Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Surgery Check-In

DON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN!!! You won't be far behind anyone and you're ahead of the millions of people who haven't had the courage or foresight yet to take this journey. You're doing great and carry that scar like a badge of honor, baby! I have one 2.5 inch at the port and four others. If you ad them all up.....it's close to 7 inches :laugh:

Gwenn

I was banded on 5/28/2008 and was warned by several doctors about how my age and weight might cause complications. I am happy to report they were wrong. When I woke up after the surgery I had some wicked chest pain which resolved over the day as gas started to pass. No real pain, some aches which were relieved by Tylenol and the ever present gas which has been slow to resolve but is very tolerable.

YAY for all of us

So glad to hear that all of you are doing well!!! Shannon I know you feel a little disappointment but some people go into surgery and don't get it done....some people never even try...Just a little longer to heal your incision and that's the only difference! Keep it clean, watch out for changes...and all will be well before you know it! Just like Gwenn said...add up my 5 incisions and they probably add up to 7 inches! I would say your scar is "normal"....while I look like somebody attacked me with a pocket knife! :-) Just wanting to make you smile...

Hello . . I am so happy I came across this site. I was banded on May 27 and I'm feeling great!!! Occasionally I get that dreaded pain in my left shoulder but I was told to walk . .walk . . walk and that a heating pad might work . . to my surprise it does. I'll be going back to see my Doctor June 5 . . I can hardly wait. I'm still on clear fluids and starting to feel hungry.

Edited by Yukiko

Thanks you guys, I love how you can turn something that I thought was disapointing into something funny, that I will come to be greatful for. And I think its true, I am just up and down with my emotions a bit, but today, a new day and I feel great, well good...anyways i will keep posting as i get better....someone told me i might not be able to go back to work for 3 months....i really hope not!

We ALL have bad days. I was so together after the surgery and now, nearly 6 weeks later.....I'm having a tough time. Too much gas, and what feels like gas pain but who knows, around the port area. My port area is still very tender, and I can't eat much at a time. I've heard that if I'm still swollen and not eating much, they may not do the first fill as scheduled on Wed. So, that's my complaints. I've been told it takes a while for all the issues and emotions to work through. I can't wait to find out nothing is wrong with my port etc and that I'm ready for a fill.

So hold on and yup....have a good laugh.

enigma- you are hilarious. Pocketknife cuts.......ROFLMAO!

Hang in there Shannon! I felt awful at first, the pain was worst than I expected. My port incision hurt like hell. I couldn't laugh, bend, cough, or stand up straight, without being in pain. BUT about a week out, I felt back to my normal self, pretty much pain free. Time will heal your wounds and before long, you will forget what the pain feels like!

I am still in shock that I got this done. I get so proud of myself, I could cry at times! I am so happy I did this for me. The best part for me is that I can finally say that I will lose weight AND MEAN IT! Not hoping and wishing and starting every Monday on some new diet, that never works.

This is the best decision I ever made!:P

lexi- its nice to see you're doing better!!!

the pain DOES go away as the days go by. i only had bad shoulder pain, but its gone now.

:thumbup:hello all

band date may 1st doing great today june 2nd is first day back to work still alittle sore desk job a bit uncomfortable but all is fine down 25 pounds!!!!!!!!! will check in later

God bless first fill june 11th

Yay everyone!!! Congrats! I can't believe I actually went through with all this either, but I'm so glad I did!!! Thanks for all the good thoughts!!!!! The first couple days I felt awful after all the meds from the hospital wore off, I was super sore, dizzy, lightheaded, and nauseous. Just last night I finally went out and hung out with my friend, it felt so good to get out and it feels so good to feel like myself again! Now I just can't wait until I can start on some real foods! I'm so sick of yogurt, pudding, and strained soups! I just want to eat some real chicken noodle, chicken and noodles included! Lol. Congrats again everyone!!!!!!!!!

Well, I had my 4 week post op appt yesterday. Lost 4 more lbs, making 12 total. I'm pleased with that. Get my first fill in 2 more weeks. I'm already off the prilosec, and feeling really great! Just wish I had taken the plunge earlier!

Glad to hear everyone else is doing well.............

Mel

Well I am not a May bandster, a little early. My surgery was 4/28 and just had my first fill today. After the skin infection cleared up I have been feeling great. I have lost 12 lbs since the surgery and exercising a lot. Hope all is well for the others out there and keep up the great work everyone.

Hi, here is an FYI on my post op experience, for those of you flying to have your surgery. I was banded Thur 05/29/08. I flew across the country because I am a self pay. I arrived the 28th and had a plane ticket to go home late in the afternoon on the 30th. I was soooooo sick after surgery. I had a hard time waking up from the anesthesia. I was dry heaving at the surgery center. I spent 7 hours there. When I got back to the hotel, I had abdominal pain from the surgery, gas pain and was soo nauseas I kept on with the dry heaves. I got a stronger nausea med that didn't seem to work. for the first 2 days I slept off and on waking up every 30-45 minutes moaning and groaning and sometimes dry heaving. because I was so nauseas, I was advised to hold off on pain meds too. Needless to say I cancelled my flight and went home a couple days later. those first few days really sucked! I spent 12 hours flying home and got home at 1:00am. Crazy me decided to go to work the next day and put in a 6 hour day Monday and Tuesday. Today I actually went home half a day and layed on the couch, just to rest.

My doctor told me one out of 89 will react to the anesthesia, so I was one of the lucky ones!!! Any out of staters-stay a couple days post op just in case!!!!