Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depressed and a bit confused. Any input?

I am 12 days post op. Prior to being banded, I lost almost 25lbs on the 3-1 mostly liquid diet. In the days right after surgery, I lost an additional 11lbs.

I felt well enough as of last Wednesday to start doing some light excercise and have made it to the gym everyday since. During that time, I briskly walk one mile and bike one mile. I do this at a good pace and according to my stats on the machines, I am burning about 200 calories per visit and keeping my heart rate in the 120s.

I am on soft foods and have occassionally hungry bouts but HAVE NOT CHEATED. Not even once. I am getting in all of my Water and am consuming about 45 grams of Protein a day.

Here's the source of my depression and confusion. I haven't lost a single pound in three days and only two pounds in the few days before that. What is happening? What am I doing wrong???? I am concerned that since I am doing so well with my food and excercise in addition to not cheating, what could I be doing wrong and is my body just going to be resistant to losing more?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks. :confused2:

My guess would be that you are doing too much exercise too soon, and replacing fat with muscle, which weighs more.

Only a guess, though.

I am 12 days post op. Prior to being banded, I lost almost 25lbs on the 3-1 mostly liquid diet. In the days right after surgery, I lost an additional 11lbs.

I felt well enough as of last Wednesday to start doing some light excercise and have made it to the gym everyday since. During that time, I briskly walk one mile and bike one mile. I do this at a good pace and according to my stats on the machines, I am burning about 200 calories per visit and keeping my heart rate in the 120s.

I am on soft foods and have occassionally hungry bouts but HAVE NOT CHEATED. Not even once. I am getting in all of my Water and am consuming about 45 grams of Protein a day.

Here's the source of my depression and confusion. I haven't lost a single pound in three days and only two pounds in the few days before that. What is happening? What am I doing wrong???? I am concerned that since I am doing so well with my food and excercise in addition to not cheating, what could I be doing wrong and is my body just going to be resistant to losing more?

Willowcrown,

It sounds like you're doing everything right except looking at the scale every single day. I know with my body I will not lose anything for days or even a week then all of a sudden, bam! I'm down 4 lbs. Sometimes it's your monthly cycle, or you've been eating salty foods retaing Water (especailly if you're eating lots of cream soups). Also, make sure you're not taking in too much liquids. Even though you're on soft foods, you can still be taking in too many calories and fat. Make sure you start switching to lower fat foods now. Are you keeping a written diary of what you're eating?

Try weighing yourself weekly instead of daily though. It's too much pressure to put on yourself to always be losing when you weigh in if it's daily. Also remember that your goal should be to lose weight healthy, which is over time. You're in this for the long run so there's no need to lose the whole thing overnight. It will come off if you keep up with all the guidelines.

Good luck.

Oh Jack, I was banded 4/2 and since starting mushies I have not lost a pound either. I know it does not help to hear but maybe from someone who is in the same boat it will. Any weight loss during this time period is a bonus, it is the fills that aid the loss.

Up until yesterday I was terrified of a fill because you hear so much misery about overfills and adjusting your eating habits again however now I have reached what they call bandster hell where my swelling has wore off and I can really eat anything I want and I can not wait for a fill. Just recover as long as you are maintaining what you have lost you are fine. Get better, get a fill and I am sure we will be on our way....

45 grams of Protein doesn't sound enough (depening on what you weigh). Here is a calculator that can help you understand how much Protein you need.

Also, after weight loss the body tends to shift things around inside. I just convince myself this is my body losing the fat cells permanently. Remember, its normal to slow to a weight loss of between 1 and 3 pounds per week. You probably won't see movement on the scale for days at a time - that is normal. You have lost 36 pounds - you are doing great.

Edited by Luscious

Wait a minute! You've lost 23 pounds and haven't even had an adjustment and you're wondering why you aren't losing more weight?

WHAT! You are the luckiest bandster I know. You shouldn't have lost your first ounce until after you reach restriction....any weightloss is a bonus. So consider yourself bonused!

Hi Willowcrown:

It is possible that your body is trying to hang on to your

weight. Sometimes the body goes into safe mode so that

it can survive the changes in the food we eat. Meaning

it doesn't want you to lose weight!

Don't worry! Continue doing what you are doing, as a

matter of fact, congratulations! You are really determined

so hang in there!

Keep a positive attitude! Tell yourself in the mirror,

you are worth it!!! Not going to stop now!!!

Maybe you need to add Fiber to your diet.

Sometimes that could be the problem.

Get you some benefiber.

Wish you well!

Judie

Banded Feb 26, 2008

The weight you have lost so recently is a mixture of fat and Fluid. You can't depend on daily weight loss, and you will most likely have some fluctuation. Watch for a downward trend over a period of weeks, not days. We get so impatient with our scales. It's a learning process about how our body loses, and it is often a matter of steps and plateaus, rather than a steady daily (or later on, even weekly) slide. Don't get discouraged by expecting too much too soon.

And by the way, your weight loss so far is wonderful! At this point in my journey, I go several weeks without any loss, then lose several pounds all at once.

I am not sure if any one mentioned it to you, but my surgeon and his nurse both told us that going back on solids (soft foods) not to be surprised if you stop losing or even gain a few as you have been on liquids for so long. by the way you are doing great keep following the rules your surgeon set up and you will do great.

Congrats on your weight loss thus far....lol r u kidding.. u are doing excellent... and you are not working out too much too soon.. Your body will soon catch up.. keep doing what you are doing.. make sure on at least 1 day out of the week consume about 200 more calories so that will trick your body into burning more... and u will see the loss again but dont slack on the workouts.. you are doing fantastic....:)

you are doing great. remember muscle weights more than fat, and your muscles retain Water after working out. I would weigh 1 time per week (I'm one to talk I weighed 2 days before thurs weigh in), some times the scale will not move for 1-2 weeks and then it moves a few pounds. good luck

I had a bit of that too when we started walking right after the surgery. It seemed like a month I wasn't loosing but of course it was only 1 1/2 weeks. My husband and I walk 30 min 6 days a week and now we're at 2 month point we've changed it to 2 times a week with the exercise room and one day swimming pool with the kids - who knee just walking in the pool for 1 hr would be so hard. Don't be so hard on yourself, I was and then I dropped like 3 lbs in a day and after that I was slowly on my way down. Remember lapbanders don't lose weight as quickly as gastric bypass people. I had my surgery 2/28 and have lost about 41 lbs and my husband had his 3/6 and has lost about 55 lbs - both are above average loses. We just got our first fill done. I've never used the Protein calculator but we were told you needed 50-60 grams of protein for a woman 5'9" and shorter and 60-70 grams for taller women and for men per day. Good luck on your weight journey.