Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are you feeling about your band - RIGHT NOW?

I find that there are times when I love my band or hate my band, but I am never ever indifferent to it.

Right now, I am loving my band. My restriction is perfect for this time and what is going on in my life. I am losing weight and feeling good about myself. I have not eaten any junk food in over a week and am feeling "detoxed". It really is a constant struggle to keep this up, to remind myself that I am worth the stuggle and that there are foods that will harm me.

How are you feeling today?

I have loved mine for 2 years 5 months 2 days and 1 hour and have never hated it. I've had days where I've had to allow it to be boss and that's fine with me. Sometimes I need a swift hand over me so that's what the band is to me. I'm probably indifferent to it most days since I don't even think of it anymore. It's there and does its job but it's never a love/hate thing for me.

I have loved mine for 2 years 5 months 2 days and 1 hour and have never hated it. I've had days where I've had to allow it to be boss and that's fine with me. Sometimes I need a swift hand over me so that's what the band is to me. I'm probably indifferent to it most days since I don't even think of it anymore. It's there and does its job but it's never a love/hate thing for me.

I do hope that I will get to where you are some day. The love/hate thing is front and centre.

S

I love my band today! But I do still have moments of frustration when I want to eat something I shouldn't and the band won't let me. I hate it in the moment but I love it the next day!

I've never been unhappy with my band. I was a bit frustrated and unhappy a few weeks ago as I just wasn't losing weight, even though I was doing everything right. But I've resigned myself to being a person who loses slowly, and if I only lose 3 pounds or so a month, then I'm still going to get there eventually.

However, I especially feel optimistic about it because this is the first time that I have been able to stay on an eating plan, despite the fact that I often don't lose weight on any of them, for longer than three months. So that means that where I used to go (for example) on a cleanse for a week and be upset that I only lost 1 pound while starving, I'd then just eat everything in sight in frustration (and gain 3lbs! perverse or what?), now I am on one continuous journey with no binges or detours.

So I'm pretty happy. Love to be able to say I've lost 50 or 60 pounds in the six months, but I'm down 33, so I can live with that. And as the weight falls off, I can be even more vigorous with my exercise and hopefully it will come off a bit better! More muscle, better weight loss!

Mary

I love my band... I never forget I have it and I have never really hated it... it is what it is.... after 6 years I know it is one of my salvations and graces.

I will say there are a few things I miss.. like chugging a beer or a huge glass of milk I can't do it, I miss eating thick crust pizza a few bites and I am full... am I will to change for the things I miss no because I don't miss being 296 lbs

Heather

Today, so far, I love it. I have the love/hate thing too. I may hate it later on today, who knows. I love it today, cause even though I'm completely defilled, every time I weigh myself, I haven't gained 10lbs like I'm so sure I have! I'm actually maintaining.... and it's CRAZY! :rolleyes2:

After 14 months, I love the band. How could I hate it when I no longer stuff food in my mouth like there is no tomorrow. When I go to restaurants I see the huge portions people are eating and I my mouth no longer waters. I feel full after eating a meal, a feeling I never experienced before the band. I eat anything I want as long as it never goes over a cup and I chew the food well. All this wonderful time, I am losing two pounds per month with hardly trying. With my new upbeat life, there is no way I can hate my band. Doddie

Yesterday my band pissed me off. We went to the dawn service as it was Anzac Day in Australia (where we remember our war heroes) so we went out for Breakfast afterwards in St Kilda. St Kilda is a vibrant, hip inner city suburb with great eateries - its a real treat, but did I want Breakfast? Not on your life. I paid $16.50 for a simply enormous plate of bacon, eggs, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes and toast, ate one egg and a piece of bacon, lol. I cannot wait until Doug is banded too and we woudl share, but as it was he wanted his WHOLE plateful, didnt want to share with me, lol.

Then I took about an hour to eat a yogurt six hours later, then PB'd a handful of cashews and couldnt eat any dinner.

Right as rain today, but my period arrived.

Someitmes I jsut want to go out and really enjoy eating out. I dont mind hardly eating anything, its the anxiety about getting stuck that I hate. I dont want loads of food, I just want to be able to relax and enjoy what I do eat without the fear of public embarrassment. I hardly EVER PB but when I do get stuck, its always when I'm eating socially.

jachut: I guess the band is affected by stress. When you eat out, are you stressed you "might" PB? Try ordering an appetizer. I went out for the first time since the band and ordered an an appetizer of 6 jumbo shrimp. Everyone was tucking into their meal and never noticed how slowly I ate. When they finished, I was finished. I set my fork down. My DH as always, raided my plate and finished off the last remaining shrimp.

I correspond with a lady who goes out and orders a burger w/o the bun, Pasta w/o the pasta, etc. She gets lots of surprised looks but never a waiter/waitress failed to give her the order she requested. In fact, she enjoys making odd orders as well as she never PBs. :rolleyes2:Doddie

I cannot wait until Doug is banded too and we woudl share, but as it was he wanted his WHOLE plateful, didnt want to share with me, lol. quote]

Wait until he has this done! I can't believe he would not let you have one egg and a piece of bacon out of that whole plateful! What a waste of money for your plate (unless, of course, he ate that too!)

He'll have a big shock when he's banded, for sure.

I never thought about my period making me tighter. I'll have to see whether that is true for me.

I tend to BP when I'm eating with my husband. I think it is partially that I'm not paying attention, but also he never wants to eat at regular times and by the time we eat, I'm quite hungry and those first few bites do me in. (too fast, too big a bite) I'll have to be more strict about eating when I'm hungry.

Mary

I also am anxious about eating socially. It has happened that I have PBed in public (in front of my in-laws yet) and it was very embarrassing. Right now eating out is not really an option because of my problems with chewing, everything is liquid or puree - do you think I can bring my Magic Bullet to a restaurant? :wink2:

I keep telling myself that when all this is over with my teeth (September), I will have lost a good amount of weight and will definitely enjoy chewing properly and eating solid foods again. It will be a win-win situation!

you may not be able to take a magic bullet, but why can't you order something that is pureed. Such as a bowl of Soup. Take your time eating it and enjoy the conversation. I would even throw in a glass of wine to drink with the soup.

I also am anxious about eating socially. It has happened that I have PBed in public (in front of my in-laws yet) and it was very embarrassing. Right now eating out is not really an option because of my problems with chewing, everything is liquid or puree - do you think I can bring my Magic Bullet to a restaurant? :rolleyes:

I keep telling myself that when all this is over with my teeth (September), I will have lost a good amount of weight and will definitely enjoy chewing properly and eating solid foods again. It will be a win-win situation!

I have been eating out since immediately after getting my band no choice.. Soup is an awesome option, I like ordering french onion and for a long long time I would order it with no cheese or bread, stews are great too.

I also order a lot of appetizers or I tend to talk a lot during if you are talking no one expects you to be eating and they just think you are a lighter eater.

Until you are really familiar with your band don't push eating out with strange foods or foods that are known to irritate a lot of bandsters like bread and rice or beef. You can also offer to share an entree with some one just say you are super hungry right now. I would stick to smaller portion sizes and by all means get comfy in restaurants I am in there4-6 times a week at least so it took a bit but now I am great with eating out

Good luck

H