Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The untold of lapband

I'm approaching my 1 year bandaversary in a few weeks and there has been one issue over the past year that I can't seem to get a handle on.

This past week I've been miserable and after a few days of weight gain (just 2 pounds in a week)...I finally figured it out.

Correctol took care of it. 1 dose didn't work. I took 1 and a half dosage the following night.

Finally, relief...and those 2 pounds gone.

Constipation has been an untold issue for me since being banded. I remember having this problem when I was on Atkins a few years back.

I've increased Fiber...I've decreased Fiber, MoM doesn't help. Softeners don't help....I require a stimulant to do the job.

I'm really concerned with what my liver and large intestines are going to look like before long.

My doctor has recommended many things and even a script.

But the only thing that I can get to move me is sugar. But I try to avoid sugar as my new way of eating. Yet, it's either a Krispey Kreme or Correctol.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? I need my large intestines to not absorb so much Water. HELP!

If you get this answer to this I would like to know. Banded 7 months and have noticed without help have the same issue. When I gain weight or am stuck at a weight, I will take some form of laxative and the weight goes away. However, I will not take more than 1 a week cause I don't want to get addicted to them. Plus after taking certain brands, they stop working. I am now using the Fleet to do the trick but that even isn't work. Plus it was recalled and don't want any health issues. Looking forward to the answers from your posts. Going to talk to doc at next visit as well. Once a week of a working bowel isn't good - lol. Take care and Happy Bannniversary!!!

Have you tried Miralax? It is a powder that is now over the counter, tasteless and can be added into any drink or food. My daughter takes it every other day and it makes all of the difference in the world for her.

I eat 4 prunes per day. Two in the morning 2 at night. It you but the Sun Sweet pitted prunes they are great. You feel like you are cheating cause they have a sweet taste. The individually wrapped ones are great to slip in your purse. Works wonders. Give it 2-3 days to start off.

OMG, I forgot how much I love prunes! They were given as treats when I was a kid (different generation, huh!?!?!).

I bet I haven't had one in 20 years. >>putting on shoes, going to store<<

I was worried this might happen, but I love fresh fruit, and eat strawberries and black raspberries, fresh ones, I take small bites and chew real well, knock on wood so far I havnt had any issues with getting stuck or throwing up. I put them in my protien smoothy on the rare occasions when I use them. But using the fresh fruit as my snack, or a few after the Protein part of my meal, has kept me pretty regular. I also use mangos, pineapple, and peaches. I don't what I will do if I ever have a fill that wont let black raspberries go down. I even chew the little seeds really well. So, fresh fruit and Water has done it for me, and I have just steadily lost so far. Good luck. Sugrbear

Thanks for all your responses so far.

I'm going to get some prunes. Haven't thought of that. I eat plenty of fruit but not prunes.

If that doesn't work I'm going to have the Miralax...saw commercials for it. But I thought I've tried everything at the store.

Keep the suggestions coming as it's almost a year and I'm tired of not going to the bathroom!

Oh, plus being held hostage at home the day after taking laxatives!

"oh, we missed you at church"....

hmmm.....

I vote to try the miralax! I have heard wonderful things about it, and it is something safe to take everyday. Good luck!

Was banded Jan. 15 this year, always had a problem and being banded didn't change anything. The doctor told me to take laxatives every day. Did not know it would cause problems. I usually take them twice a week. I ate prunes for a week every day, still did not go. Some of us are just bound to hold it in. Looking forward to some other answers. Sue

I have been banded for about 6.5 months... I have that issue as well.... I get stuck, take my laxative, and the weight loss starts up again... I only do it about once a month... but it does the trick...

My mother uses Mirelax. It is the only thing that works for her. I've also heard hot prune juice. I guess I'm lucky. A couple cups of hot tea works wonders. I guess hot coffee would to. Hope you find something. My money is on Mirelax.:(

I vote Metamucil. A teaspoon a day keeps me fine. It's a nightmare if I forget. And do not take it with any medication. It binds to the medicine and washes it right out of your system. I also like it because it gives me the fiber I am supposed to be getting everyday.

I'm approaching my 1 year bandaversary in a few weeks and there has been one issue over the past year that I can't seem to get a handle on.

This past week I've been miserable and after a few days of weight gain (just 2 pounds in a week)...I finally figured it out.

Correctol took care of it. 1 dose didn't work. I took 1 and a half dosage the following night.

Finally, relief...and those 2 pounds gone.

Constipation has been an untold issue for me since being banded. I remember having this problem when I was on Atkins a few years back.

I've increased fiber...I've decreased fiber, MoM doesn't help. Softeners don't help....I require a stimulant to do the job.

I'm really concerned with what my liver and large intestines are going to look like before long.

My doctor has recommended many things and even a script.

But the only thing that I can get to move me is sugar. But I try to avoid sugar as my new way of eating. Yet, it's either a Krispey Kreme or Correctol.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? I need my large intestines to not absorb so much Water. HELP!

Check your Calcium intake. If you are taking a supplement and eating a healthy diet then you could be getting too much Calcium which can back you up. I had this problem. I stopped taking the supplement and added one-two prunes a day and haven't had anymore problems.