Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I also have UHC and they are paying 100% with no copay. I am so happy and I have surgery on April 22nd. mama59:thumbup:

UHC was awesome for me as well! :thumbs_up:Covered all with a letter from my primary Care DR about my weight loss attempt history. It took some concinving for the buisness office at the clinic to understand that they could submit paperwork without all the rigamaroll that BCBS askes for...like the 5 yr history, physc evelas, dietician stuff etc. The local bariatric center required all these things as weel, & UHC didn't cover it all, so I found a GREAT surgeon who didn't require all these things as well. SO it all worked quick & fast!

mnilene

weight.png

Does anyone know what UHC considers comorbidities? My UHC said they will cover me with a BMI of 35 and 2 comorbidities. However, they won't tell me what they are becauase they said then doctors would be listing them all the time for patients.

I have a BMI of 35 and have asthma, osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease, stress incontinence, GERD, and hiatal hernia

Thanks,

Melissa

I have united healthcare and they are covering the entire process but about $200.00. I do not have any underlying health conditions so I didn't know if I was going to get approved. I did have a BMI of over 40 so I didn't have to have any underlying health conditions to be considered. I did not have to do the 6 month diet before I was considered. The entire process took about a month. I will be banded on May 12th and can't wait. Hope this helps a little and good luck to you!!!!

high blood pressure...high cholesterol...diabeties....sleep apnea....those are probably the most common

i had high blood pressure and take something for depression...however my bmi was over 40 so i'm not sure that really played a part but they asked alot of questions about the depression.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. I have UHC and I'm required to do a 6 month medically supervised diet and a psych evaluation now. They denied me in 2006 because of a exclusion in my policy. I'm glad that it is covered now, so I am beginning my weight loss journey yet again.

Thanks everyone for your input I went last friday and had my consultation. I have a bmi of 51. I was put on a strict diet of Protein Drinks one salad a day and Water for 30 days when I return my surgery will be scheduled, oh and gave up smokling that is killing me, but they said there will be no problems with my uhc so that was great news

My BMI is approx. 41 and my doctor (Dr. Spiegel-Houston, TX) stated that I would not need a pre-op diet.

Well here it is a couple hours after my last post and now uhc will not cover any part of this. I have my dr.s office, me and my human resourcethis is about my luck...

dmu, thats what im thinking cause if you have to be 40 and above without comorbities and they make me do the diet i wont qaulify anymore.... im about 41 (BMI) as well....

I guess I have been lucky with UHC, based on the responses above. My BMI was high enough--Also I have high blood pressure & high cholesterol & heart disease/death on both sides of my family. I was surprised that they did not require me to go to a dietician, or go on a special diet. I think the family history made it easier for them to approve it. I am now scheduled to have the surgery on May 5. WOW!!

dmu, thats what im thinking cause if you have to be 40 and above without comorbities and they make me do the diet i wont qaulify anymore.... im about 41 (BMI) as well....

The surgeon's office should submit your pre-diet weight diet. That's how it's usually works.