Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help, Im struggling here

Friends,

I was banded on 3/18/08 and have lost 26 pounds. My problem is that I have not lost any wieght in the last three weeks. I am watching what I eat and getting in all my Protein. I also go to the gym three days a week for an hour minimum each time. I think I have hit a plateau and I dont know what to do. Struggling to stay motivated....Help.

I bounced around the same 3 or 4 lbs for about a month. I lost continuously the 3-4 weeks but didn't lose much of anything during most of the second month. I weigh every day even though it drives me crazy and I'm starting to notice about .3 - .5 gone almost every day for the last week. I really hope to keep this going! Hang in there, you'll start losing again. You really need to track your calories if your not. I'm using thedailyplate.com and it really helps me keep on track better than before. Good

Because you are exercising you are probably gain muscle and losing fat even though the scale isn't moving. Also, try a cheat day everyonce in a while. I usually try once a week to once every two weeks. Don't go nuts but have a little more. It really gets your metabolism going again. I usually lose at least 2 lbs after a cheat day.

Hope this helps.

I was banded on March 3 and have hit a couple of plateaus but it does come off eventually. You should log your calories. I log everything I eat so I can see really how much I'm eating.

Hang in there - it will come off:smile2:

I got banded March 27 and I lost 20 than I fluxuate 2 to 3 lbs. I am suppose to get my first fill on Monday, but the port area is still sore - is oneone else feeling soreness still or is it just me. Hartsdream@aol.com:confused2:

Because you are exercising you are probably gain muscle and losing fat even though the scale isn't moving. Also, try a cheat day everyonce in a while. I usually try once a week to once every two weeks. Don't go nuts but have a little more. It really gets your metabolism going again. I usually lose at least 2 lbs after a cheat day.

Hope this helps.

This is key.....U have to do this in order to trick your metabolisim into burning more.... :tt1::thumbup::Dancing_wub::thumbup::Dancing_wub:

I was also banded 3/18. I am also struggling mostly with Portion Control. I don't eat more than 1/2 a cup, but my Dr. strongly suggests only 1 oz at each meal (3 meals a day and 3 Protein shakes) I have 1 shake a day (because I can barely even get that down, can't stand the taste - have tried many different flavors and brands) I will then have 1 type of fruit a day whether it be an apple sauce cup or an orange, 1 - 2 servings of Protein (usually tuna or lean meat) and some vegetables. My Dr. also suggests not drinking with a meal or for 90 minutes after a meal (I know its so the 1 oz will stay in the pouch longer and keep you full longer), but I just haven't been able to master that, I try! I don't even bring a glass of liquid to the table with me when I sit down for a meal. But I will eat that one bite too much and I am so uncomfortable I have to wash it down. Its been easier since my first fill of 4 cc's two weeks ago, but I do feel that it seems to be "wearing off" I have another fill scheduled for June 2. Can't wait. :tt1: RIght after the fill I lost 6 lbs, but now I have gained back 4. I work out every single day anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours changing the type of workout daily.

I sort of feel like I am disappointing my surgeon when I come in and have only lost 1 or 2 lbs in between appointments, even if muscle weighs more. Its seems like many other people with much lower BMI's are losing quicker than I am.

I love the band and would not change a thing about it. but sometimes I wish I would have just found that one diet that would have worked that was mindlessly easy before adding this tool surgically. I feel like I am always thinking about food like it is almost a hobby even if I don't plan to eat it.

Well good luck to everyone that has had the band placed or anyone who is seeking information pre-band.

This is key.....U have to do this in order to trick your metabolisim into burning more.... :tt1::thumbup::Dancing_wub::thumbup::Dancing_wub:

The only problem I would find with that is if I have one junk food item, then I will want another and another until it spirals out of control and becomes a free for all junk food binge for a few days until I talk some sense into myself. I am one of those people that are better off continuing to eat reasonably, even if it causes stalls in weight loss. I am sure it will work for others, it makes sense. Just not for me.

Thanks!

The only problem I would find with that is if I have one junk food item, then I will want another and another until it spirals out of control and becomes a free for all junk food binge for a few days until I talk some sense into myself. I am one of those people that are better off continuing to eat reasonably, even if it causes stalls in weight loss. I am sure it will work for others, it makes sense. Just not for me.

Thanks!

Don't pick a junk food item. Pick something that will not cause cravings...nuts, higher calorie cheese, butter to a meal. I didn't do a cheat day, but these are the things that I had to add to my life once I hit maintenance. You are totally right that if you add a handful of M&M's you will start binging. Most people will even if they won't admit it here. But substitute higher calorie ingredients into your meals to raise the calories one day.

IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU TRACK YOUR CALORIES! And yes that is meant to be yelled. According to my doctor, the band will only help you lose 25-30 pounds (assuming you start with a BMI over 40) if you change nothing but the portion sizes that the band will force you to eat. However, if you want to lose more...YOU HAVE TO EAT THE RIGHT FOODS. There are a bunch of different ways to eat most of the same foods that you love by substituting healthier alternatives. This is how I lost 95 pounds in 9 months. I no longer eat ground beef...instead I make my own ground chicken using a meat grinder. In fact I just bought 15 pounds of chicken tonight so that I could grind it and use it for the next couple of months. Substitute Beans for Pasta and rice. Eliminate oil...believe me you won't taste the difference. Even at maintenance I still use low fat cheese or FF cheese, because I can't taste the difference. THe next time you eat a meal, I want you to close your eyes and think about what you can taste. If you really can't taste it...eliminate it. I learned this from subway. I realized that the only thing I could taste on the sandwich was the veggies and the bread. So that is all I ever got (pre-band of course). If you need some help on reinventing your recipes, send me the recipe via PM and I will do my best to help you out.

As for getting in Protein...I feel it is essential to get off the Protein drinks as soon as you are able to eat solid foods. Those things are filled with sugar, trigger cravings, and do not keep you full. If you need to supplement, try a Protein Bar. It helps with the sweet cravings plus I have found stays with you for longer. Making sure to get in LEAN Proteins (eggs, Beans, chicken, tuna) I have RARELY been under 100 grams of Protein.

I hope some of this info helped. Good luck and don't give up...just keep trying new things.

I would not be terrible concerned until you really get some fills done. I had my band on 2/4/2008 and first fill at 5 weeks. My adjustments are every two weeks and adding slowly each time. I just had my 5th fill and am now understanding things that I read in the forum. Does everyone get adjusted that way?

I took off a lot of weight even before my first fill and it has been pretty good since then (one week of +3) but am down a total of 45 pounds. I felt I had arrived when I went out to dinner, could only eat part of the chicken parmagian and darried the rest home in a box!

My advice is don't fight it and hang in there. You will get to the point you want, just let it happen.

Edited by sam020408
clarity

Thanks!

Oh NO NO NO... I didn't mean in junk food... babyyyy I can't do the junk food either... I will open a whole other door... and I wont stop... I'm speaking of like something that you would not normally have like a piece of chicken or something or a burger something like that like if u were to go to a resturant having the cesar dressing on your salad or adding some butter to your food when u prepare it or something... but not the chips, snack cakes and stuff like that... because for me it is too hard to break away from that...

Edited by mstrina27

Well, I'd say your doing just fine. I have lost that much and it's been 8 months now. I can't believe a doc would suggest to only eat 1 oz at a time. My baby even eats more than that. It just doens't seem like enough. My suggestion is to completely mix up your workout routine. Try something totally different.

I would just like to add that I track all the food/calories/protein I eat everyday. I stay under 900 calories on most days. I do go over once in awhile.

I can eat about a cup to a cup and a half at each meal. I do get full much quicker then before but I think I could use a little more restriction. I am scheduled for a fill on Wednesday this week.