Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just need to "talk" out my frustration.

I don't have anyone to talk my frustrations over, so I just thought I'd type. I know there isn't anything anyone can do, but maybe it will help me just to rant.

I had my Lapband surgery on March 4th. At the end of 6 weeks when I went back for my checkup and for my first fill, I had lost 22 pounds (of which I'm proud). In the doctor's office, after 2 needles (a shorter one and then a longer one) and 10 minutes of trying (and much sticking), he didn't have any success filling the band. He scheduled me to come back last Thursday (4/17) to his other office and we would do the procedure with the help of sonogram. On Thursday, after 30 minutes, 4 needles and 9 more puncture spots on my already sore stomach from three days prior, he was still unsuccessful.

I am now scheduled to go to the hospital tomorrow to attempt it again with the fluoroscope. "They" say that the third time is the charm. Let's hope so.

On top of all of this worry and frustration, I get a telephone call from the doctor's office today and was informed that the insurance "mispaid". Previously, the doctor's office contacted the insurance company (BCBS)because BCBS had paid more for the procedure than normal. The insurance clerk says she was told by BCBS that the payment was correct. So, she then proceded to forward me a refund check for what I had overpaid. Now after 6 weeks have gone by, BCBS now says they paid too much and want their $423 back. I called BCBS myself today and they told me that when the insurance clerk called, they noted on my record that they told her they were going to reprocess the claim to see if it was paid correctly.

Now, I'm between the insurance company telling me one thing and the doctor's office telling me another thing, but the bottom line is the doctor's office wants $423 immediately and I don't have $4.23, must less $423.

I am so begining to regret ever going through this. The doctor hasn't been able to fill me, and the doctor's assistant says if I don't pay the money back immediately, then they won't be servicing me anymore and could take legal actions.

I think there is a song out there "Had a bad day..." Well, I've had a bad week and am ready to scream.

Again, I'm sure nobody really cares because this isn't anybody's elses problem, but it does help just to "air my frustrations." Certainly doesn't solve anything, but -- well.

I don't know what to tell you. That is very, very frustrating! Big hug though! I would think the Dr's office would be willing to work with you a little bit on this.

Paula...reminds me of that car commercial that has been airing lately...their song goes..."Just can't seem to get it right today".

Sorry for all you're troubles. Sorry, but tell the lady at your surgeon's office she will have to wait for her money.

Hang in there. Hoping you will get your fill soon.

I would go into your doctor's office and face to face ask to discuss a payment plan you can live with. It's harder to be mean to someone face to face than it is on the phone. Since this is partly their fault, or at least they were involved in the process that resulted in mispayment, they should be willing to work this out for you.

Unfortunately, doctor's offices do get stuck with unpaid bills, and so they tend to be really inflexible at first. Keep that in mind and show them you are sincere in trying to work out the problem, and I bet they will work with you.

paula i'm so sorry your having such a bad week! we are all here to help and support each other so i'm glad that you typed all ur frustrations out...we are here to listen and support each other! :glare: i really hope things start getting better....doctors offices have to deal with insurance companies all the time...i guess you just have to hope that this has happened before and they can be patient and work it all out. keep your chin up...you have already lost 22lbs!! thats wonderful, you will get though this...its the hard times that make the good ones worthwhile.

marine

hang in there I know things seem tough right now but everything has a way of working itself out. I hope this will happen very soon for you.

Sorry to hear about the insurance issues. Wouldn't you love to tell your doctor's office they'll get their money when they can get the fill right without making you look like a pin cushion. I guess this (the forum) is where you can say the things you would like to say...but can't. Good luck! Prayers are with you.

Well, today is a new day.

I went for my third attempt at getting my first fill and after only 3 puncture holes, my doctor was able to give me my first fill!!!

While I had my doctor's full attention, I talked one-on-one with him about the insurance issue (of which he certainly knew nothing about at this point). He told me to please not stress about it and whatever I could do would be fine. He told me a PAYMENT PLAN would be acceptable and to just tell that mean insurance clerk how much I would be paying. I left with a large load off of my shoulders. Actually shed a few tears as he was telling me to please not stress over this problem. My doctor said it was so refreshing to see somebody concerned over paying him instead of just never paying and never worrying about it.

So, although I now have a new bill every month for a while, things are better. Thanks again for all of the comments. (I was beginning to feel like a pin cushion!!)

Have a great day.

Paula

I'm not sure why the doctor didn't do the 1st fill with fluroscopy to begin with. That's what our doctors/hospitals do. I'm glad to hear you did get a good first fill and that they are going to work out the insurance snafu with you too.

i'm glad it all worked out paula!

Well, today is a new day.

I went for my third attempt at getting my first fill and after only 3 puncture holes, my doctor was able to give me my first fill!!!

While I had my doctor's full attention, I talked one-on-one with him about the insurance issue (of which he certainly knew nothing about at this point). He told me to please not stress about it and whatever I could do would be fine. He told me a PAYMENT PLAN would be acceptable and to just tell that mean insurance clerk how much I would be paying. I left with a large load off of my shoulders. Actually shed a few tears as he was telling me to please not stress over this problem. My doctor said it was so refreshing to see somebody concerned over paying him instead of just never paying and never worrying about it.

So, although I now have a new bill every month for a while, things are better. Thanks again for all of the comments. (I was beginning to feel like a pin cushion!!)

Have a great day.

Paula

Paulajm, so sorry to hear of the financial troubles and woes you're experiencing, I hope things work out for you, I was /am faced with a similar situation but thank God for "Synchrony Health" in Oak Brook, IL. they allowed me to have surgery and even owing alot more than 423.00 (thousands more) they are working with me and allowing me to make payments until my debt is cleared, (God-sent Angels) for real, I am so blessed and wish everyone could experience the expertise and professional care that I receive at Synchrony, Dr. Brad Watkins and his staff are simply "The best" "FREE" lifetime fills, now that's worth any money I owe, so again I pray things work out for you, and if you're thinking of looking elsewhere for care try Synchrony Health , they have various locations throughout the U.S. and you may just find your "Angels" as I have, good luck and keep striving towards your goal.

I'm not sure why the doctor didn't do the 1st fill with fluroscopy to begin with. That's what our doctors/hospitals do. I'm glad to hear you did get a good first fill and that they are going to work out the insurance snafu with you too.

Hi Special K...a lot of doctors don't do fills routinely under fluoro. I know my surgeon doesn't.

Paula I am so pleased that your doctor was so understanding and that you had a fill.