Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What the H*LL is wrong with me!

I can relate Brandy. I really didn't want my daughter to have gastric bypass. I was very against it. I have heard of people with big problems from not being able to absorb nutrients from their food. She has done very well though. She had her surgery 2 1/2 years ago, and just had a baby. If your daughter is good about taking all the Vitamins she needs, she should be fine. How old is she?

If you have one of the larger bands, it is more difficult to find the sweet spot. There are a lot of people that just have trouble with the band. They are either too tight or too loose. Or too tight in the morning and too lose in the evening. Unfortunately, the band does make us diet, where as gastric bypass patients can just sit on the couch and lose weight. After the first year, that is not as true though.

If I can help you in any way, please let me know!

I can relate Brandy. I really didn't want my daughter to have gastric bypass. I was very against it. I have heard of people with big problems from not being able to absorb nutrients from their food. She has done very well though. She had her surgery 2 1/2 years ago, and just had a baby. If your daughter is good about taking all the Vitamins she needs, she should be fine. How old is she?

If you have one of the larger bands, it is more difficult to find the sweet spot. There are a lot of people that just have trouble with the band. They are either too tight or too loose. Or too tight in the morning and too lose in the evening. Unfortunately, the band does make us diet, where as gastric bypass patients can just sit on the couch and lose weight. After the first year, that is not as true though.

If I can help you in any way, please let me know!

Hi,

Just got your post. She'll be 20 in July. I've already stocked up on all the Vitamins and stuff she needs for now and she's pretty good when it comes to following directions about certain things so hopefully she'll continue to do this even if she's not living with us in the future.

One of the nurses at the hospital kept stressing that the people that "come back" to the hospital are the ones that are dehydrated or not taking their vitamins etc... and she wasn't playing any games. I'm wondering if she had the surgery herself because she was so adamant about it and none of the other nurse even discussed it with her.

How old was your daughter when she had the surgery? It's nice to know she's led a normal life since and has had a baby and all.

It's a bit scary though the difference in the two surgeries. I mean I was sore but lifting myself up and a lot of the soreness was from the gas. She was on the pain pump for the whole time she was in the hospital and sent home with a liquid pain Rx. Plus they didn't take out the gallbladder and so she's on some preventative for stones and also on meds for acid and just tons of stuff. It's so much more intense than the little lap band! I guess unless you get a real problem with the lap band but still it seems like I went through nothing during my surgery and post-op.

Anyway has your daughter seemed to keep most of it off? I know she had a baby and that can add weight. Is she still happy that she had the surgery? Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm a worrier about the whole situation. Anyway when you get a chance, thanks, Nancy.

No problem! Lori was 25 when she had the surgery. She is an RN so she knows what can happen if she forgets any of her Vitamins.

She gained 30 lbs during her pregnancy and has lost 20 of it. This last 10, she is going to have to work a little harder to take off. She didn't eat carbs at all the first year. During her pregnancy, she pretty much ate whatever she wanted. She pretty much can't eat fat or sugar or gets sick. (Like tartar sauce makes her sick.) I am sure you have heard of dumping. She can eat one Cookies, but if she eats two, she is sick.

She is thrilled with her surgery. We go to the support groups that our doctor has. That's how I found out about banding, by going to her support groups. People come in that want to have the surgery, and are waiting for insurance. She said if her insurance wouldn't have paid for it, she would have sold her house. The nurse that holds the support groups had the same surgery as her, and she always stresses how very important the Calcium and bariatric Vitamins are.

Like I said, I was very against her having the surgery. It really scarred me. Her friend has had it and was doing fine, and there was no way I could talk her out of it. She is married and on her own, so there was not a thing I could do about it though. Now I can see it was the right thing for her.

She went from 325 to 160 in a year. She had her surgery a year before I did, in Dec. of 05. She's 27 now. She had a great pregnancy and my grandson weighed 7lbs 5 oz.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Wannabe--

I think you may be stuck. It is ok not to loose "fast" but it isn't ok to feel like a failure.

Do you have a support group outside of here? I agree I LOVE LBT, but sometimes we need more. It concerns me you haven't told anyone. You need to go to a support group of people you can talk to in person!

Exercise was key for me, and still is. It always helped me get over the hills and push my body a bit more!

I feel the same way you do I lost the most amt on the liquid diet before surgery. I had it done in july of 2007 and havent even lost 50 lbs almost a year . I have had it filled several times , taken out , refilled and now it is tight I have trouble swollowing but dont want to have any taken out. I only lost 2 lbs in the last 6 weeks. I dont get alot of excersise cause i need a total knee replacement but no dr. will do it till i lose more weight. i am at my wits end

what does every one else eat during the day to lose so much ?

No problem! Lori was 25 when she had the surgery. She is an RN so she knows what can happen if she forgets any of her Vitamins.

She gained 30 lbs during her pregnancy and has lost 20 of it. This last 10, she is going to have to work a little harder to take off. She didn't eat carbs at all the first year. During her pregnancy, she pretty much ate whatever she wanted. She pretty much can't eat fat or sugar or gets sick. (Like tartar sauce makes her sick.) I am sure you have heard of dumping. She can eat one Cookies, but if she eats two, she is sick.

She is thrilled with her surgery. We go to the support groups that our doctor has. That's how I found out about banding, by going to her support groups. People come in that want to have the surgery, and are waiting for insurance. She said if her insurance wouldn't have paid for it, she would have sold her house. The nurse that holds the support groups had the same surgery as her, and she always stresses how very important the Calcium and bariatric Vitamins are.

Like I said, I was very against her having the surgery. It really scarred me. Her friend has had it and was doing fine, and there was no way I could talk her out of it. She is married and on her own, so there was not a thing I could do about it though. Now I can see it was the right thing for her.

She went from 325 to 160 in a year. She had her surgery a year before I did, in Dec. of 05. She's 27 now. She had a great pregnancy and my grandson weighed 7lbs 5 oz.

Wow sounds like your daughter is doing really well. My daughter is about the same weight but is six feet tall so may want to stop around 200 lbs.

We were worried this morning because she had vomited some in the sink after her first drink of Water. It was about 6AM and called the service and they said to wait a while and try some warm liquid and she's been fine. It's so different than our surgery and because it's my daughter naturally I worry more because mine was a breeze! Anyway I understand you not wanting her to do it, I felt the same way but I felt my daughter really wanted to go this route and since insurance was covering it still since she's a student I figured it may be her only chance

That's great that you went to the support groups with her and all. I guess it's just one more bond between mother and daughter. Congrats on the grandbaby too! thanks for sharing Nancy.:(

I feel the same way you do I lost the most amt on the liquid diet before surgery. I had it done in july of 2007 and havent even lost 50 lbs almost a year . I have had it filled several times , taken out , refilled and now it is tight I have trouble swollowing but dont want to have any taken out. I only lost 2 lbs in the last 6 weeks. I dont get alot of excersise cause i need a total knee replacement but no dr. will do it till i lose more weight. i am at my wits end

what does every one else eat during the day to lose so much ?

Fifty pounds lost is still fifty pounds lost! I know you're probably scared to have any fill taken out at this point but if you're having trouble swallowing and hoping that starving yourself is the answer I don't think it's the healthiest way to do it.

I would really discuss this with your doctor and tell them about your frustration and ask them what they think should be your next step. Being over filled can cause weight gain. I'm not an expert on the actual losing part and I'm sure there are more people out there that can help you with that aspect but I do know that the softer foods "sliders" will not help you lose weight and that the Protein and healthy foods (low carb, high Fiber non-processed foods) are what your body needs and if you're too tight to eat them it's not doing you any good.

I think it takes longer for some of us to know where the right spot is and I'm still working on it myself, brandyII.

HI, I, too have been having some trouble, and would love a buddy to keep motivated. I was banded Jan 08 and have lost 40 lb. Have been playing around and gaining and lossing the same 4 lbs for about 6 wks. But am doing better now, Started back to the Gym and now can't wait to get there. Trying to stop the snacking. Going for 4th fill next Wed. Hoping to get some restriction. We can do this! Just gotta keep changeing our lifestyle. It took a lifetime to make, so will take some time to break. Let's stick to our diet plan today and get to the gym! Don't ever give up.

You are right we can do this it takes a lot of determination and willpower but the rewards are great and thats what i keep telling myself when I feel like snacking. I try to think of being able to walk into a clothing store that does not sell plus size clothes and not feeling like a fish out of Water and not feeling ashamed when Im out with my husband and we meet new people.

We have been given a great tool now we just have to make it work.

H

no answers here, but i am sending support and encouragement. the only failure would be to give up. don't give up!!!

i was attracted to this thread by the title and was wondering the same about myself. i know i haven't been banded as long as most of you but wanted to tell you that this has been a very encouraging thread :mellow:

i thought i would have lost more by now but i can see this will take time and the dieting isn't as easy as i thought it would be with the support of the band. but maybe it will get easier for me when i get to a good fill point.

i really needed the encouragement from people that are also working with this. i just wanted to tell you all... Thank you for posting and being so honest on here. it really helps me. i may not always post but i do read alot of threads :cursing:

Keep the faith!

susan

I am having the same problem I had my first band 12/31/06 then in 07 lost 70 pds quickly only to find out the band was too tight and I could never get a fill and was vomiting constantly. Then I had it replaced in Nov. 07 and gained back ten pounds and now I am having trouble. I don't feel motivated I was believe me but it has all gone downhill since Jan.. I feel like a failure. I don't have any motivation to go to the gym even. I wish I had someone who was going through this so we could push each other to stay on track.

If anyone has some suggestions to help please send some.:smile2:

Hi Marie---Have you had any changes since May? I feel like I'm in the same boat as you are...I gained back every pound when they loosened the band because of vomiting, and proceeded to gain even more from frustration. I'm just worried I'll never get it off again...

I have been losing and gaining in the past year, at this time I am stuck at 200lbs I'm ok with it right now because of the holidays. I already have an appointment for a fill in January 2009 so that will make a difference and I will start back to the gym. I just don't go to the gym like I should but things have been busy. I do lose more when I go to the gym during the week even if it is three times a week. I feel like maybe instead of getting the band replaced I should have gotten gastric bypass but then maybe that would have been the easy way out. I want to lose at least 40 lbs more and I would be trilled. I still have problems with not chewing my food enough but I am working on that also. Some days I hate the band but more days I'm happy I did it.:smile2:

I wish you luck and be positive.

Hi Marie---Have you had any changes since May? I feel like I'm in the same boat as you are...I gained back every pound when they loosened the band because of vomiting, and proceeded to gain even more from frustration. I'm just worried I'll never get it off again...

I am so right there with you. I had the band unfilled in Oct and have proceeded to gain 20 lbs back. I am so disgusted with myself, I want to crawl into a hole. I am looking for a challenge group or something on here for support, any ideas?