Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about liquid diet

ok, simple question, do you lose weight on the liquid diet they put you on for the 2 weeks? I have to take carnation instant Breakfast averaging 800-1000 calories per day. Since there are no solids, do you lose weight? I know the purpose for this diet, its to shrink the liver. Thanks everyone. Will be starting liquids on the 26th of this month.

Since the caloric intake will be lower than what most usually eat, most do lose weight. I've lost 20 pounds since I started the Slim-Fast pre-surgery diet recommended by my surgeon. I started about a three weeks, but then slacked off for a week, and am now going full force again on the Slim-Fast plan.

I have seen people post they lose quite a bit of weight during that phase. I kinda wish I had an all liquid diet for pre-op to jump start my weight loss, but my surgeon only requires high Protein, low carb. I might take it a little more liquid than that though.

Good luck!

I have seen people post they lose quite a bit of weight during that phase. I kinda wish I had an all liquid diet for pre-op to jump start my weight loss, but my surgeon only requires high Protein, low carb. I might take it a little more liquid than that though.

Good luck!

Personally I'm glad my doc put me on the south beach diet before banding. It taught me better eating habits and I still lost a good amount of weight pre-op... it got me off the bread/sweets addictions. And, I didn't have any major weight gain when I started eating solids again after banding. I think I gained 1-2 pounds, whereas many people who do liquids pre-op will gain a good amount of weight back when they start to eat regular foods again.. and didn't learn how to eat properly before being banded... that's just my opinion though. (And my doctor's. LOL)

My Pre-Opt 14 day diet (given to me by Dr. Teel) is the following:

3 Carnation Instant Breakfast Drink No Sugar 8 oz skim or 1% milk

2 Healthy Choice (or the like of - Smart Ones etc.) 220 to 300 Calories

2 cups of low Calorie Veggies No Sauce or cheese or anything just Veggies

64 oz a day of Water or zero cal drink

It all adds up to about 1000 Calories a day with any zero Calorie drinks you want

I still get hungry but I have tried to spread it out over the day saving what I can for the evening because that is the hardest for me.

On day 3 hasn't been to bad and I've lost 2 pounds

Guest BiCoastal

Hi Leslie!

I've been on my pre op liquid diet since Friday - this is the beginning of day 3. I'm only allowed to have 4-5 (depending on brand) nutritional drinks like slim fast, ensure and the like and 1/2 cup of veggies at night. It has been a rough time, mostly at night which is something I had not expected. Anyway as far as your question is concerned... I've lost 4.5 lbs already. I don't know if its Water or what but to see the scale move in that direction so soon made me very happy this morning and gave me some motivation to keep going. 3 days down 11 to go.

*New Ensure flavor - butter pecan is the best! :thumbdown:

I don't start my pre-op diet until Wednesday,but my friend lost 10lbs on her pre-op diet. I'm only required to do a 7 day diet thank goodness!! I'm stocking up on the sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles. I had to go to 3 stores to find the Carnation no-sugar added breakfast drink in chocolate. I just keep telling myself this is all going to be worth it!!:leaving: