Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got banded on the 29th of April, and I can't STAND this liquid doets anymore. I was supposed to be on clears until May 4th, but I have had some liquid yogurt, and a few crackers soaked in my broth, and some Tomato Soup... I'm worried that I can't keep this up! I don't think it would be so hard but the past 2 months of being on a low cal diet, followed by another week of shakes only, and I'm at my limit!

I don't think that I've slipped my band or anything, but what are the symptoms?

Heavyjay, I feel the same way. I was banded on the 28th. I called my dr's office today to see if I can begin a little soft foods and they said "no". I have to be on full liquids (shakes) for 2 weeks. I am so sick of shakes. I want anything that's not sweet like mashed potatoes, refried Beans, Soup, etc. I see that there's a lot of people who go to soft foods after one week but I'll try to follow the dr's orders. He said Mother's day, I could start having really soft foods. I don't know if I could wait that long.

From what I've picked up from reading other threads and posts from long time banders is that the reason they have you on the liquid diet is so that your stomach can heal properly and the band can get seated in the right place around your stomach while healing. If you're eating things that are not liquid, your stomach is having to work harder to digest it and is contracting and everything while it is, so it can disrupt the healing. Follow your dr's orders. They give them to you for a reason, not just to torture you. I was on a liquid diet for almost 2 months pre-op and post-op. It sucked something horrible, but that's what the dr told me to do. Just try to find other Soups, liquids that you can eat if you aren't limited to just shakes.< /p>

Hi,

I just read your post. There is a brand of Protein Drink I think Unjury..

they have chicken broth flavored Protein dring. Very good. Couldn't you add unflavored, which they have too, to chicken broth? I have surgery on this Tuesday. Thanks for this post, I'll be prepared.

As hard as it is, you need to stick to what they say, it does pay off. We have all been there and it is just so frustrating. But when you think of the investment you have made financially ... as well as the commitment to you long term health and well being ... another week or so will fly by ... and it will be in the past.

i totally remember those days, just craving something to chew or something that tastes, looks or smells different to Optifast.

Now ... i love my liquid meals. i have had a few bad days recently and i have put myself back on liquids for a bit ... it is like a relief. i think less and less about food as a pleasure .. but rather a necessity.

Edited by ::tracy::
typo

I've also thought of cheating by eating something with flavor. I have to be on Clear Liquids till May 7th and I had such a hard time tonight! Instead of cheating, I got online and occupied my time and now the hunger has passed. It will be worth it. Its only been a little over a week for me and I've already lost 18 pounds!

My Dr. said liquids only too. I found a way to satisfy the salty, mashed potatoes urge.

Cream of chicken, cream of brocoli, Blend it in the blender, to remove any chunks, and heat it up. It is a good alternative to the sweet shakes!

hey there, i had my banding on the 28th of April . day one and two i did not mind. Like you on the 3rd day i started getting creative. i added a few spinkles of mashed potato mix to my chicken broth . it was sloppy but at least it has some flavor and consistency. i also spoke with my nutritionist and she said that i could start lite yogurt today. never has anything tasted so damn good.

oh by the way... Edy's no sugar fruit bars/ ice pops are a Blessing. to take your mind off of food , take a walk around the mall and plan all your shopping for smaller clothes... i was also wondering, does this liquid diet also cause more gas and bloating.. ??

Liquids only don't have to be sweet. You can have all sorts of broth and cream Soups if you are past clear liquids. I had a lot of pumpkin and butternut squash Soup and some really good Tomato Soup (not campbells). It is a very short period of time that will improve the rest of your life. Hang in there.

hi everyone, I was banded on the 29th, and today is the first day I'm reallllly hungry. My doc says no creamy Soups either, just protien drinks and broth, Jello, etc. I've been dreaming of guacamole, can;t wait for my "mushies" stage. I did, however, buy a small frozen yogurt today, I thought it would satisfy some of my cravings. it was good, but I was nauseated for about an hour.

One thing I did that was great: Carn Inst Breakfast mixed with iced coffee and skim milk, yummy!

hang in there Jayme ... the end of liquids is in sight.

It is so frustrating i know. Just remember, this time is about healing and resting your tummy after the trauma it has been through. Stick with the Protein shakes ... they are packed with nutrition and that is what is required when you are healing.

I love my liquid meals now ... haha ... it is like an about face turn after 6 weeks of Protein Shakes and Soups ... i thought i would never touch them again.

i have been super lucky in that i haven't really felt hungry at all since banding (20 weeks ago) ... i get what i could describe as a psychological hunger where i think i need to eat, but that can be eliminated by other activities ... exercise, TV, reading this website.

Wait until you get to the hair loss stage ... haha ... then you have something to worry about!! that has caused me more worry than anything else of late!

I understand there are moments when liquid phase is very tough. However, a few weeks of toughing it out will be well worth the long term benefit. I'm now about to be allowed back on "normal" food. I barely remember the liquid phase now - a distant memory. In retrospect, I'm glad I managed to stick with it.

Edited by Luscious

There's no reason why you should have to stick to those awful shakes during your full liquids post-op phase. There are all sorts of yummy Soup recipes in here, click here for the recipe forums, and dozens of ways to jazz up the flavour of the shakes. If you're into cooking, you can have a ball creating different Soups every day, each with a new taste sensation. Even if you're not into cooking, there are dozens of yummy fat free soups on the shelves nowadays. You just need to be careful to blend any chunky style soups, until you've moved onto mushies.Also, try to avoid homemade soups that use a lot of cream (a little is fine, especially if you use a low fat cream) and canned soups with high sodium contents.

I went for a sweetish shake for breakfast (e.g. banana smoothie with Protein powder) and savoury soups for lunch and dinner, and made sure I had a lot of variety. It was still hard and no denying you are looking forward to mushies and craving solid foods by the end of it, but it was a darned sight easier than living on shakes, shakes, shakes...

Edited by Fanny Adams