Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wine,beer and alcohol

I am new to this lap-band thing...I have my first appointment with my surgeon next month..I have been on this site for almost 2weeks and have heard everything about this program, what to eat, what to do and not to do:lol:...What about alcohol, wine and beer???? Is that a no-no??????

basically, on a regular basis, no.

they just provide lots of empty calories, stimulate appetite, irrirate your stomach, and depress your mood and willpower.

once in a while a couple ounces is okay though.

except if it has carbonation, most doctors would tell you to still stay away from it.

good luck

I had surgery on Jan. 23rd, and my doctor said that alcohol is fine. I usually drink 3-4 glasses of wine per week, but I make room for the extra calories by doing extra cardio on those days.

wow that is good to know that you can at least have a glass or two if the mood strikes. I thought about that.

Moderate red wine consumption is healthy for your heart, in fact mum's cardiologist insisted she tell all 3 of her daughters to have a small glass of red most nights. Luckily I'd already started that habit years ago, lol.

Red wine ISNT empty calories, its full of antioxidants and flavanoids that are beneficial to your health. Beer and spirits we can all live without, but it doenst hurt to indulge occasionally.

Interestingly, I went to a lapband seminar a month or two back (with DH who is getting banded) and the surgeon speaking said that the patients they have that drink wine everynight have better results than the non drinkers. I've no idea why, she didnt elaborate.

I asked before I had the surgery because I LIVE for summer by the pool with friends and a few drinks... I won't be giving up the drinks, but will work it into my daily caloric intake, just like Weight Watchers recommends.

Each doctor has their own opinion about this subject. Here is the information I was given...

In addition to meeting with my nutritionist for an hour appointment, I had to attend a 2 hour class which discussed nutrition post surgery. We were told to avoid alcohol at all costs for the first year of losing weight. Not only does it lower your tolerance to alcohol but also puts your liver at increased risks for liver toxicity, cancer and other liver diseases. It can also contribute to hypoglycemia. ulcers and malnutrition.

It was explained that your liver is not only working overtime burning fat from your body but if it has to process alcohol then it's giving it a double wammy for having to work that it's defenses are at higher risks for getting sick.

I have never been a wine drinker, but have started experimenting and found that a Pinot Noir is pretty good. If you are not a wine drinker, it can tend to be a little dry. Try a splash of Light Cran-Grape with it and it tends to lighten the dry taste.

This has been a burning question of mine as well- I understand the empty calories, but more interested in whether it is tolerable with the band. With all choices come consequences- having an adult beverage would be a choice and working off the empty calories would be the accountability of that choice or the consequence of a gain if not.

Just my 2 cents..... =)