Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left Shoulder Pain...gas or something else?

I had surgery on 3/16/09 and the left shoulder pain started on 3 days after surgery and hasn't stopped since. I saw my surgeon today and he said that something is pressing on my diaphram and that is causing the pain. Said will do a CT scan and if that is the cause will do surgery and try to reposition the band, port or whatever is causing the problem, but if that doesn't help will have to remove the band. I am really attached to my band and that is the last thing that I would want to have done. Has anyone else had to have a band repositioned or removed because of this?

So what happened with the shoulder pain? I was banded 4 days ago and the pain in my shoulder is driving me nuts!

Mine eventually went away completely. It was considerably less after about 2-3 weeks and pretty much totally gone in a month or so. I was banded over a year ago now and have no additional shoulder pains. I'm sure yours will go away too - I hope it does quickly!

banded on 6/16....shoulder pain is still recurring. usually after I eat! doesn't matter how little I eat it still hurts. my doc refilld my meds hate taking them but see now other way around it! I am also using the heating bag that heats up in microwave and that seems to help. I am finally able to burp without agonizing pain and seem to burp alot now!! I am trying to stay positive but it is pretty rotten pain! Saw my doc last wed and he said it may last a few wks esp since i had the hernia repair and those nerves are all connected! sigh....have lost 6 lbs since surgery!!:scared2:

I'm trying the heating pad for my shoulder/chest pain. It seems to help some. I am also trying to walk around a little more. I know it has only been four days, but I can't wait to see some results!! I'm going to try to come off my meds today. They make me feel so blaaaa.

Hello Bea...sorry for the late response....just joined after banding on 6/24....My "left" pain brought doubts, fears and remorse....seriously! The hospital and my Dr. called to ck up on me and I asked what this pain was. They both explained that during the lap surgery, the tummy is filled w/gas, which brings pain and restriction for a few days. With that said, still a bit of gas left...but the a similar restriction/pain will also come due to drinking too fast/too much....I sooo relate to what you felt...I even thought at one point because I couldn't take a deep breath, that maybe I was having a heart attack.....Soooo many things run through your head when you hurt....I hope you are doing better...take care :scared2:

Hello Bea...sorry for the late response....just joined after banding on 6/24....My "left" pain brought doubts, fears and remorse....seriously! The hospital and my Dr. called to ck up on me and I asked what this pain was. They both explained that during the lap surgery, the tummy is filled w/gas, which brings pain and restriction for a few days. With that said, still a bit of gas left...but the a similar restriction/pain will also come due to drinking too fast/too much....I sooo relate to what you felt...I even thought at one point because I couldn't take a deep breath, that maybe I was having a heart attack.....Soooo many things run through your head when you hurt....I hope you are doing better...take care :ohmy:

The hot shower and heating pad helped with the shoulder pain last night. Thanks. I'm going to try to walk more today.It might be just to the mail box and back a few times. I did weigh this morning. I've lost 3 lbs! Going to try the day without meds.go me! Banded on the 25th.:-)

I am two months post op and find I still have some issues, Generally after an "incident" or if I laugh and take in a lot of air, the pain settles just like the gas from the surgery.

I am two months post op and find I still have some issues, Generally after an "incident" or if I laugh and take in a lot of air, the pain settles just like the gas from the surgery.

You are doing great on your weight loss! has any of the gax meds helped?