Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question??? I'm at the beginning of this journey...i have a meeting with my pcp next Friday and hope/pray she'll help me get going on this...

I've been researching everything because i want to know up front what is ahead...and i'm ready to make changes.....i had a question on diet coke...i typically have one each day with lunch...am i to believe that diet cokes go away and are not allowed once your banded??? At all??? I am ok with making changes..i'm ready....but honestly i often thought i could give up food before my diet coke.:w00t:

My girlfriend had a bypass a year ago, and she couldnt have diet coke at the beginning..but slowly introduced it back a few months after surgery...

The other thing i have come to like the sugar free or lite Cranberry juice - is that ok?

Finally, coffee..i usually have a cup in the morning with sugar free sweetner - yes? or no?

I know i will get info on the do's and don'ts...but please bear with me..i'm trying to get my head in the right place beforehand so that i dont feel deprivation which always leads to me feeling cranky! lol:biggrin2:

Thank you for your help - its truly appreciated!

My Doctor said no Caffeine and no Carbonated drinks, he doesn't even want me to have Decaf coffee. sugar free drinks are fine. It all depends on what your Dr and nutritionist recommend for your diet.

i have been drinking pepsi max since 1 yr out, i didnt want to risk it before then :-)

My Doc says no carbonated drinks EVER. No caffine for at least the first 2 months, sounds like some doctors may vary so ask yours.

I love my diet cokes but I gave them up for pregnancy and survived. I'm sure I will miss them at first but it's a small l price to pay

I was told coffee was fine and only flat soda (what is the point?). I still drink a lot of coffee in the mornings but have had no problem with soda. I was a few diet pepsi's a day type of person and I went cold turkey the day before the surgery. I start to miss it then I just make myself an iced coffee. :w00t:

I too was a soda junkie. I thought it would be the hardest thing for me to give up but it wasn't anywhere near as hard as the coffee. My nutritionist is a big believer in no caffeine and no carbonated beverages. I listened to the carbonation part since I was too scared to experience the pain that might come with trapped gas. I still drink my iced and regular coffee though. I did good for about 6 weeks but then I just wanted it. It really varies from person to person and from doctor to doctor. Best advice I'd say is follow your doctor's orders to the best of your ability and be very careful when you don't.

My doctor says NO sodas EVER and NO CAFFEINE. I can have Decaf coffee and teas with artificial sweetners, but the caffinated stuff cant count toward ur Water intake. My best friend was a diet coke junkie and she has survived well. I became a crystal light drinker before surgery so I"ve had no problem with fluids. Crystal Light also has an awesome cranberry flavor, and I love to mix it with grape. Wal-mart brand is actually just s good and in some flavors taste better than Crystal Light.

My Doctor said no Caffeine and no Carbonated drinks, he doesn't even want me to have Decaf coffee. sugar free drinks are fine. It all depends on what your Dr and nutritionist recommend for your diet.

My doctor said he used to restrict diet soda intake but now allows it only when on solids and if tolerated. He said it used to be thought that the carbonation would erode the band but they found that it does not. However, he said it may make me too gassy so it's really indicivudal, just like some people can't eat meat, others can't eat chicken, some can't drink diet soda. I am 10 days post op and personally can't wait to start the diet coke again (caffeine free) but I have to admit that before surgery I would drink about a 64oz bottle a day and thought I would go crazy missing it but I weaned off of it about a week before surgery and it's been really okay without it.

You have to try it once you're fully healed and see if you can tolerate it, like everything else.

I'm curious about the "no coffee" rule. Did your doctor say why? Because of the acid? Because of the diuretic effect?

The no carbonated drink rule I understand, since it creates gas and burpiing in your stomach, which could cause your band to shift when it is new.

thanks for all the responses...of course esp at the beginning i would be diligent because who really knows what will happen until you slowly start testing things carefully...i do like crystal light..so maybe that will help....just knowing that its still a possibility to have a diet coke in my future makes me happy...lol....now if only i could hurry up this process!

I'm certainly gaining alot of info and help already by finding this site! Thanks all!

I can drink diet coke or any other softdrink without a problem - I don't get any gas problems.

My sister couldn't when she was banded. It just depends on whether you can tolerate it or not.

My doctor said no carbonated drinks at all. coffee and tea were fine with him. I was given tea and coffee immediately after surgery.

I felt the same way about Diet Coke. I gave it up for a few months after surgery but I drink it occasionally now. I have to drink it over ice. It is too carbonated right out of the can and burns a little. If you try to drink after surgery or right after a fill you won't be able to. It hurts pretty bad.

If you really only have 1 a day it won't be hard to give up. I used to drink 6 or so a day and I gave it up for a few months with no problems.

As for caffeine, each doctor is different.

I am soon to be banded by Dr. Fielding at NYU. He has been banded himself and, in the info session, he stated that he drinks a diet coke every day for lunch. Obviously, this really isnt the best nutritional way to eat, but I figure if one of the most prominent lap band surgeons in the US is drinking diet coke, then its probably okay as long as your body can tolerate it....everyone is different!

I am soon to be banded by Dr. Fielding at NYU. He has been banded himself and, in the info session, he stated that he drinks a diet coke every day for lunch. Obviously, this really isnt the best nutritional way to eat, but I figure if one of the most prominent lap band surgeons in the US is drinking diet coke, then its probably okay as long as your body can tolerate it....everyone is different!

That is great to hear. I always feel guily when I drink it. If I have any discomfort then I don't drink it but it usually goes down fine.