Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band & Meds...?

I went to a shrink yesterday, my other therapist recommened it.

He prescribed Wellbritrim(sp?) and Topamax. Wellbritrin in the morning and Topamax before I go to bed. One is anti-depressant and other I forget whats it's for. But i think it's also a kinda of a mood stabilizer. ????? Paper it came with said it's for seizures?? I'm going to call and find out. I don't really like taking meds.

Has any one taken either of these? They both say "do not crush".

Shrink said I should even lose a few of lbs and my sex drive will start rockin 'n rollin.

Any info much appreciated...

definately contact your dr and pharmasist to see if you can get a smaller pill or a different compound.

I don't have experience with either of those med, but I take meds for my asthma in the eveing. I find that warm things help prevent pills getting stuck. (not a happy time with stuck pills...) Be sure to drink plenty of Water or other liquid after taking the pills to prevent irritating your pouch!

Tina, what is that big O? I've taken both meds, as a matter of fact just started taking Wellbutrin & it's smaller than that. I take the 150's, I know the 300's are bigger. If you're taking the 300's, and most people are started on 150 & then go up if needed, by the way, most docs can prescribe 2 150's a day cause those pills are smaller. You don't have to take it 1st thing in the morning either. It's long-acting & as long as you take it the same time each day, you're fine. So take it when your band loosens up during the day, that's what my doc said is o.k. to do. As for the Topomax, yes it is supposed to help w/depression & overeating too. And since you take it before bed, your band should let it go through.

I didn't know Welbutrin came in 100's...is it not the XR (extended release??) The rocking & rolling is on hold cause my DH has been ill for quite some time. I'm hoping any day now, cause Welbutrin is well-known for NOT causing sexual side-effects. sleeping can be a bit of a problem w/any of these meds. The Topamax should make you tired, especially at first, which is why you take it at night.

SR is sustained release. I just checked the Welbutrin XR web-site, you should check it out. The Welbutrin pills are much smaller, just a thought, if you do have difficulty with the generic. Good luck!

I take both those meds. I found the Wellbutrin 150mg was too big for me to swallow (it was a generic). I was supposed to be taking two a day but I told my doctor that they were getting stuck so he prescribed Wellbutrin XL 300mg (brand name). I'm supposed to take the 300mg pill once a day and it's MUCH smaller than the 150mg pill.

The topamax is a mood stabilizer. I lost my appetite for a few days when I started taking it and I was really sleepy for about two weeks. Now I take the topamax at night and the Wellbutrin XL in the morning and I feel GREAT! Good luck to you.

I done the welbitrum. I went from hero to zero in sex life dept. and yeah I dropped a few lbs. I quit that quick and never took any more like it. Got a divorce instead!!! Worked great. Never felt better after that!

Good idea! This is true!

I had my doc prescribe the 100's so that I could split them in half when I take them. If they are SR or XL you can't split them.

Chris S.

I take wellbutrin and I do not take the extended release ones so that I can crush them. I have a super sensitive stomach (post-band) and can't have pills sitting in it. I don't personally have too many problems with the wellbutrin (except a rise in body temp--I'm often hot-flashy hot) and I think it helps my depression. I also used to take zoloft along with the wellbutrin but -- and I'm the only lapbander I know for whom this has been the case -- my post-surgical stomach could not handle the zoloft. I developed what I can only describe as an allergy to the medication, with much stomach acid and vomiting daily and finally had to wean off it (very slowly--you have to be super careful getting off these drugs for a bunch of reasons but not least because of seizures--this is especially true for wellbutrin which is used for some as an anti-seizure medication). Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the constant irritation from the zoloft is responsible for the problem with ulcerated stomach lining that I now have. So be careful that the wellbutin isn't too hard on your stomach. Try to take it with a little food (cereal or something) already in your stomach. Breaks the bandster rules, drinking Water with food in your stomach, but so be it.

I also took topomax pre-banding for about 6 months. Pay attention to your mental focus once you start. My psychiatrist warned me about a common side effect called 'cognitive blunting' (essentially your IQ plummets about 30 points, you forget words, can't focus, etc.). I dismissed her warning but sure enough after a few months I got really really stupid and had to go off the medication. In my case, I was on it specifically as a weight loss aid (with my shrink's consent; we both knew my obesity was exacerbating my depression). I was trying to lose some weight before my wedding and neither Nutrisystem nor weight watchers was cutting it. I lost no weight, got stupid, got off the drug, and ended up a very fat (though happy) bride.

But the drugs help. They saved my life, many times over, no question. I wouldn’t take them lightly and if you decide to stop taking them, ASK YOUR DOCTOR HOW TO TAPER OFF. He or she will explain how to do it, a little less each day, etc. Good luck.

Sheila