Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breastfeeding Bandsters Unite!

Surely I can't be the only nursing bandster..who else is out there?

I am nursing my 4th right now..was banded on April 25th..nursed when I left for the surgery..nursed when I came home (6 hours later..lol).

It was a bit painful having her plop on top of my belly with my incisions (a pillow between us helped!)..and the first night was rough, as she seemed to want to nurse every hour, but we are doing well now, 4 days later. Just have to remind her to be gentle on Mama :lol:

Might want to check the pregnacy forum. I'm guessing most of our nursing mothers are still hanging out in that area. I'm only in my 2nd trimester but I know others have delivered and are still on the board.

Surely I can't be the only nursing bandster..who else is out there?

I am nursing my 4th right now..was banded on April 25th..nursed when I left for the surgery..nursed when I came home (6 hours later..lol).

It was a bit painful having her plop on top of my belly with my incisions (a pillow between us helped!)..and the first night was rough, as she seemed to want to nurse every hour, but we are doing well now, 4 days later. Just have to remind her to be gentle on Mama :lol:

Good for you HippieMama! I was nursing numbers 5+6 (twins) when I had surgery but they both weaned within a couple months ..they were almost done anyway. How old is your nursling? If she's very young you might want to be careful as you get started losing this weight. ..remember your body is going to take care of the milk before you! Good luck to ya! (Oh, and I am a Lactation Consultant if you have any questions/concerns!!)

Susan

=n=n=n=n=n=

Mom To:

Hannah, Logan

Lance,

Hayden,

and the TWINkies

Mason & Morgan

=n=n=n=n=n=

weight.png

Hey Susan! You sound like a like-minded Mama :w00t:

My little isn't so little :lol: She is going to be 2 in a couple weeks. The others all weaned while I was pregnant with the next one (4 kids in 7 years..lol). This is the first that will wean without a sibling coming along.

Hi Ladies,

I am a fairly new first time mom. My son is 3 months on the 4th! I have had a very hard time with breastfeeding. First off he will NOT latch on for anything he is too urgent and will not work for his food. Second, I do not produce enough milk no matter how much I pump, and I am even on meds to help lactate, and I barely pump two oz at both breasts. I am still doing my best to give him at least one bottle of breastmilk a day.. better than nothing I say.

Btw I was banded March 6, 2006, starting weight was 305, went down to 193 then found out I was pregnant. I gained 57 lbs with pregnancy, lost 32 so far, but am really struggling, been stuck at the same 4 lbs going up and down for the past 2 months! There are lots of mommies in the pregnant and banded forum.

Candice

I gave birth on 1-9-08 and breast feed all day and all night!

I have had my band for over 4 years and gained 57lbs while preg. Just got a fill this week and have lost 5 lbs.

It is weird to have restriction again.

Christine

You burn about 500 calories a day while breastfeeding..so it can for sure be a great weight loss help..however, some of us use up those extra 500, plus some :blush:

I was nursing my six month old, but having the surgery dried me up so much that I had to stop within a couple of months.

Hey All, I am new to this site. My DD is 8 months old and I was wondering if you can have a fill while nursing?

Another nursing mama here. My baby was about 12 months old when I had my surgery. He's my third and his older sisters were extended nursers as well.

As far as losing weight while breastfeeding, it's never been one of the perks of breastfeeding for me. My sister as well. She says she can't ever lose that baby weight until she weans (usually about 12 months old). Something about maternal fat stores or something.

Hi,

I am glad to find out some women are in the same boat as me! I just had my DD on 1/15/08 and am still nursing. I plan to nurse her to at least the first year. My question is, can you still be approved the same to have your surgery done while you are nursing? I was thinking like that other post I would just nurse before surgery and then when I got home. I am worried about her the most. I hope that I get approved and can still nurse my little girl!

Thanks

I ended up nursing my almost one year old about 5 or 6 hours after surgery. I tried to pump, but nothing would come out, so I just nursed him. It kind of depends on what your surgeon and anesthesiologist recommend. Our goal was to pump and dump one feeding and then nurse the next. That wasn't exactly how it worked out. It was nice for dh because our son slept 10 hours straight for him that night, not a usual feat.

Dr. Sears has an article on his website about anesthesia and he writes that the body has metabolized the anesthesia quickly enough that it's safe to nurse. Other places I read that you should pump a feeding or two and dump. Good luck figuring things out.

So I have been breastfeeding since 1-9-08 and got a fill 4-29-08. I have lost about 20 lbs. My fill is just right and I am just trying to make good choices to provide the nutrients for baby.

Damn it! My hair is falling out AGAIN!!!!! Another short hair cut in my near future.

Christine mother of Paloma

I am considering lap band and was searching lap band and breastfeeding and found this site (thanks) I bf my dd for 2.5 years until I got pregnant with my son. I am currently nursing him 8 months. Will they approve my surgury if I am still nursing?