Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just facial stuff here....

Just wondering if a thread to discuss only facial procedures might be helpful....

I had Restylane and Radiesse dermal filler treatments 10 days ago around my mouth and nasolabial folds. The results are just so awesome and I'm very pleased! I had Botox injections on the frown lines between my brows 4 days ago and those results are also very impressive!! I am so glad I had it done and I'm hooked!

I have a blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) scheduled for July 3rd and now am more anxious than ever to get that done!

At first I considered much more extensive procedures like a brow lift, liposuction in the jowel and chin area, laser resurfacing, etc. But now I'm soooo glad I opted for these less invasive ones because I am thrilled with the results!

Terry: That's really fantastic. I have had Thermage and it really helped with the jowls that I developed after weight loss. I had Juvaderm about 4 weeks ago and it didn't work out very well for me. I had bruising and swelling for almost 3 weeks. My PS wanted to touch it up for me, but wasn't able to because of the swelling and then I had my daughter's wedding and didn't want to be bruised for that, so I have an appointment on Wednesday for touch up. I pretty nervous about it. He said he is going to use a lighter filler. I still have some vertical lines around my mouth that need touch up. I can see a little bit of darkness right under the skin where he did some of the fills. Maybe this just isn't the procedure for me? Or maybe my PS just isn't very good at doing fills. It did a great job on my Tummy Tuck. I'm not sure what to think. I'll know more I guess after Wednesday. I think I might have to go with laser resurfacing to get rid of the pesky wrinkles! I just don't want to give in yet!

Oooh, I'm quite tempted although I absolutely LOATHE that Hollywood frozen face look. But somehow when its your own face that's aging its easy to be a bit hypocritical about it, lol.

I can safely say I will never have surgery on my face, but deadly toxins, for sure! I'm glad you're happy with the results, I'm really thinking what I can do about my hollow, deep set eyes. There's no fat on my face and I look like I've been punched most of the time!

I think the Botox would give you the 'frozen face look' if you had it done in the wrong place (like around your mouth) or too many places around your eyes. But between the brows like I had done is fine for me!

Hollow, deep set eyes? I'm thinking loads of concealer! LOL Besides, you're young yet, Jacqui!

Karey - I got a little bruising in the nasolabial folds...about 1/8" x 3/4" on each side...but they lasted only a week and it was easily covered with makeup. Considering the sheer number of injections I had (probably 20), I thought that was pretty good. I was most impressed with the results on what they call the marionette lines (?) or the frown lines on the ends of your mouth. Dr. said that actually takes very little serum to achieve.

Terry: What kind of make up did you use? My bruises were almost black. I went to Macy's and tried different make up to cover it up. The best thing was from Clinique, but even that didn't totally cover up the evidence! I felt like I had a sign on my forehead: "Does not age gracefully!" LOL. My PS said to go off all Vitamins, fish oil, baby aspirin, etc. for 2 weeks before the procedure and it should help with the bruising. I have done that so we'll see how it works out.

Jacqui: I think they have procedures for hollow eyes. Most people need the fat pad removed under their eyes, as they age to get rid of the puffy eyes, etc. Maybe you need some added?

I use Origins makeup...both foundation and powder, and the powder is a heavier, 'double-duty' powder. And yes, my bruises were almost black as well. Oh, and I used my concealer over the bruises as well...layered like this:

makeup

powder

concealer

powder

Terry and Karey,

I too got some Botox, between my brows, on my forehead and around my crows feet, and can say I am definitely hooked. I just love the results! I only bruised on one side of my eyes by my crows feet and it wasn't black, thank goodness. I definitely will be getting the Botox regularly. I also got Perlane in my nasolabial folds and the results are okay, just not as dramatic as the botox. A week later, I got my brows tattooed on permanently and will be going for a touch-up on 6/9. I felt like the vainest person on the planet, but then decided that I was worth it. I have spent many years not liking what I saw in the mirror and now I like the way I look, especially with non-surgical interventions like Botox and Perlane to help with the downside of aging.

Jacqui,

If they use the Botox sparingly, you don't get that expressionless or blank look. My Nurse likes to use less, so you still are able to look like yourself and have facial expressions.

Alright Angelnurse! How's the exercise going? I love botox and think it helps tremendously without looking like you've really done anything. At least that's my experience with it. I'm wondering if anyone has heard the "new" research that Botox can leech into the brain and cause some serious side affects like memory problems, co-oridnation problems, etc? My husband swears he heard a news report about it. I haven't heard anything, but thought I'd ask the PS.

Terry: What kind of make up did you use? My bruises were almost black. I went to Macy's and tried different make up to cover it up. The best thing was from Clinique, but even that didn't totally cover up the evidence! I felt like I had a sign on my forehead: "Does not age gracefully!" LOL. My PS said to go off all Vitamins, fish oil, baby aspirin, etc. for 2 weeks before the procedure and it should help with the bruising. I have done that so we'll see how it works out.

Jacqui: I think they have procedures for hollow eyes. Most people need the fat pad removed under their eyes, as they age to get rid of the puffy eyes, etc. Maybe you need some added?

Here is my way to help minimize brusing in my patients:

I make sure that all my patients stay away from the following medicines for at least 10 days prior to any procedure - aspirin, motrin (ibuprofen), Vitamin E, and any aspirin or ibuprofen-containing medicines (like alka-seltzer cold and over the counter sinus or allergy medicines). Check the active ingredients because many common medicines contain aspirin or ibuprofen.

Also, stay away from RED WINE - the reason it helps the heart is becasue it is a "blood thinner", which will make you more bruised. I also recommend taking arnica - this is an herbal supplement that may help decrease brusing and swelling. The data about this is 50-50, but many of my patients swear by it. The key is that you should start taking your arnica 3 days BEFORE a procedure and for at least FIVE days after.

Immediately after a procedure like injectables, ICE ICE ICE. This should be doen as much as possible for 48 hours. This will reduce bruising and swelling. At about 1 week, when the bruises become the darkest, use WARM compresses to help break up the bruise. This will make it go away more quickly.

For camoflauge of bruises, my office offers Lycogel makeup (I have no financial interest in this product) and my patients find that it is hevy enough to cover-up dark bruises. It is a silicone base, so it goes on smooth, and is available for all skin tones. You should be able to find this product in your area.

Following these guidelines should help minimize brusing after injectables and get you back in public quicker.

On a side note...... Here is an article that I wrote that you might find interesting - it is about a completely "non-surgical" facelift that was featured in the March issue of Healthy Aging.

Alright Angelnurse! How's the exercise going? I love botox and think it helps tremendously without looking like you've really done anything. At least that's my experience with it. I'm wondering if anyone has heard the "new" research that Botox can leech into the brain and cause some serious side affects like memory problems, co-oridnation problems, etc? My husband swears he heard a news report about it. I haven't heard anything, but thought I'd ask the PS.

Karey,

Haven't heard anything about the Botox getting into the brain, but...

As for the exercise, I'm back on track, had a hard time after the LBL, with the swelling, but today I worked-out, w/o my compression garment for the first time. I kind of felt like my butt was gonna fall off, but I did better than I thought. Just not used to all the numbness in the backside. I've found a new addiction, Turbo Jam, just love it, although I found out how uncoordinated I really am, LOL. How are you doing after your PS? How was the wedding? Hope things are well with you and yours.

Thank you for the tips, Dr. Schulman!! I'll keep them in mind when I go for my touch-ups!

Terri, I had lippo on my chin (double chin) 6 weeks ago and its the best procedure I had done. I am so pleased with the results as well.

Terri, I had lippo on my chin (double chin) 6 weeks ago and its the best procedure I had done. I am so pleased with the results as well.

Oh, I was so tempted to sign up for this, too...but i resisted. I have 2 teenagers and they are suckin' me dry!!!:smile2: