Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What a journey...

I was banded on February 5th, 2008. Pre Op surgery weight- 354lb. Current weight- 309lb. It's been interesting so far. I haven't had any problems with any food, other than one time- I tried to eat grilled grouper a little too fast and it got "hung". Extremely painful for about a minute. Nothing I want to ever repeat again. Other than that, I seem to be doing well. I still have over a 100 to loose, I'm aiming for goal weight of around 175-180. Anyone else out there still in good spirits? What kind of weight loss have you experienced so far? any tips for how to avoid cravings?

Great loss Jgunter83!

Hope your feeling better, the band lets us know what it doesn't want. You posted a goal of 175-180, which I am aiming for also.

Today I'm in a size 20 wool skirt...no more size 26/28 tents! Yes! Finally, friends are noticing the change after a 40 lb weight loss. Guess its difficult to tell when I was wearing baggy saggy stuff. The 24 hour fitness exercising is really making a difference, even though the scale is not moving. Being able to more freely, walk outdoors, break a sweat without gasping for air is invigorating.

You asked for tips to avoid cravings . . . drink your Water, Water, water; avoid white sugar/white flour/white rice highly processed foods with no nutritional value. Eat healthy fats (like olive oil) with your meals. Journal out your feelings when cravings hit, ask why? who? What? Where? And then meet your real emotional needs in a healthy, loving, self nurturing way.

peace in your journey.

Turtlewind47

I must say I feel more encouraged after reading your post. I have been sick the past week not exercised and I work at night so missery has set in the past couple of days. People are actually starting to notice I'm losing weight. It makes me excited and scarred all at the same time.

Hi

I'm still on mushies - banded on 2nd April 2008 - weighed yesterday blown away with 13kg/28lb loss. I'm feeling great, actually feel happy, bit of a novelty for me. You are going so well, you must be really proud of yourself... I've been reading the recipes in the forum to get some ideas for when I start real food again, though i can see lots of salmon and veges happening!! All the best with your journey - look forward to reading more

I was banded on February 5th, 2008. Pre Op surgery weight- 354lb. Current weight- 309lb. It's been interesting so far. I haven't had any problems with any food, other than one time- I tried to eat grilled grouper a little too fast and it got "hung". Extremely painful for about a minute. Nothing I want to ever repeat again. Other than that, I seem to be doing well. I still have over a 100 to loose, I'm aiming for goal weight of around 175-180. Anyone else out there still in good spirits? What kind of weight loss have you experienced so far? any tips for how to avoid cravings?

JGunter, sounds like you are doing great! Don't sell yourself short cos' you've made incredible progress in your journey so far! I'm in a similar situation as you, I started at 366 pre-op (12/25/07) and am down to 293 and am feeling Great!!! My surgeon requires us to do an extremely low low carb diet for maximum results, which believe it or not, really helps cut out most of your physical cravings for sugars and carbs (once your body gets used to not having them it forgets about them all together) but then there is still the head cravings to deal with, which I don't think ever truly go away, but I've found the best way to deal with them is to stop and look at my progress and success so far and really think about whether I want to jepordize the momentum I've got going right now...sometimes I do give in and tell myself that it is a treat for doing so well, but then I get right back on track and contiunue moving forward on this journey's path we are all on. I think that every once in a while you need to give yourself a reward, not necessarily food, but something that you really really want and treat yourself to it. I hope this helps some...keep on keeping on! And remember to remember that you are doing fabulous already! Much love, KKG

Great loss Jgunter83!

Hope your feeling better, the band lets us know what it doesn't want. You posted a goal of 175-180, which I am aiming for also.

Today I'm in a size 20 wool skirt...no more size 26/28 tents! Yes! Finally, friends are noticing the change after a 40 lb weight loss. Guess its difficult to tell when I was wearing baggy saggy stuff. The 24 hour fitness exercising is really making a difference, even though the scale is not moving. Being able to more freely, walk outdoors, break a sweat without gasping for air is invigorating.

You asked for tips to avoid cravings . . . drink your Water, Water, water; avoid white sugar/white flour/white rice highly processed foods with no nutritional value. Eat healthy fats (like olive oil) with your meals. Journal out your feelings when cravings hit, ask why? who? What? Where? And then meet your real emotional needs in a healthy, loving, self nurturing way.

peace in your journey.

Turtlewind47

Very well said TurtleWind and I agree 100% that journaling truly helps now and in the long run as well. Inspirational words! Thanks. KKG

JGunter, sounds like you are doing great! Don't sell yourself short cos' you've made incredible progress in your journey so far! I'm in a similar situation as you, I started at 366 pre-op (12/25/07) and am down to 293 and am feeling Great!!! My surgeon requires us to do an extremely low low carb diet for maximum results, which believe it or not, really helps cut out most of your physical cravings for sugars and carbs (once your body gets used to not having them it forgets about them all together) but then there is still the head cravings to deal with, which I don't think ever truly go away, but I've found the best way to deal with them is to stop and look at my progress and success so far and really think about whether I want to jepordize the momentum I've got going right now...sometimes I do give in and tell myself that it is a treat for doing so well, but then I get right back on track and contiunue moving forward on this journey's path we are all on. I think that every once in a while you need to give yourself a reward, not necessarily food, but something that you really really want and treat yourself to it. I hope this helps some...keep on keeping on! And remember to remember that you are doing fabulous already! Much love, KKG

Kelly-

Could you tell me what your typical day of eating entails. I have been really wanting to give up carbs but am not sure what to eat. I am stalling a bit and want to kick start the metabolism again. I am going to do the 5 Day Pouch Test to get things started but would be interested in your diet/menu.

Thanks,

Cindy

Kelly-

Could you tell me what your typical day of eating entails. I have been really wanting to give up carbs but am not sure what to eat. I am stalling a bit and want to kick start the metabolism again. I am going to do the 5 Day Pouch Test to get things started but would be interested in your diet/menu.

Thanks,

Cindy

Hey there Cindy, well I have to say that I've been having a few "off" weeks here lately and have not been very good....but I will give you an excerpt from my food journal from a week when I' was being a good girl...here it is:

Sunday 4/20/08

Breakfast – NONE

lunch – Ate at Wendy’s: Sante Fe chicken salad ate the chicken and cukes w/dressing: Total Carbs = 6 grams

dinner – Ate at Home: Lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, chick peas sunflower seeds, Caesar dressing: Total Carbs = 6 grams

Exercise: Treadmill 167/52.2 / 6.4/1.60 / 44:00 / 3.5 – 1.5 / 2.0 – 2.5

Feelings: Okay day; wishing I hadn’t screwed up so badly yesterday but making it right today!

Monday 4/21/08

Breakfast – NONE

Lunch – Ate at Home: Low carb tuna recipe: 2/3 cup of tuna w/8 butter crisps: Total Carbs = 11 grams

Dinner – Ate at Home: Low carb Tuna recipe: 2/3 cup of tuna w/8 butter crisps: Total Carbs = 11 grams

Exercise: NONE…too tired from cleaning and making beds and laundry!

Feelings: Good day, back on track w/eating…very tired from taking care of sickie and sleeping in guest bedroom!

Tuesday 4/22/08

Breakfast – NONE

Lunch – Ate at Subway: Chicken breast salad w/cheese, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, black olives, jalapeños, o/v, s/p, and ranch dressing (ate only ½): Total Carbs = 11 grams

Dinner – Ate at Home: Low carb Tuna recipe: 1 ½ cups of tuna w/12 butter crisps: Total Carbs = 18 grams

Exercise: Stat Bike: cals 710/ fat 221 / time 60:09 / miles 14.15 / speed 13 – 16

Feelings: Good day, not too hungry, back on track!!! Felt more in control of cravings today! Started period too.

Wednesday 4/23/08

Breakfast – NONE

Lunch – Ate at Chik-fil-a: SW Chrgrld Chik Salad (took out carrots & cabbage) (ate entire salad): Total Carbs = 10 grams

Dinner – NONE: made the decision to drink a Venti Breve Latte from Starbucks w/splenda: Total Carbs = 25 grams

Exercise: No formal - Walked around Target for 1 hour

Feelings: Good day except that I decided to drink my dinner and went over carb allowance, but it was a thought out decision so I’m not going to berate myself about it. Surprisingly I did not get hungry for the rest of the night!

Thursday 4/24/08

Breakfast – NONE

Lunch – Ate at Mc D’s: Sante Fe Chicken Salad – ate chicken breast w/ranch dressing: Total Carbs = 9 grams

Dinner – Ate at Home: cup of tuna and 5 crisps: Total Carbs = 10 grams

Exercise: Stat Bike: cals 360 / fat 112 / time 30:03 / miles 7.17 / speed 13 – 15 / played at park for 45 minutes with Hunter – basketball; running, walking and standing while dribbling

Feelings: Pretty good day, high energy! Felt great after playing at the park w/Hunter; doesn’t hurt to be on my feet for longer periods now.

Friday 4/25/08

Breakfast – NONE

Lunch – Ate at Chili’s: Marguerita Grilled Chicken Breast w/steamed broccoli, melted butter and ranch for dipping (ate about 1/2 of breast w/ranch) Total Carbs = 7 grams

Dinner – Ate at Home: cup of tuna and 5 crisps: Total Carbs = 10 grams

Exercise: Treadmill: 154/48.2 / 6.1/1.54 / 41:15 / 3.5-1.5 / 2.1

Feelings: Pretty good day, high energy! Felt great after playing at the park w/Hunter; doesn’t hurt to be on my feet for longer periods now.

Saturday 4/26/08

Breakfast – NONE

Lunch – Ate at Home: Rotisserie Chicken – ate from the breast meat dipped in horseradish sauce and sliced tomatoes on side: Total Carbs = 2 grams

Dinner – Ate at Home: Slices of Roast Beef from deli dipped in horseradish sauce and sliced tomatoes on the side: Total Carbs = 2 grams

Exercise: No formal – Walked around Wal-mart for about 1 hour

Feelings: Okay day, felt very tired and kinda achy all day.

Sunday 4/27/08

Breakfast – NONE

Lunch – Ate at Home: Slices of Roast Beef from deli dipped in horseradish sauce and sliced tomatoes on the side: Total Carbs = 2 grams

Dinner – Ate at Outback: Seared Ahi Tuna appetizer and side house salad w/ranch dressing: Total Carbs = 12 grams

Exercise: Stat Bike: cals 725 / fat 226 / time 60:40 / miles 14.47 / speed 13 – 15

Feelings: Good day, never very energetic, tired; late night no sleep. Tried on size 26/28 clothes and they all fit! Yea!

Hope this helps w/your decision to eat low carb. And like I said, even though your body stops craving carbs, your mind is still your WORST enemy on this journey and as I've proven to myself this past week, I have NOT gained control over this beast! Be well. KKG

If you eat Carbs, you must excersize afterwards...

If you want carbs, try healthy ones, like whole wheat. Whole wheat pasta's are great. Just make sure if you eat carbs to go out an excersize for about 30 minutes afterwards..walking, swimming whatever. carbs are meant to be eaten when your going to be doing some excersize.. they give your system an extra boost. So go ahead and have some in moderation, just make sure you go out and excersize!

Enjoy!

-k