Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone used Great Lake Weight Loss/Detroit?

Do you know how fortunate you are to have a facility like that in your community, or at least within driving distance?!! :smile: In just over a week, I'll be flying into Detroit from S.C., and wil be banded by Dr. Webber on June 11!!

I'd been researching different doctors and facilities for quite a while, both local and out-of-state. Being self-pay, the finances have been a significant factor... a reality that's tough to swallow, so to speak... I was impressed with Great Lakes Weight Loss to begin with; so when they dropped their already pretty reasonable price, I figured that this HAS to be!

So now it's the Protein Shakes, and the worry and doubts of "am I doing the right thing" and a bunch of "what ifs", :( and I'm wondering if (and hoping that) getting through the pre-op diet and anticipation might just be the hardest part?!!?!

All in all, I'm quite excited, and feel very, very fortunate to be able to do this.

Good Luck!! My surgery date is 6/6. I know the feeling. I'm happy that I've finally decided to do the surgery for my health but nervous also that it's going to be total lifestyle change.

Thanks, and good luck to you too! I think we're hooking up with a good facillity. After that, it's up to us..... and attitude is everything. That might be my biggest challenge. I'll miss eating at will... but I'd rather live a decent length of time with my loved ones than to die an early death from morbid obesity. It' a brand new start for us!!!

I didn't go through Dr. Laker, but I did go through Great Lakes (with Dr. Weiner)... everyone is really great (although I'm partial to my doc, he's the best!). Regardless though, the staff is helpful and genuinely caring. The overnight stay at Harper was great too, I was nervous about that, but the care was phenomenal. And yes, as someone mentioned prior, we are very lucky to have this type of facility so close to home for us Metro-Detroiters... most of the people on the floor (Harper has an entire floor (with private rooms) designated for all the WLS patients) were from out of town.

Best of luck!

Danyel723 OR Saran: Have you had any 'problems' with getting return phone calls or return emails from the medical coordinators at Great Lakes? I've not had much luck w/ getting my phone calls return right away or emails. Now I'm wondering how it's going to be like once I do really need to get in touch w/ them regarding post-op questions or pains that I'm experiencing.

Danyel723 OR Saran: Have you had any 'problems' with getting return phone calls or return emails from the medical coordinators at Great Lakes? I've not had much luck w/ getting my phone calls return right away or emails. Now I'm wondering how it's going to be like once I do really need to get in touch w/ them regarding post-op questions or pains that I'm experiencing.
Saran: When were you banded? How's your weight loss coming along?

I just sent you a Private Message to answer these for you! =)

Sorry it took me some time to get back...haven't been on in a couple of days. I didn't have any trouble getting phone calls back they said expect about 48 hours to get a return call. Plus there is a couple different #'s to call. I haven't had to call with any complications though so I don't have any answer for that. But I had no problem getting my 6 week follow up right at 6 weeks. I know some people go to 7 or 8 weeks before they can see their doctor for a fill.

Good luck in making your decision!

danyel

I'm at home and doing fine. I had a wonderful experience from start to finish. No complaints. I was really excited whan I found out that I would get a private room (even with self pay). I was more worried about having a psycho for a roommate then I was about the actual surgery!!! I had my husband talked into staying if the roommate was weird but thankfully he didn't have too. Some of the things I learned: 1> double check if they want to send you home on Lovenox. They prescribed 2 weeks worth and we filled it at harper pharmacy. I then questioned the prescription via e-mail to the staff to find out if this was correct and Dr. Laker called me back, YES the doctor actually phoned, and said it was a mistake and to stop taking the meds. This was after I had a $60 co-pay. oh well I can wirte it off on the taxes. 2: Wait to fill the pain meds also becasue the day I got home I took liquid extra strength tylenol and was fine 3: bring a small throw pillow for on the way home to place between you and the seatbelt for protection (this was my husbands idea) so that if it tightens up while in the car you don't have the seat belt going right into you surgical area.

4: Also get a pill crusher and have as many of your medicines in liquid form. I tried to take my small pills and had some trouble even though they were smaller then a M&M like the doctor suggested. The day after I got home I went out and bought liquid vitamins, zyrtec, and tylenol.

Glad you're doing fine. Same here!!! I am so pleased with my surgery experience. Everyone was soooo nice and supportive. Everyone. It was so worth flying to Detroit, financially and otherwise, and I'm so pleased with Dr. Webber. He asked me on the day before and the day after if I had any questions.... so few doctors ask that, actually invite questions, and they all should. I'd recommend Great Lakes Weight Loss, Dr. Webber and his staff, in a heartbeat.

Anyone banded by Dr Laker of Great Lake Weight Loss in Detroit? What was your experience? Good? Bad?

I was banded on 9/29/08 by the wonderful Dr. Weiner; of GREAT LAKES WEIGHT LOSS. So far, so good. I would say however that their follow up care (to date) is not for someone who is not self motivated. (THANK GOD I AM) I would love for them to add a nutritionist to their staff.

Also, when I arrived on the floor after surgery. The nurse I had didnt seem to know whether or not I was allowed Water or ice. My mouth and throat was burning and dry from surgery. My clear liquid diet arrived with (broth, minute maid lemonade, and jello) she says..."there have that"... I took a gulp of the minute maid and nearly died from it "not going down". FIVE HOURS later, the dietitian shows up. Tells me..."oh no!! hands me a 1oz cup and says sips of Water and suck on ice only for now!!"... ridiculous.!!!

I also was sent home with Lovenox, and just happend upon a post on this board about a woman who wasn't supposed to be sent home with the meds (from great lakes weight loss as well) ...I called to check on my status with them, and I also was told not to continue the injections. Also, after spending $60 for them at the Harper Pharmacy. She received a direct call from the DR. apologizing; I did not.

So... be prepared to do alot of your own research and reading before and after surgery ON YOUR OWN, if you go with Great Lakes Weight Loss. (As you should anyway)

While Dr. Weiner is wonderful, seriously knowledgable, and so comfortable to talk to; some of the staff is seriously lacking. Hopefully in the future they will spend as much time involving themselves with aftercare, as they do marketing their self-pay plan.

With all of that said; I would most certainly chose Dr. Weiner, if I had to do it all over again. He is the greatest!

Edited by ImWithTheBand22
added point

I was banded this week by Dr. Laker of Great Lakes Weight Loss Center. He was extremely knowledgeable, bedside manner was excellent and I would very easily recommend him. While I was in recovery, he was able to ease many of my husbands concerns and this meant a whole lot to me. When I can made it to my room, my husband gave me much information about the surgery that I had never shared with him. Dr. Laker came back to see me before discharging me - answering all of my questions.

Now, to the hospital staff. Since I work at a hospital - I wasn't at all surprised to know that everyone wasn't going to be as knowledgeable as they should or, as nice as they could.:)

I let the nurse know that I could have ice chips and Water (because she didn't think so). She checked my electronic record and yes, I was allowed. So, I got the same thing; Jello, Water, light minute made. Couldn't eat/drink much of it anyway. Keep in mind that this nursing staff works directly for the hospital and are not part of the GLWL Center (I don't think). I have a forwarded an email to the three bariatric coordinators regarding my concerns at the hospital. Which weren't that many - but, if you don't let the GLWL Center know of our concerns... they might think things are just fine there. I was given a straw every time I was given anything - each time I said, "oh, I can't have a straw." So, little stuff can be pointed out.

Actually, a nutritionist from GLWL Center (I have her name upstairs if you need it) stopped by and explained the full diet plan to me in total detail. Her name is actually listed under important numbers under the huge document they email you before surgery.

Initially, I'd planned on doing all of my f/u here at home with Synchrony - however, after meeting and speaking with Dr. Laker, I will fly back in six weeks for my first f/u.

Oh, I didn't have any problems with prescriptions. My health insurance covered the percocet pain pills and I wasn't given anything else.

Edited by NFaith