Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded at 11am this morning. The pain is pretty bad but what I want to know is wat is up with all the nausea. I have had to violent episodes of dry heaving today. I am afraid to take my lilquid pain medication as it was one of the things that caused me to gag earlier.

Do you have any phenegran suppositories? You should keep that on hand for real throwing up. It will calm your stomach down. Have you tried taking the liquid tylenol instead of your prescription pain med? That might not make you so sick. Are you able to keep any liquids down? Perhaps a hot cup of tea with honey and lemon. That will give you some sustenance. Sometimes drinking something warm first, then taking your meds. helps. But if this continues, you need to contact your dr. You don't want to get dehydrated and/or cause your band to slip (from the violent heaves). Just try a little bit of hot tea and see if that will stay with you. Then perhaps the liquid tylenol. You may need to get your dr. to call you in a different pain med. There are several available. Just be sure he/she knows that you need a liquid. Hang in there, keep trying to sip, sip, sip, avoid dehydration, and throwing up. Walk around as much as you possibly can (that helps with the pains and the gas.) Best of luck to you! Congratulations on being banded!

Thanks. I think I will try some chicken broth. The warm thing sounds too good to pass up. My wife is already on her way to an all night pharmacy for the Phenegran/ Thnaks for the quick response.

The nausea is most likely a reaction to anaesthesia; not everyone experiences that. Good luck and I hope the Phenergan helps!!

How are you feeling today, guitarman? Hope the nausea goes away. Sorry 'bout the suppositories but it's your best access port at this point, if ya know what I mean. Take it easy and wer'e thinking of you.

HEY! I don't think you are on the April Bandsters list!! How could I have missed this?! Putting you there now...

It is one of the things that, by consensus, all Bansters should have on hand. I don't have any, but I've got some tablets. (yeah, I know, wrong end :)) But I'm one of those people with a "cast Iron stomach."

Hey Mike, I'm sooo sorry you are feeling so punk, but it does get better. Take your loritab with something nice and warm, it really does help!

Thanks Everyone. I do feel better today. Just goit to get rid of the gas now which is preventing me from breathing very deep. The upside is I don't miss food right now. :-) You guys are all great. Especially my Bandmate buddy, Becky in Texas. She has been a big help and here scheduled surgery date is April 29th. So we'll get through this together and with everyone elses help too.

Walk, Walk, Walk, the more walking you do the better the gas gets! A heating pad will help too! I'm glad to hear you are feeling better! Hang in there! :)

Hey Mike, a heating pad on my upper back and neck helped and I would also take in slow as deep as I could breaths to help open up the lungs after anesthesia. Also, walking it off helps. You'll get your appetite back, don't worry!!

Beachbabe: Phenergan is the name of an anti-nausea meadication that comes in suppository form (as well as oral tabs). If you can't swallow a pill to get the medication in, the rectal suppository is your best bet. It's an important medication to have on hand when your banded, if you ever get stomach sick, you can reach in the fridge and grab one, insert, and the nausea usually subsides pretty quickly. Vomiting and banding don't mix well, so next chance you get, see if your Doc will prescribe a few for you to have handy, just in case.

Mike, think you could have handled your gig Friday night? Glad you got a sub? Just wonderin'.

There was one girl in the hospital with me that had the same nausea and dry heaving. She looked absolutely miserable, but the hospital staff said it's fairly common after surgery, and most likely from the anesthesia. If you are still in the hospital, they may be able to give you something.

P.S. I just remembered something. The girl, Emily, ended up going home a day early. Once the nausea subsided, she felt remarkably better than the rest of us and decided to check out and go home early. I hope you speed along like she did.

No Way in hades could I have handled picking up the guitar much less singing. The sub was definitely the way to go. With a wedding this weekend and two more the following weekend. Thanks.

Hey Mike, a heating pad on my upper back and neck helped and I would also take in slow as deep as I could breaths to help open up the lungs after anesthesia. Also, walking it off helps. You'll get your appetite back, don't worry!!

Beachbabe: Phenergan is the name of an anti-nausea meadication that comes in suppository form (as well as oral tabs). If you can't swallow a pill to get the medication in, the rectal suppository is your best bet. It's an important medication to have on hand when your banded, if you ever get stomach sick, you can reach in the fridge and grab one, insert, and the nausea usually subsides pretty quickly. Vomiting and banding don't mix well, so next chance you get, see if your Doc will prescribe a few for you to have handy, just in case.

Mike, think you could have handled your gig Friday night? Glad you got a sub? Just wonderin'.

Thanks Delarla, Actually this was a day surgery for me. The funny thing was that when I checked into outpatients check in (huh?) that the nurse had a hand written sign for the doctors asking them to move their procedures along this morning as they were at maximum capacity and were out of room. Talk about your cattle car surgery. I thought that was funny but man they weren't kidding about getting me out of there. I spent about an hour on the table and 2 hour in recovery, then slammed into a wheel chair and taken to my truck. Wow, what a day.

P.S. I just remembered something. The girl, Emily, ended up going home a day early. Once the nausea subsided, she felt remarkably better than the rest of us and decided to check out and go home early. I hope you speed along like she did.