Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2008 Bandsters

How is everyone doing?

What exercising has helped you the most?

What foods? How many times a week do you gag or throw up?

For me I am okay my 2nd fill just last week I was feeling kinda tight... but made it thru and I am doing okay now.

Exercising every morining for an hour... weights and treadmill. A lot of running up the bleachers!!!

For Breakfast I normally do Slim Fast Protein Shake. lunch and dinner it varies.... I travel all over for my job so not alot of sit at home meals. I try being careful but eating out is hard. I have business meetings and the men are eating steak and drinking beer. I will drink a beer with them... but I am having trouble with the steak. I get tired of chicken and mashed potates! Only two beers a week still looking for something I can eat without "slimming". Any ideas will greatly be appreciated.

Get a filet mignon, rare to medium and eat slowly, it does go down and is about 4-5oz. If you get the mashed potatoes and veggies, eat in this fashion, one bite meat, then one bite meat again, and one veggie, then one of meat, veggie, and then potato. Repeat this. you will wind up just about finishing the steak and have most of the veggies and almost all the potatoes left. Order Salmon too, guys do that, use the same method to eat.

I go to business lunches all the time, and granted I am a woman, but I still hold my own with my companions who don't know about the band. Make sure you don't eat within 4 hours of going out, your pouch will be mostly empty. If I know I have a lunch scheduled for 2pm, I don't try to eat anything in the morning. (Ok, I can't get anything down now, but you get the picture, I hope)

I was doing a slim fast shake for breakfast as well. Mostly because I need something fast and nutritious. My fill nurse said she does not want me to drink shakes. She said it is better that I eat something that will stay in the pouch. So this week I must make a change . . . but to what I havent decided. I am kind of a creature of habit. I tried south beach Cereal bars with 10g Protein and lower sugars which were a pleasant change.

I have been doing step classes at the gym and some weight training. Aerobics in a class are great because it keeps me motivated (no way i would slow down if everyone is watching). However, biking has been great. I have been doing it more and more. What is even stranger, it is hardly even exercise now. I feel like I can go forever. I am finally feeling that a month of almost daily exercise has completely changed my fitness level. Even my heart rate is dropping.

I eat a lottttt of eggs. Almost every day for lunch. I find them filling and not difficult to eat. I have steak, salmon or chicken for dinner. Since I have had my last fill I am having a bit of a rough spot with them. I think I need to slow down my eating and chew more now than before. It seems like every fill requires more of an adjustment in eating processes. Salads are great and I try to eat fresh organic veggies with my Protein. I am not very hungry and for the most part I am satisfied with my current diet.

Wow, it's good to hear how everyone's doing but it's amazing how different everyone is. I did not have any problem getting anything down until my last fill and then only white bread. I can eat steak and chicken without any problems. Can you tell me how many cc's you have in what size band?

I guess I'm doing ok. Much better than gaining! I can eat most everything, but get into trouble when I don't pay attention and eat too fast-- bites too big or not enough chewing. I am going for fill #4 on 5-7. Lookin' for the sweet spot! Hang in there everyone.

Congrats on all January Bandsters!!! I am doing well. Had 2 fills to date and do not need another. I am struggling as it is to eat 3oz at a meal. My 2nd fill really has been difficult. Cannot even gets Vitamins down some mornings. Last few days much better. Still struggling to learn to eat slow and chew, chew, chew. It is hard to teach an old dog a new trick. Usually drink a Slim Fast with added Protein for breakfast because I can't usually get anything else down. usually tuna or Soup for lunch and then try to eat dinner. Usually very small amount. A total of 3 oz of everything is my limit, that is if I am lucky.

I am walking daily about 2 1/2 miles. Will probably advance to the gym in the real near future. Just finding the additional time is my problem. Not enough hours in the day.

Everyone keep up the good work!!!

Hi Everyone

I was glad to come across this site. It's nice to talk to people who are in this for the same amount of time. I was banded on 1/28 and just had my fifth fill and finally feel some restriction. I was getting very disappointed.

I just had this fill so I can't make any sense of my eating patterns right now. Sometimes I can eat alot and sometimes only a few bites and then I get bad pain in my chest.

I have increased my exercise. Usually walking outisde or the treadmill. I would like to get into bike riding too. It's just hard to motivate myself sometimes. It's easier to rest.

Hi all January Bandsters,I was banded on the 16th Jan. I have 7 1/2 mls in my band. I can eat anything. I was told to eat Protein for breakfast instead of my normal Cereal. Most of the time I have cereal though but I find I am fuller longer with eggs or baked Beans. I have a salad or leftovers from the night before for lunch and either chicken or meat and sometimes fish for dinner with vegs. I try to have some fruit somewhere during the day as well. I was also told not to have any Protein Drinks after the surgery as the Dr and dietician wanted us to eat every day foods. I am walking the dog twice a day and using the treadmill for 1/2 an hour and sometimes the eliptical trainer as well. Working harder than ever before. Good luck to everyone on their weight loss journey.

Saleel22

Hey Bandsters, I have about 5 ccs in my 10 cc band and go in for my third fill in a few weeks. I have noticed a small decrease in my hunger, but I can eat pretty much anything I want.

For Breakfast I ususally do a South Beach high Protein bar and a small yogurt. For lunch, lean cuisine or a small sandwich and some apple sauce and sometimes a fat free, reduced sugar Jello pudding. That fills me up and didn't before so I know there is some restriction.

As for exercise, just walking for me for now, but I told my hubby I wanted to get a bike and go riding this summer. I've kind of fallen off the exercise bandwagon, but I am getting back on tonight with a walk at my local rec center.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to my 3rd fill and I am hoping to reach my sweet spot!

Good luck and forge on!

Alisa

Hi all,

I've had 2 fills for 3 cc in a 5 cc band. Third fill is scheduled for Wednesday, but it will really just be a tweak as I think I'm fairly close to the right level. I try to keep it at around 1000 calories a day, and I don't drink Protein shakes or other liquid calories. I think my main problem is trying to eat too fast and not chewing thoroughly. I've only had 2 pbs, the second this weekend when I decided to have a piece of fried chicken for the first time in a year, only to discover that chicken skin does NOT agree with my band. Other than that, though, I don't have any problem foods.

Exercise continues to be a challenge for me, as I'm not getting into any kind of a regular exercise routine. I'll work out here and there, but probably not enough for it to make a big difference.

Just figured I'd check in. Since my 5th fill there has been some bad restriction and then some eating binges (2 slices of pizza) and I mean that seriously. I don't think I should be able to eat that much. Maybe I need another fill. This is frustrating this journey that we're on.

ok group... I didn't know where to put this, so I found the January thread and I'll start here..

I've joined curves this week.. My plan is to go Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursdays, Friday off.. do yard work on Saturdays, house cleaning too.. and zip on Sundays.. Once I get home I can't get myself motivated to do anything. I was walking but that went bust. I did some free weights, but that went bust too.. I've been stuck at 69 pounds for two weeks now.. Its time to get moving.

I found the Protein drink at GNC in the tube, 42grms.. much more easier to take, 3+ oz to drink instead of 20oz.. I use the Isopure in tea, which is ok.. but I get tired of drinking all that.. some days just plain Water is good. I've added cottage cheese to most meals. Mostly a tablespoon or 1/4 cup. I need the dairy.. and a piece of fruit. strawberries, berries, kiwi.. somedays they don't go don't to good, but I give 'em all a try. My hubby cooks on the pit for me, chicken, brisket.. I then cut it up and vaccum seal for my meals.. He has been great about cooking for himself, adding smaller things for me. like steams veggies and such.. He's strickly a meat and potato man. I still have my chocolate.. probably why I'm stuck for two weeks!! LOL can't give it up!! I did pizza, or lets say I tried to do pizza. har the bread was the worst!! So eating the topping is the new 'pizza' for me and just one slice, a big one.. but I use to eat 4 or 5 slices, so that is new for me. How is everyone doing? Summer is here and I hope all is busy and those pounds are dropping off... GAWD! I love my band...

:incazzato:

Its been so freakin hot in NYC for the past three days I can't motivate myself to walk or do a damn thing.

Not only that, I have not been hungry for a few days either, been drinking up a storm of Water, slimfast, and veggies and fruits I have juiced. I have even finshed a 10 pound watermelon. But no real food.

Want to hear the kicker, I have gained 3 pounds. I think its my body retaining Water in all this heat. But since I haven't been hungry I am just drinking so I am not letting it bother me. My band, I guess, likes the heat.