Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you have/ want implants do you have / will you get Silicone or Saline ?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you have/ want implants do you have / will you get Silicone or Saline ?

• Silicone
    • Saline
    • Not sure yet

Last week my best friend and I went to a Brest Augmentation Seminar given by a Plastic Surgeon I would really like to use for at least some of my PS .

I really learned a lot and was really impressed with the doc.

I REALLY Liked the doc, his personality , I already know someone who has used him and he's pretty well known in my area.

I learned some interesting things . I was on the fence between if i wanted Silicone or Saline before i went in and I am not sure i want silicone .

I am still about 35 pds from goal but Wanted to start looking around for PS's .

So Im glad i went over all ..

Thanks

Mindy

Edited by coltonwade

For anyone who answers if you dont mind telling me why you chose , or want the choice you made i would love that as well

thanks

Mindy

I haven't had my implants yet but there is still a lot of controversy between saline and silicone. My doctor is board certified and teaches at Stanford. He still doesn't do silicone, only saline. Probably because of all the hoopla in the 80s and 90s. I hear that Silicone is a lot more natural feeling however. Good luck with your decision.

Coltonwade: I just had augmentation and went with the silicone. They were placed behind the muscle and I'm very happy with them. I was worried about the silicone and almost backed out, but I'm glad I didn't. They look and feel real. My PS would do the saline, but he prefers the silicone. Said that the saline doesn't feel as real, that they make more noise and that they can spring leaks. Of course, the silicone ones can leak, too. He said that all implants should be looked at as parts that will probably have to be replaced. They don't last forever, though they can last a long time. He also said that if the silicone does leak it can easily be removed. I talked to my internist about it as well and he said that the implants are a big improvement and that the scare over silicone has not been proven scientifically. He also said that putting the implant behind the muscle made it easier to detect breast cancer. My internist encouraged me to go with the silicone also. Of course, I hope that I made the right choice and that they will last a long time. Only time will tell. As of now, I love them! I would like to know what you learned at your seminar.

Coltonwade: I just had augmentation and went with the silicone. They were placed behind the muscle and I'm very happy with them. I was worried about the silicone and almost backed out, but I'm glad I didn't. They look and feel real. My PS would do the saline, but he prefers the silicone. Said that the saline doesn't feel as real, that they make more noise and that they can spring leaks. Of course, the silicone ones can leak, too. He said that all implants should be looked at as parts that will probably have to be replaced. They don't last forever, though they can last a long time. He also said that if the silicone does leak it can easily be removed. I talked to my internist about it as well and he said that the implants are a big improvement and that the scare over silicone has not been proven scientifically. He also said that putting the implant behind the muscle made it easier to detect breast cancer. My internist encouraged me to go with the silicone also. Of course, I hope that I made the right choice and that they will last a long time. Only time will tell. As of now, I love them! I would like to know what you learned at your seminar.

What your doc said is basically what mine said with a little more "firmness" LOL He said silicone does feel and look more natural . He does do saline as well. He said that ( and I tend to agree with this ) that the FDA took the Silicone off the market for political reasons . I tend to agree, he said sure there were some people who had health issues , but not the HUGE amount that was reported. He also said the FDA does NOT put things BACK on the market if they are not safe! again i agree.

Also he said ALL Implants WILL need to be replaced. he did not beat around the bush on that. He said " go into implant surgery expecting 2 surgeries. That silicone or saline they WILL rupture and you WILL need to have them replaced. they will last 15-20 yrs .

this doc is board certified and highly trained . He also said putting it behind the muscle is better.

Im was a little surprised how many people were getting silicone now .

I thought at least 50 % of people got saline.

So i was curious. I def, think its a personal choice and you have to do what ever you think your comfortable with for sure.

thanks for your help

Mindy

Ditto to everything Kareyquilts said -- except that I don't have my implants yet, and I am so glad to hear how happy everyone is with theirs so far.

I will be getting my implants sometime soon and once I started looking into this issue, I decided very quickly that (for me) silicone is the only way to go. My friends who have silicone are very happy with them as well. However I agree with you Mindy, that it's is a very personal decision and you have to go with the product that you feel most comfortable having in your body.

Misty, thanks for the info on the Mentor implant!

As you know, silicone implants have been re-approved by teh FDA. Like most plastics surgeons, I had been using silicone implants all along for breast reconstruction and have had no problems. Any possible connection wiht cancer/lupus/arthrits/autoimmune disease has not been shown.

Yes, silicone implants look and feel better (more natural and no rippling). There are some disadvantages though:

1. Silicone implants are prefilled and require a larger incision to place them. For most of you needing a lift as well, this is not a concern.

2. Becasue they are prefilled in 25cc increments, it may be difficult to choose the correct size if you have some significant breast asymmetry. (unlike saline which are filled at the time of surgery and can be adjusted to coorect for discrepencies)

3. Because ruptures are difficult to detect, the FDA recommends MRI exam 2 years after implantation and then every 3 years. This is time consuming, and not covered by insurance unless a rupture is suspected beforehand.

In my practice, I am about 75% silicone and 25% saline for all cosmetic breast cases (including breast contouring after weight loss).

Talk to your surgeon and he/she should be able to list all the pros and cons of each implant type.

As you know, silicone implants have been re-approved by teh FDA. Like most plastics surgeons, I had been using silicone implants all along for breast reconstruction and have had no problems. Any possible connection wiht cancer/lupus/arthrits/autoimmune disease has not been shown.

Yes, silicone implants look and feel better (more natural and no rippling). There are some disadvantages though:

1. Silicone implants are prefilled and require a larger incision to place them. For most of you needing a lift as well, this is not a concern.

2. Becasue they are prefilled in 25cc increments, it may be difficult to choose the correct size if you have some significant breast asymmetry. (unlike saline which are filled at the time of surgery and can be adjusted to coorect for discrepencies)

3. Because ruptures are difficult to detect, the FDA recommends MRI exam 2 years after implantation and then every 3 years. This is time consuming, and not covered by insurance unless a rupture is suspected beforehand.

In my practice, I am about 75% silicone and 25% saline for all cosmetic breast cases (including breast contouring after weight loss).

Talk to your surgeon and he/she should be able to list all the pros and cons of each implant type.

Thank you Dr ... These were all things the doctor went over in the seminar . I am still suprised that the % of silicone is so high . I dont hear many people saying they have saline ?

Nearly everyone i know has or says they have saline . So i was suprised that the doc said 85 % of his is Silicone . But I do like the look and feel of silicone better. I never have believed the hype( from them being pulled off the market before ) over silicone and the so it was never a concern for me getting them .

Thanks for your input

Mindy

coltonwade,

Westlake Dermatology is having a breast enlargement special right now-- $4900!!!

I thought of you when I saw the commercial--and the hottie running down the beach in her bikini.

coltonwade,

Westlake Dermatology is having a breast enlargement special right now-- $4900!!!

I thought of you when I saw the commercial--and the hottie running down the beach in her bikini.

I have not checked into that doc. Plus its a Dermatology office not a plastic surgeons office .

I will check him out though not real confident in them

I DOUBT I'll be the chick in the bikini LOL

Mindy

Crap...I really don't think it was Westlake Dermatology...why the heck would they do a breast augmentation...I think I just typed that because it was familiar to me--I can't remember what the actual surgeon's office is called, but I do know it's in Westlake.

Regardless, I think you MAY just be the lady in the bikini someday soon!

Crap...I really don't think it was Westlake Dermatology...why the heck would they do a breast augmentation...I think I just typed that because it was familiar to me--I can't remember what the actual surgeon's office is called, but I do know it's in Westlake.

Regardless, I think you MAY just be the lady in the bikini someday soon!

Actually it IS Westlake Derm. I checked it out . I cant find ANYTHING about a doctor on that site, Cant find any doctors name on that site .

That's a little iffy to me.

But some day maybe with enough plastics i might be the chick in the bikini

I'd be terrified to get p.s. from a dermatologist. By the way, 20 more pounds and I will be that chick at the beach bouncing around with my new double "d"s! Check it out: My Mexico Plastic Surgery Journey!

Misty

I took a closer look its not just a derm office they do plastics as well.

But I'll stick with the guy im going to use.

Misty u look great !!!

Mindy