Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self pay..price shopping

i was a self-pay patient too. in the cleveland area the cost was between $15,000 and $21,000. then i started looking into Mexico but knew i'd have to find a doctor to do my fills here and i couldn't find one who would fill a patient banded in mexico.

so i started expanding my search and found a WONDERFUL surgeon 4 hours away in cincinnati, ohio. it was luck that he was also the least expensive.

after i did research on his background i knew he was the right surgeon for me. he answers questions under the "complications" section and he always, always, always responds to all his emails personally.

Who is your surgeon ?

Claudine, I went to Dr. Enochs' seminar last night and reallly liked him. I go for my first visit June 12. I think that I have gotten past the worries of self pay and what if another surgery is needed down the road and I am just going to do it. He said that he had only replaced to bands this year and they both were done in Mexico. He said they use discontinued bands in Mexico and both had slipped and erroted (sp?). I am looking forward to my appt.

Hey Marie1234

I loved Dr Enochs and his staff they were all friendly and helpful. I had my first appt with the Dr and I have all my appts scheduled. I am hoping for surgery sometime in July. Keep me posted in your progress with Dr Enochs.

Kerry, I was told by a doctor last night that discontinued bands are used in Mexico. Also, ask if your surgeon stitches the band in place. I know of 2 people that had to have their bands replaced because of errosion and band slippage. Both were done in Mexico and neither band was stitched. You may want to check on this. Just thought I would share this with you.

I am in the Houston area and self-pay. I paid $13,500 with free fills for life and free nutrition and personal training for 1 year.

Kerry, I was told by a doctor last night that discontinued bands are used in Mexico. Also, ask if your surgeon stitches the band in place. I know of 2 people that had to have their bands replaced because of errosion and band slippage. Both were done in Mexico and neither band was stitched. You may want to check on this. Just thought I would share this with you.

If they were discontinued, how would Inamed and J&J be sending them new shipments?

On OH recently there were two doctors that put the band around a wad of fat instead of the patient's stomach on two different patients.

They had surgery in the US.

I really wish people would educate themselves a little more about Mexico. What the media says isn't always true. What your doctors say isn't always true. Remember, they are in business, they have to say something since they charge more than double what the Mexican doctors do.

Keep one more thing in mind. When you have a band the surgical technique used to place your band was created by the Mexican doctors. They perfected the technique and trained the US physicians.

I am getting the Realize band in Missouri and fills for life. Cost: $12,500. This also includes a few visits with physical therapy and dietician. Sounds like this is the least expensive so far. Its day surgery but the cost includes 1 nite if I need it. I am self pay because my employer wont put it in our plan. Good thing its not more, this wiped me out. At least I will be thin as I work till the end of my days!! Won't be able to ever retire but I think its worth the sacrifice.

My doctor is in Denver and his surgery for self pay is $9,000 which includes the first three months of fills. After that, I think fills are $200. He's quick to respond to email and calls me personally at least once a month. I am very satisfied with my surgery.

Beware of Mexico! I don't want to discourage or disappoint but personally just attend the seminar by Dr. Enochs (www.surgerync.com) and you will see why. Oh my, the band that they use is NOT the Lap Band. It has far more complications. Insurance will cover the lap band. Best wishes.

Beware of Mexico! I don't want to discourage or disappoint but personally just attend the seminar by Dr. Enochs (www.surgerync.com) and you will see why. Oh my, the band that they use is NOT the Lap Band. It has far more complications. Insurance will cover the lap band. Best wishes.

There are surgeons in Mexico that do use the Lap-Band.

What in the world are you talking about?

US surgeons are losing a LOT of business to Mexico and they are telling people the most bizarre of things. And some people are falling for it.

Who do you think trained the US surgeons in banding?????? Yeah, that would be the Mexican surgeons. Are you under the impression that they trained US surgeons to use rubber bands?

Who do you think perfected the band and the surgical technique that will be used on you? Uh huh... that would be the Mexican surgeons.

Please, don't depend on your doctor who is a businessman fighting Mexican doctors taking a portion of his business away for information on business issues.

I'm getting banded in Charlotte. Don't quote me on this but I believe that the doctor I am seeing charges $12500. Dr. Vollenger @ Southeast Bariatrics