Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too much after surgery

I have my 1st fill tomorrow & so far I can eat & drink (at the same time) all I want. I hope this changes dramatically after tomorrow.

Hi,

You will always be able to eat and drink at the same time, but don't only drink 15 minutes before or 30 minutes after you eat, if you do, it will all wash threw your band and it won't feel like you had surgery at all! Try very hard not to drink when eating.:lol:

Hey there Crazy!

I could do the same thing, eat and drink about anything. Had my first fill today and I sure hope it helps. My willpower is shot! I am on liquids for a few days and so far so good. No hunger pains! Take care!

Hey there Crazy!

I could do the same thing, eat and drink about anything. Had my first fill today and I sure hope it helps. My willpower is shot! I am on liquids for a few days and so far so good. No hunger pains! Take care!

Let me no how it's going in a couple of days. How much did they put in your band? Your on the right track.:cursing:

I would get your $17,000 back and buy shares at the burger joint.

Seriously??? This is how you comment on someone who is clearly hurting.

Joking or not, we are all experiencing this "bandster hell". I am 6 and 1/2 weeks post op and I can eat whatever I want - I just chew the hell out of it first. Then I make it a point to not drink for 30 minutes following, but when you're hungry - you're hungry and eating 4 oz. of food on a non restricted stomach is a tease. Maybe you can see if you can get a fill sooner than you're originally scheduled for. Mine is scheduled for the 12th and I'm holding out as long as I can... yes it is a mind over matter also, but what a bitch of a matter!

Good luck and hang in there! All of us will be fit and fabulous in no time!!!

Seriously??? This is how you comment on someone who is clearly hurting.

Joking or not, we are all experiencing this "bandster hell". I am 6 and 1/2 weeks post op and I can eat whatever I want - I just chew the hell out of it first. Then I make it a point to not drink for 30 minutes following, but when you're hungry - you're hungry and eating 4 oz. of food on a non restricted stomach is a tease. Maybe you can see if you can get a fill sooner than you're originally scheduled for. Mine is scheduled for the 12th and I'm holding out as long as I can... yes it is a mind over matter also, but what a bitch of a matter!

Good luck and hang in there! All of us will be fit and fabulous in no time!!!

The 12th will be here before you no it, I am completely empty also, out over one year, yes I want to eat too, and a lot...... Hang in there; try food of more Fiber and substance, what I mean is thick, heavy type food. I do this and it helps me. Have you tried drinking Water 30 minutes before eating? I'm trying to think of what has helped me in the past. Have you tried not chewing the hell out of your food, maybe it is to mushy and not filling you up and goes right threw the band? Once you get your fill the weight will start falling off of you and you won't be so hungry.:angry:

Like it has been said a couple times in this thread, what your all going through is bandster hell... it starts with the preop liquid diet and goes through to your 2nd or 3rd fill sometimes farther. I have had my 2nd fill and can definitely feel a huge difference 1.5 ounces 3 - 4 times a day is satisfying... Whereas two weeks post surgery and on up to my 2nd fill I would sometimes get so hungry that I would eat way too much. I was constantly worrying if I were ruining my band. Luckily for me after speaking with my doctor and checking my band everything is still attached as it was at the time of surgery. Some people aren't so lucky... please be careful with your food choices. IT GETS EASIER, IT WILL BE THE EASIEST 'DIET' YOU HAVE EVER TRIED, IF YOU JUST WORK WITH THE BAND THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO WORK. And maybe you should ask yourself, why you spent so much money on this band to just give up? Thats what I had to do several times... and I am still be inundated with bills.

At times I feel extremely hungry as well, especially if I miss a meal and working from the road. But you have to give this thing a fighting chance. . so instead of burgers and fries. i get the same effect eating a veggie burger and believe it or not. veggie chips are just as satisfying as real potato chips. Pirates Booty is a good brand. I still can eat a lot, but I make better food choices. I still eat a cookie or two on the weekends - and I do not beat myself up about it at all..

instead of going to Wendy's or McDonalds .. go to Subway and get a tuna wrap... good luck to all..

The 12th will be here before you no it, I am completely empty also, out over one year, yes I want to eat too, and a lot...... Hang in there; try food of more Fiber and substance, what I mean is thick, heavy type food. I do this and it helps me. Have you tried drinking Water 30 minutes before eating? I'm trying to think of what has helped me in the past. Have you tried not chewing the hell out of your food, maybe it is to mushy and not filling you up and goes right threw the band? Once you get your fill the weight will start falling off of you and you won't be so hungry.:thumbup:

Thanks Wallygirl... I pretty much do everything I can to keep my hunger at bay and I exercise almost daily. My weight loss is at a stand still or so I think - I try not to step on the scale too often or it will rule my life so I go by my clothes, which seem to be the same more or less and I'm okay with it - from all the posts and threads throughout the site, it seems that once the restriction goes away before the first fill, weight loss kind of stops - but I hope when my fill is done, this will change. Overall I'm very pleased - just don't like the scars on my belly or the fact that my port sticks out a little - more like a bump than a stick ~ lol, but it's the price I was and am willing to take to be better...

We bandsters rule! :thumbup:

First I feel your pain. During my pre-op diet I always felt deprived. I would get excited to go home for lunch only to realize that I was on a diet and couldn't eat much and it was such a let down! Then after surgery I felt as if my best friend had left...what am I going to do with my life? Who am I going to spend all my time with? What if I get bored? I thought. Then I brought a bike, and I must admit, I no longer feel hungry. Instead of thinking about food when I get up. I think OK when can I go ride my bike. I found a really nice park and I do about an hour each day. Now I'm worried but not because I'm on a diet but it looks like it's going to rain :thumbup: and I needs my ride. So my advice for you is to realize the lapband is a tool and not a cure all. I've found my eating habits have changed drastically in the spand of a month. I no longer crave foods I did the first few weeks after surgery. I've gotten to the point where food isn't even big on my mind anymore. When you get hungry, drink a glass of Water and if that doesn't help, take a walk, and if you're still hungry choose something healthy. It's hard. I think the thing I didn't realize is that this experience is really no different from any regular diet. You still have to practice self control. More than anything it's mental..it's 90% mental and when you get your mind right your body will follow.

Now, I have a question for you bandsters. I'm about 2 weeks post-op I've only lost 4 pounds and I'm at a standstill now. I weigh myself everyday, which is obsessive. I excercise like a mad woman and eat less than 900 calories a day...what's the deal? I used to eat 5X that much before. Why am I not loosing faster?

Lanejane,

I to, am 2 weeks post op. I have ben okay since surgery but have not gotten my ass in gear and started to exercise. Thank God food hasn't been an overwhelming desire (only once when I could have tackled my hubby for his garlic bread it smelled so good.) I've been lazy. Two weeks of not working has been heavenly. I know that exercise is another tool and I should get my bike out and ride. So seeing your post thst'd what I'm going to do. I agree with you sometimes your desire for food can change. I was worried about not having soda (pepsi addict here) and I have been okay for the last 2 1/2 weeks without it. I am surprised. See the doc o monday and hoping to move to mushies for added variety. We all have to keep the faith on this long journey to our newselves.

First I feel your pain. During my pre-op diet I always felt deprived. I would get excited to go home for lunch only to realize that I was on a diet and couldn't eat much and it was such a let down! Then after surgery I felt as if my best friend had left...what am I going to do with my life? Who am I going to spend all my time with? What if I get bored? I thought. Then I brought a bike, and I must admit, I no longer feel hungry. Instead of thinking about food when I get up. I think OK when can I go ride my bike. I found a really nice park and I do about an hour each day. Now I'm worried but not because I'm on a diet but it looks like it's going to rain :confused: and I needs my ride. So my advice for you is to realize the lapband is a tool and not a cure all. I've found my eating habits have changed drastically in the spand of a month. I no longer crave foods I did the first few weeks after surgery. I've gotten to the point where food isn't even big on my mind anymore. When you get hungry, drink a glass of Water and if that doesn't help, take a walk, and if you're still hungry choose something healthy. It's hard. I think the thing I didn't realize is that this experience is really no different from any regular diet. You still have to practice self control. More than anything it's mental..it's 90% mental and when you get your mind right your body will follow.

Now, I have a question for you bandsters. I'm about 2 weeks post-op I've only lost 4 pounds and I'm at a standstill now. I weigh myself everyday, which is obsessive. I excercise like a mad woman and eat less than 900 calories a day...what's the deal? I used to eat 5X that much before. Why am I not loosing faster?

Hi-

I was banded on 5/19 went to my first post op appointment on 5/29 and had lost 7 pounds I haven't stood on a scale since out of fear It won't go down and I'll be so dissappointed what I can tell you is 3 weeks out I can eat everything expect burgers! for lunch today I ate two pieces of pizza! It scares me that I can actually eat two pieces rather than just one-

Any how I go back to see my doctor on July 3rd, he expects me to lose only 4 pounds between the 5/29 visit and the 7/3 visit- which isn't a whole lot and I was dissapointed when he told me that- but I will take any weight loss as long as I continue to lose its better than gaining right?

Lanejane, I think our bodies go into freak out mode after surgery and when we put it on a diet. You've lost four pounds in two weeks? That's awesome. We can expect a weight loss of 1-3 pounds per week after being filled. You've lost four pounds before being filled!!

Sometimes we're also not eating enough calories. Our bodies go into starvation mode. Mix up your diet. Mix up your exercising. I do that when I'm at a standstill and it seems to work.