Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self pay wise?

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of backing out. I am self pay and I am scared of going into debt with the economy looking so bad and gas prices continually rising. I want to have the surgery but I am not fully convinced that it is a wise decision financially. I can aford it now but if things continue to worsen who knows? I would like to hear from other self payers. Is it worth the debt to you?

Generally, I think it is a good investment in yourself. However, be sure that you have enough money for fills and aftercare, if you don't have insurance and the surgery does not include the fills. Be sure to research what your aftercare costs are going to be. If you can't afford the fills afterwards, there is little sense in getting the surgery, since the fills are what usually makes it work!

the week before my procedure my husband tells me that because he failed his physical fitness exam (he's a Marine) he could get kicked out. talk about stress, i didn't want to go through with it because of the debt we could face if we didnt have his income.

he finally convinced me to go ahead with it. he since has improved his score on his physical and even though he may still be facing problems, i feel more confident and i'm only just beginning. he assures me that even if something happens, he will do whatever he needs to to keep us in the lifestyle we all have come accustomed to.

but i know how you feel, i was so scared about our future. there are still times that i worry but i feel it was worth it. hubby feels it was worth it, not because i'm losing weight, but because i'm gaining confidence.

and in the long run, it will improve your health, which can be more expensive than the band long term

Or are you making excuses because you are scared? I know I have, I am going to be a self pay if my "new" insurance doesn't cover it.

Tottie1990,

It is certainly a scary world out there right now and I understand your concerns about the recession. I do not know your total financial picture, but I have a few thoughts.

First, have you thought about going to Mexico? There are fabulous doctors (do your research) in Mexico that cost about $7K as opposed to $15K in the U.S.

Second, do you have insurance? if you do, put in writing that you are requesting the surgery and have a doctor explain why the surgery is Medically Necessary. Even with a WLS exclusion, you CAN get coverage if you fight hard enough. What will happen is you will make your request to the insurance company, and after they deny it, go ahead and get and self-pay for the surgery. Then you can seek reimbursement based on the argument that the surgery is covered because it was medically necessary. It will usually take about 2-3 appeals before you will get coverage, but you can if you meet the criteria or threaten a lawsuit. I have researched this and know a lot about it so feel free to PM me. I am going this route, having the surgery in Mexico, and then demanding that the insurance co. reimburse me. If I have to, I will sue for reimbursement. The insurance company must pay my attorneys' fees if I win.

Third, how secure do you feel in your job? If you were laid off today, would you be able to find a job easily? Do you have enough savings to live on for 2-3 months if you are unemployed? This is just something to consider; ultimately only you can decide how much risk you are willing to take.

Finally, consider the tax implications of having the surgery. You can get a deduction for the amount of the surgery if your health care costs are 7 percent of your adjusted gross income (or something like that).

IMHO, I think the money is well spent despite the state of the economy. Ultimately you will save so much in health care costs, food, clothing, etc. and you will be feeling more confident which will make it easier to find work if you should need to. The main thing is to start now. Your health is worth more than gold! Again just my opinion.

As far as getting into debt, make sure you are getting the lowest interest rate you can. You can always call your credit card co. and demand a lower rate by saying that you have better offers. Make sure the monthly payments are something you can live with.

Gosh, I've really left a long post, and I apologize in advance for any unsolicited advice. I just hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Best of luck,

Angela

about going to Mexico. A lot of Americans think it's scary but there are oodles of healthcare facilities in Mexico that are designed to attract wealthy foreigners to their confines. There are companies like World Med Assist that help arrange American trips to Mexico for healthcare as well.

Lap Bands were approved in Mexico before they were approved in the US. Cathy Pickren, who works for Dr. Rumbaut (who has a Lap Band himself), lived in Seattle and was referred to Mexico by her physician in the 90s. When the FDA finally approved the Band, the manufacturer brought in the surgeons from Mexico to teach American doctors how to perform the surgery safely. You look at people like Ortiz, Rumbaut and Corvala and they've performed, literally, thousands and thousands of surgeries. Most of the hospitals and surgery centers that they use have lots of photos online and you can see testimonials from their patients.

However you go, best of luck!

The economy the world over is getting worse but I wouldn't let it stop me. I was self pay - I had a choice. Pay it or die. Pretty simple choice for me.

Thanks you guys! You are so awesome. I hesitated to post because I am pretty shy and have never posted anything before. I usually just read everyone else's. You have really encouraged me. Thanks again.

I'm a self-pay. As long as you are absolutely, 100% committed to making changes in your life, exercise, and eating habits...YES, it is worth it. It has been for me. Even when I was "bad" for like 2 months, straight. Yes, I was bad, but I maintained because I tried to stay at least semi-active AND I was not able to eat as much junk in one sitting as I used to (MAN, is that frustrating...LOL).

I would go back and get the surgery right now if I had to make the decision again.

I was self-pay and it is the best money I've ever spent. My grocery bill is less than half what it used to be so those savings help me with the note payment. When I eat out I have left overs for the next couple of days.

Life is so much better with the band!