Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st day on Pre-Op & I already cheated.

This is my first day on my 2 week liquid only pre-op and I have already cheated. I went out to eat and had a veggie plate. I can't imagine that hurting me, but they told me over and over again, "liquids only". I was just sooooo hungry. This is going to be a very long two weeks. I know that it is supposed to get better in a few days.... but I am hungry NOW. I want food! You should all be very glad that you don't live with me. I have been very grouchy today. I plan on being even grouchier tomorrow. Friday is my birthday. I will be a bear by then. Oh, well. I was the one who made me this size in the first place. I will just try to keep myself busy. I would love to fly to Vegas and just sit in front of the slot machines for two weeks. Later.

You will get through the pre-op at least that is what I keep telling myself...I start my pre-op on May 29th and am sure it will be the hardest part for me...My doctor is not making me do totally liquid I can eat non starchy veggies and Optifast...I want this so bad I will do it and I know you can too...hang in there...

I think the problem with eating solid foods too soon has to do with the movement the stomach makes to digest food (churning). It could rip out the stitches. I think the idea is to let the stitches heal before putting any force on them. I think liquids would pass through with out the digesting movement.

I think the problem with eating solid foods too soon has to do with the movement the stomach makes to digest food (churning). It could rip out the stitches. I think the idea is to let the stitches heal before putting any force on them. I think liquids would pass through with out the digesting movement.

You will be fine. The first day is always the hardest. On my first day of pre-op diet I ate two plates of sushi. I don't even think I was hungery, just the thought of not being able to eat it anymore made me CRAZY! I had so much guilt that I stuck to the diet completly from that day forward. I got my band on 5/9 and have lost 17 pounds. So I assure you, everything will work out. Stay strong!!!

You will be fine. The first day is always the hardest. On my first day of pre-op diet I ate two plates of sushi. I don't even think I was hungery, just the thought of not being able to eat it anymore made me CRAZY! I had so much guilt that I stuck to the diet completly from that day forward. I got my band on 5/9 and have lost 17 pounds. So I assure you, everything will work out. Stay strong!!!

Oops, my mistake. I mis-read again. I thought you wrote POST-Op. :biggrin:

I was totally freaking out over this same thing and posted a similar question elsewhere. I am now a week out of surgery and everyhting went fine. My diet was a bit different though. I had Protein Shakes and 2 Protein Bars a day, then like broth, Jello, popsicles, etc. But 2 other people in my office had the same surgery as me with the same docs and their diets were the same except the doc told them they could have non-starchy veggies like carrots bellpeppers, lettuce and onion sometimes too. I did that sometimes and also cheated pretty bad maybe 3 times(cinco de mayo taco, a cheeseburger, and a few bites of mcdonalds ) during the diet and I was still fine. I still lost 15 lbs on the pre-op diet. So I wouldn't worry too much. Not that I am saying you should cheat all the time but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Today was day one of my pre-op diet too... I was good all day, eating sugar free Jello and popsicles, I had a Protein Shake for lunch, and crystal light throughout the day. BUT I was painting my room by myself all day and got totally wiped out! By dinner time I had a massive headache and needed food!!!!!!!!! I made a little egg substitute and that held me over. NOW I should go to bed but I am starving!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh the temptation is killing me and this is just day one!!!!!! So don't worry you're not alone!

Yea!!!:confused_smile: I actually made it through day 1 of my pre-op diet without cheating!!! This is a miracle!! I work at Church on Wed. nights so usually I stop and get the kids and myself something to eat when I get of from my Full-time job. I thought about just getting them something to hold them over till we got home. My husband boycotted that idea and said just stop and get them something from Mc Donalds. I Love Mc Donalds, well I was a good girl I had 2 side salads (i'm allowed 2 servings of raw vegi's) with no dressing. It was not as hard as I thought it would be to watch them eat those yumming fries. I hope the next 6 days are easy:thumbup:

That is interesting your doctor allows you to eat non starchy veggies..I cheated the 3rd day on my liquid diet and I just ate a whole can of refried Beans (not in one setting) this is day 7 of my liquid diet....I was feeling bad bud I have lost 14 lbs in 7 days......and my stomach is doing okay no reflux...I was searching the web looking for a doctor who does not require a whole two week liquid diet and whala....you posted ....I know I must still follow my doctors reccomendations it is jus amazaing how much food consumes my day

Pick yourself up and dust yourself off... and get right back it....I started my pre op way before they told me too... So then when I went there and they said high Protein low carb now so I had no problem switching... I only had to do 4 days of just liquids right before surgery....Make sure you have a shake plan with lots of variety or it can get old quick...

I can't wait for this pre-op diet to be over!!!! This has to be the hardest part, because we are still our normal, hungry selves!!!!! Once I have my band I'm hoping it controls these hunger pangs a little bit! I was good for all my diet except when I went out for dinner with my whole family while I was on vacation, I got the kids Pasta, I couldn't not get something to eat and was DYING for somthing real. That was a few days ago and I've been trying to be SUPER good since then. Only today, then tomorrow left!!!!!!!! I can't believe my surgery is on Thursday!! Woohoo!!!!

Oh, I feel for you. Torture is the only way to describe it. My DH started a few days ago before collapsing with violent vomiting from the headaches. Like me, he didnt technically have to do it, due to being a BMI of 35 and like me, he's scrapped it now, lol.

Take heart though, the risk of open surgery is extremely low, my doc said 1% or less so if you're not perfect in all likelihood you havent really ruined anything.

I start my pre op diet tomorrow...Optifast and non starchy veggies...It is going to be hard...I have convinced my husband that he is going to follow my diet when he is at home...when he is at work he can eat what he wants but at home he is going to each veggies and protien like me...bless his heart...I am so determined to make this work I know I can do it...I will be a little cranky (okay so maybe a lot cranky) but it will be worth it...

I can't wait for this pre-op diet to be over!!!! This has to be the hardest part, because we are still our normal, hungry selves!!!!! Once I have my band I'm hoping it controls these hunger pangs a little bit! I was good for all my diet except when I went out for dinner with my whole family while I was on vacation, I got the kids Pasta, I couldn't not get something to eat and was DYING for somthing real. That was a few days ago and I've been trying to be SUPER good since then. Only today, then tomorrow left!!!!!!!! I can't believe my surgery is on Thursday!! Woohoo!!!!

Allison,

Best wishes for your surgery tomorrow.

Dori

Banded 5/7/08