Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too much after surgery

Yes, I hear you. Loudly and clearly. I wish I had the right thing to say to make that darned hunger - real or imagined- go away. I feel it too. But eating too much and too soon can really comprimise your band. I could eat everything and anything put in front of my face. I feel nothing - no pain, no restriction. I'm on track now but it's been hell. Some of my thinking has been: If I could have gone on liquids or any other diet for this long, I wouldn't have needed the band. I couldn't manage to control my portions prior to the band, so how am I expected to do it now without restriction? Magic? Wishful thinking?

Unfortunately, I think it's just pure grit and determination that will get us through. And a little help from supportive people. Yes, it's hell - and we're not good at staying away from food. But give the band and yourself a fighting chance -and pray for restriction. Otherwise, what are we going to do? Give up and go back to our old ways - both defeated and with smaller bank accounts to boot? I too am so worried about not getting restriction after my first fill. If only there was a procedure for the head hunger. I'd pay double for that. I'm with you honey - but we can do if others can. I'm probably way to long winded but writing keeps me from eating! HA HA

My best to all. Keep up the good fight.

I too am trying to find the balance. Today was my first day back to work and I did good . I ate ontime and the right portions and I felt good. Right now im in my room online with some sf cheesecake pudding and hungry. I asked my boyfriend if he wanted some burgerking or pizza but he saw right thru my scam and said no. Im 20 days out and only nine pounds down. Im not complaining , but I want to see the big numbers like everybody else has. Its gonna come , its just urks me , this hunger. The lady on the commerical said her lion hunger turned kitty, Why do i still feel like a lion?:wink2:

I am at the same place. I am about 3 weeks out and have been wondering if my extreme hunger, growling stomach and all, is normal. I really wasn't hungry on the liquid diet for 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after surgery but I am hungrier than I have ever been now. I'm glad to know it's not just me.

I also feel the hunger pains! I am 30 day post op and only lost 11 pounds. I feel like I am sticking to the diet, I an now on mushies and transitioning to regular food. I have been dying for one of those McDonald's Southern chicken sandwiches for weeks. Then I got a free coupon in the mail for a free one. I broke down and got it and nibbled on about 3/4 of it and it was great! The best part was that I stayed full for a long time. The Protein Shakes help most of the time. I was hoping for more loss also, but a couple pounds a week coming off is better them coming on. I get my first fill on June 2nd. I also hope it helps with the hungry pains. Hang it there this is going to work. We just need to get through for a few more weeks. Take care and be well!

I get my first fill on Friday as well and it will be one day short of 1 month post op. I got banded 4/24. I can pretty much eat anything too. I have managed to keep the weight off that I have already lost, but if I weren't having a fill on Friday, I might put some back on. I am fighting the head hunger as well. However, I am just starting to find that I am starting to lose the desire to eat badly. I never thought it would happen and honestly, it comes and goes. But I think I was so afraid I might not be able to eat 'normally' again that I when I found out for the most part I can, I started losing the need to eat crappy. I know it's weird, and hopefully that will continue as I get my fills.

Thank God!!! someone's going through exactly what I am going through! And paid the same!!! I am a food addict just telling me not to eat when I can doesn't work!!! I'm glad I'm not alone. One more person tells me about the joy of "mushies" or Ice pops I'll kill em. I got the band because of the extreme stress in my life. (yes I see as counslor and takes med but that just keeps me from screaming at people) and yes, I know the band is a tool but right now I feel like a tool for paying all that money and being starving and able to eat a ton of food. I was tild it could take me 4 fills to get it right well lets do it every 2 days instead of every two weeks. Anyone else feeling like me???

HI everyone,

I did a lot of reading before I had the surgery, I felt I truly understood what was expect of me and what my new responsibilities to self were but after getting home and feeling that hunger, not head hunger, physical pain hunger willing to eat your own young kind of hunger (lol). I am hungry but I am hungry to this degree because presurgery although overweight I was starving, my body was simply not getting whatever it needed. And now that I have had some Protein and some Water I do have some clarity... my advice is take a multi Vitamin, have a few swallows of protein and then a little later have some water... the whole world seems different when your body is getting what is actually needs and not what it actually craves! Good Luck fellow band wagoners!!

Lana

Edited by Lana24

I was banded 5-12, I'm 3 weeks post-op & am technically in the "mushie" stage. What I found is I am hungry mentally & physically, I can eat anything & everything I want to put in my mouth (that's a bad, bad thing:scared2:) & am struggling to stay the program.

Thenume is totally right! Per my Doc the band has been placed around your stomach but has nothing in it (at least mine doesn't) & as the swelling of your stomach goes down, any restriction you felt/feel after surgery will lessens. The best we can do is continue the band "diet" since without restriction it is a "diet", exercise and hopefully not gain weight before that fill which will give us some much needed restriction.

...one of those McDonald's Southern chicken sandwiches for weeks..... I broke down and got it and nibbled on about 3/4 of it and it was great! The best part was that I stayed full for a long time.

Bobbil - read what Lana24 has to say.

....my body was simply not getting whatever it needed. And now that I have had some Protein and some Water I do have some clarity... my advice is take a multi Vitamin, have a few swallows of Protein and then a little later have some water... the whole world seems different when your body is getting what is actually needs and not what it actually craves!

It's the fat and protein that keep our appetites satisfied longer. Fat and protein are digested more slowly. The band uses the exact same mechanism. That's why that bacon-double-chizbuggah is so satisfying. It's loaded to the sesame seeds with fat! :thumbup:

I know that if I have a bagel for Breakfast, I'll be famished by 10am. If I have scrambled eggs with cheese and whole grain toast, I can go until 2pm sometimes. And that's now, even before being banded. Really!

Be conscious of maintaining an adequate protein intake and low carb intake and you won't feel so hungry all the time. Carbs are a devil! :scared2:

You deserve to succeed! You can do this. You are doing this! You will succeed!

THANK GOD for lapbandtalk.com.

I know I'm not eating what I did before surgery, I'm just so scared that over stepping my bounds, as I've done these past two days eating veggies, a cookie, and even bread, is streching out my pouch. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm getting control over this, I know now...I'm just beating myself up over the fact that I did have this failure today.

Does anyone know about the physical stuff....what happens if you eat too much?

Ugh...thank God there are all of you!

THANK GOD for lapbandtalk.com.

I know I'm not eating what I did before surgery, I'm just so scared that over stepping my bounds, as I've done these past two days eating veggies, a cookie, and even bread, is streching out my pouch. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm getting control over this, I know now...I'm just beating myself up over the fact that I did have this failure today.

Does anyone know about the physical stuff....what happens if you eat too much?

Ugh...thank God there are all of you!

I don't think u did any damage..As long as when u finished eating u felt ok. I believe it's about not being stuffed or over full. Just brush your sholders off and get back in the fight....:)

I don't think u did any damage..As long as when u finished eating u felt ok. I believe it's about not being stuffed or over full. Just brush your sholders off and get back in the fight....:lol:

Boy, Do I know, you get sick, pain and other stuff happens to you. I don't think you can do damage, just start over the next day. Drink plenty of Water at least 64oz a day. Keep it up your doing great.:lol:

I have my 1st fill tomorrow & so far I can eat & drink (at the same time) all I want. I hope this changes dramatically after tomorrow.