more, but they do lap band on a lot of people. They won't do bypass on people with certain immune problems or cancer patients. That is what I understood from the seminar.

The doctor told me he thought they would have new episodes this year, but he did not have a date.

Well, gotta go to Texas Children's Hospital. My 12yr old granddaughter has diabetes and went into keytone acidosis.Not sure if I am spelling that right. I think the holiday's got her off her diet and routine. She is better. It must be so hard for children to stay away from sugar especially during the holidays.

They are partial to bypass for those who need to lose 100 lbs or more, but they do lap band on a lot of people. They won't do bypass on people with certain immune problems or cancer patients. That is what I understood from the seminar.

The doctor told me he thought they would have new episodes this year, but he did not have a date.

Well, gotta go to Texas Children's Hospital. My 12yr old granddaughter has diabetes and went into keytone acidosis.Not sure if I am spelling that right. I think the holiday's got her off her diet and routine. She is better. It must be so hard for children to stay away from sugar especially during the holidays.

I have no idea what that is but I hope your granddaughter will be okay. I can't imagine being a child and having to stay away from sweets this time of year. Poor thing.

Hello all. I have been trying to read some of the threads to get know about yall...but there are so many..may take awhile lol. Anyway my name is amanda and i am 28. i live in northern Louisiana. I was banded on june 10th'08

I look forward to hearing rfom and sharing with yall.

happy new years...new beginings.

Hi!!

WELCOME, Amanda!

So how have you been doing since your banding??

This is a great place to come for support, encouragement, advice, and Janet will give you some "tough love" if/when you need it!!

Happy New Year to you, too!

Hi Janet,

I haven't been on the website for a while as I was so disapointed with my weight loss even though the doctor says it is fine. My surgery was June 10th and only 31 lbs lost but 8 inches in my waist and two sizes smaller. The doctor says to have patience. He says my age and the medication slows the weight loss but it WILL come off but just slower. I am off two medications and a couple of others have been reduced in the strength.

I thought I remembered a question a while back about developing a cough. Has anyone developed a cough usually after eating or drinking? I was wondering if it is associated with the band or not. The cough seemed to have begun after my last fill which has a lot of restriction.

One other good thing that happened is that I went to Siesta Key in Florida for the past week and actually wore a bathing suit and did not feel uncomfortable and I even bought a new suit a couple of sizes smaller than the one I took. My summer capris I took were too big and baggy--what a good feeling. I hate to buy smaller sizes in a way--I like to see that I have really lost the weight and I guess the baggy pants boost my good feelings. I did buy a couple of tops and for the first time in a long time I bought regular XL and not XXL.

I know I still have a long way to go but it is nice to realize that I AM doing this and I feel SO much better--both physically abd mentally.