Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, Everyone....I think I'll be the contrarian voice here...

"I'm sorry but after reading all of your posts and responses to people. I'm going to have to call bullshit too. If this really did happen to you (which at this point I highly doubt it did) I'm sorry that you are going through this. And if I am correct in my feelings/instincts (as other people are feeling as well) SHAME on you for posting such total and under CRAP on a forum like this.

Oh, and I want to see this port sticking out of your belly in a picture - because you can bet your butt that if that happened to 98% of the Lap Band public they would be photographing that like mad. So go on, show us."

Actually, I DO have that photo. The client I was visiting at the time accompanied me to the hospital, and took the photos. I'm glad he was there, he's a lawyer. I would not have thought to bring a camera. I will find that photo, and I'll be happy to post it here. It won't be any time in the next 24 hours. You need to understand that this entire idea of "going public" on this issue has only surfaced VERY recently. I don't even know exactly where the photo is, but I have recognized that i will need it for any lawsuit that might come out of this. I do know that I burned it onto a CD, AND it is also one of of my Hard drives.

I am simply stunned that you people think i'm here to sell you something or play some kind of stupid game. This has been MY experience, it is not the FIRST time it has happened to someone, and people need to know the potential going in.

Hi, I am sorry you are having so many complications with the Lap Band. I am praying for you that all things work out well. Be blessed and know that God is with you.

Think what you wish. It is not you I am addressing.

Please provide details of your journey, doctor's name, hospital, when you had it installed, and details of every complication, otherwise, it's pretty much impossible for us to picture this as an actual event and I'm not trying to be rude, I'm being honest, when I try to picture a port popping out of your stomach, your skin would have to rupture and why would that happen? and how? complications with the lap band are real, but I don't think it's possible for a port to just pop out through the skin, or maybe I'm the one who is not understanding you...? I apologize then, but I do think that if you can provide all the details, we could understand. Good luck

I realize that you are "addressing" this to people not yet banded, however they also might not have enough info yet about the band in general, but they read your post and you scare them shitless.

The problem I see is that you say you don;t have time to answer our questions, but you answer other things.

One question I asked ( and you havent' answered) is If your problem is "life threating" then why is surgery being postponed or is able to wait until May 7th.

How long have you had your band? When did the problems start? What diagnostic testing did you have? You say this will be the Fourth surgery you are having, what were the other three and why wasn't the band removed in a previous surgery?

If you are going to make a post like this you should expect that people will want more specific information.

I am not in complication Lap Band denial. I am sure there are complications to any type of WLS surgery. To some it may be minor and others extreme complications. Who are we to say that this man is lying or have a motive? If he is lying , oh well, life goes on. I admit if I would have read this I probably would have had seconds thoughts about being banded on Monday. If not, we need to support him like we do everyone else. I will not accuse this person without facts.

Edited by LLPlady3

By far and large the people on this forum are not mean. When one of us .... meaning bandsters in general....have a problem, we support that person.

There are exceptions.....people who come here, and begin spouting rudeness are not tolerated. You did not do that. You were met with understanding and support, and even said you were somewhat surprised by the early responses.

Then you began talking like you had secret answers, that you knew something the rest of us didn't. Claiming to want to open pre-bandsters eyes to the possible problems. Most people researching the band, that come far enough to find our site, have a pretty good understanding of what can and might go wrong. Most reputable Dr.'s will also inform us of that.

Yes some posters have accused you of spouting BS---but that is the worst of what has been said to you. There have been hints of you being a snake oil salesman. But all in all, no one has been horrid to you.

You say you have no time, yet you come back and give snippet answers, but really no answers to direct questions. This is your perogative, but if you want to be found believable, you are going to have to answer the hard questions!

Lawyers are involved, and you don't have ready copies of that picture? Uh uh! I know my attorney would have multiples locked away!!! And the surgery would be being done, and when the settlement come in, he would take his share then....

If this is the case, it truly sounds to me as though you need a reputable attorney and an experienced Dr. to take over your case, regardless how many fingers are already in the pie.

Overall with this site, you are going to get what you give. You give support, you will get it. You give attitude, you will get it.

You give us half assed answers---you are going to get half assed belief, and you are.....YOU are the one who can change that.

Kat

Ok, some of these more recent comments are more of the type that I actually expected to get! LOL!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

To those of you who have offered your good wishes and prayers, I thank you...it means a lot. This is a kind of an ugly time for me and my family.<o:p></o:p>

For the others here that question my motives for being here, well, there's not a lot I can say. It is what it is. My experience is simply MY experience.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I would, however, like to address a few of the more caustic remarks. I’m not going to address everything here and now. Remember, I’m here now just to introduce myself and my story. I’m surprised that this has taken off like it has.<o:p></o:p>

First, some of you have zeroed in on my “Target Audience” comment. Have you never heard anyone use that expression before? It is a generic comment meant to indicate the class of people I am trying to address. Not a “show biz” or advertising expression. I am a little surprised that some of you have singled that out as a possible indicator of my motives. It’s just an expression.<o:p></o:p>

One other thing that some of you have glommed onto is a comment I made about Milk shakes and Mashed Potatoes, etc. I’ll quote myself:<o:p></o:p>

You can't chug down a piece of steak easily, but you CAN shove down a few chocolate shakes, mashed potatoes, ice cream, and all sorts of other things pretty darn easily, even AFTER your maximum fills”<o:p></o:p>

Some of you apparently took that to mean that THAT is what I DID. That is NOT the case. I simply stated that I realized early on that it was POSSIBLE to bypass the system. People need to realize that going in. I was NOT counseled in that way. Some of you have been, some of you (I’ll bet) were not. But I did NOT behave in that manner. I had committed myself to the surgery AND the process. It also shows me that some of you are NOT reading my comments; you are reading what you WANT to read INTO them. You’ve had the surgery, and you want to justify your decision in doing so, and you are attempting to do so by defaming my comments. You don’t HAVE to do that. I’m not saying YOU made a WRONG decision. I’m saying that I made the wrong decision for ME. I am simply presenting the results so that others that are preparing to make THEIR decision can have the benefit of my experience. Or perhaps you think that the only information they should have is POSTIVE outcomes?<o:p></o:p>

I have to believe that you are exaggerating a bit on some of your issues. I mean DID your port really POP out of your skin???”<o:p></o:p>

Yes. It did. And why would I exaggerate this? Again, there are details to this that I simply have not had time to articulate. In the weeks prior to the Port Popping out, it was clearly working it’s way to the surface. It was not entirely without warning. This is part of where the lawsuit comes in: the Hospital’s refusal to act on this impending problem. I did NOT, however, expect it to exit my body the way it did, or when it did. <o:p></o:p>

Again: to those here who have MADE the choice and HAVE HAD the LB installed;<o:p></o:p>

My Motives: Think about it, people. What do I have to gain by taking the time to post all of this stuff publicly? A Book deal? Hardly. Who would buy a book about a Procedure gone wrong? Not me. Talk Shows? Ok, let’s say I did 5 of the biggest talk shows. And let’s say they paid for everything (flight, hotel,…not all of them do). What would I earn from all of that? Maybe $10,000? I would lose more than THAT by taking the time off from my business to go be on the talk shows. And “15 Minutes of fame” that someone mentioned? Oh yeah….THAT’s what I want to be famous for. Lap Band Surgery Gone Wrong. <o:p></o:p>

Sorry, folks. I have nothing to sell you. I have no interest in being known nationally as the “guy who had WLS that failed”.<o:p></o:p>

And so many of you seem to TOTALLY miss the points I am trying to make:<o:p></o:p>

Weight Loss Surgery CAN and DOES work, but it is NOT RISK FREE.<o:p></o:p>

It is SURGERY and has potential Complications….it is NOT for everyone.<o:p></o:p>

I had a BAD experience. You MAY or MAY NOT have something similar.<o:p></o:p>

Obesity does NOT happen because you were born without a plastic noose stitched to the top of your stomach. It happens because you eat TOO much of the WRONG STUFF. <o:p></o:p>

I’m not saying DON’T have the surgery…..I’m saying Think TWICE, and TRY HARDER. Look at the alternatives in eating. I know, I know, you’ve tried all the diets. They don’t work. And it’s true…they don’t work. If you want an Eye Opener, get a hold of Tony Robbins “Living Health” series. It’ll change your life. Read “Fast food Nation”. <o:p></o:p>

But DON’T MAKE THE CHOICE WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT ALL THE POTENTIAL CONSEQUENCES.<o:p></o:p>

This is NOT a Botox injection, people! This is a guy (or girl) going INTO your Body with cameras and scalpels and sewing a piece of plastic onto your stomach….ect,etc,etc.<o:p></o:p>

That’s all for now……<o:p></o:p>

"I'm sorry but after reading all of your posts and responses to people. I'm going to have to call bullshit too. If this really did happen to you (which at this point I highly doubt it did) I'm sorry that you are going through this. And if I am correct in my feelings/instincts (as other people are feeling as well) SHAME on you for posting such total and under CRAP on a forum like this.

Oh, and I want to see this port sticking out of your belly in a picture - because you can bet your butt that if that happened to 98% of the Lap Band public they would be photographing that like mad. So go on, show us."

Actually, I DO have that photo. The client I was visiting at the time accompanied me to the hospital, and took the photos. I'm glad he was there, he's a lawyer. I would not have thought to bring a camera. I will find that photo, and I'll be happy to post it here. It won't be any time in the next 24 hours. You need to understand that this entire idea of "going public" on this issue has only surfaced VERY recently. I don't even know exactly where the photo is, but I have recognized that i will need it for any lawsuit that might come out of this. I do know that I burned it onto a CD, AND it is also one of of my Hard drives.

Excellent when you manage to dig it out of whatever computer recess you have forgotten you put it in - I look forward to you posting it (along with the name of your surgeon and facility that you had the surgery in).

By far and large the people on this forum are not mean. When one of us .... meaning bandsters in general....have a problem, we support that person.

There are exceptions.....people who come here, and begin spouting rudeness are not tolerated. You did not do that. You were met with understanding and support, and even said you were somewhat surprised by the early responses.

Then you began talking like you had secret answers, that you knew something the rest of us didn't. Claiming to want to open pre-bandsters eyes to the possible problems. Most people researching the band, that come far enough to find our site, have a pretty good understanding of what can and might go wrong. Most reputable Dr.'s will also inform us of that.

Yes some posters have accused you of spouting BS---but that is the worst of what has been said to you. There have been hints of you being a snake oil salesman. But all in all, no one has been horrid to you.

You say you have no time, yet you come back and give snippet answers, but really no answers to direct questions. This is your perogative, but if you want to be found believable, you are going to have to answer the hard questions!

Lawyers are involved, and you don't have ready copies of that picture? Uh uh! I know my attorney would have multiples locked away!!! And the surgery would be being done, and when the settlement come in, he would take his share then....

If this is the case, it truly sounds to me as though you need a reputable attorney and an experienced Dr. to take over your case, regardless how many fingers are already in the pie.

Overall with this site, you are going to get what you give. You give support, you will get it. You give attitude, you will get it.

You give us half assed answers---you are going to get half assed belief, and you are.....YOU are the one who can change that.

Kat

And quoted for truth Kat because you say it so well and this is where my skepticism comes out.

Ok, some of these more recent comments are more of the type that I actually expected to get! LOL!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

To those of you who have offered your good wishes and prayers, I thank you...it means a lot. This is a kind of an ugly time for me and my family.<o:p></o:p>

For the others here that question my motives for being here, well, there's not a lot I can say. It is what it is. My experience is simply MY experience.<o:p></o:p>

I would, however, like to address a few of the more caustic remarks. I’m not going to address everything here and now. Remember, I’m here now just to introduce myself and my story. I’m surprised that this has taken off like it has.<o:p></o:p>

First, some of you have zeroed in on my “Target Audience” comment. Have you never heard anyone use that expression before? It is a generic comment meant to indicate the class of people I am trying to address. Not a “show biz” or advertising expression. I am a little surprised that some of you have singled that out as a possible indicator of my motives. It’s just an expression.<o:p></o:p>

One other thing that some of you have glommed onto is a comment I made about Milk shakes and Mashed Potatoes, etc. I’ll quote myself:<o:p></o:p>

You can't chug down a piece of steak easily, but you CAN shove down a few chocolate shakes, mashed potatoes, ice cream, and all sorts of other things pretty darn easily, even AFTER your maximum fills”<o:p></o:p>

Some of you apparently took that to mean that THAT is what I DID. That is NOT the case. I simply stated that I realized early on that it was POSSIBLE to bypass the system. People need to realize that going in. I was NOT counseled in that way. Some of you have been, some of you (I’ll bet) were not. But I did NOT behave in that manner. I had committed myself to the surgery AND the process. It also shows me that some of you are NOT reading my comments; you are reading what you WANT to read INTO them. You’ve had the surgery, and you want to justify your decision in doing so, and you are attempting to do so by defaming my comments. You don’t HAVE to do that. I’m not saying YOU made a WRONG decision. I’m saying that I made the wrong decision for ME. I am simply presenting the results so that others that are preparing to make THEIR decision can have the benefit of my experience. Or perhaps you think that the only information they should have is POSTIVE outcomes?<o:p></o:p>

I have to believe that you are exaggerating a bit on some of your issues. I mean DID your port really POP out of your skin???”<o:p></o:p>

Yes. It did. And why would I exaggerate this? Again, there are details to this that I simply have not had time to articulate. In the weeks prior to the Port Popping out, it was clearly working it’s way to the surface. It was not entirely without warning. This is part of where the lawsuit comes in: the Hospital’s refusal to act on this impending problem. I did NOT, however, expect it to exit my body the way it did, or when it did. <o:p></o:p>

Again: to those here who have MADE the choice and HAVE HAD the LB installed;<o:p></o:p>

My Motives: Think about it, people. What do I have to gain by taking the time to post all of this stuff publicly? A Book deal? Hardly. Who would buy a book about a Procedure gone wrong? Not me. Talk Shows? Ok, let’s say I did 5 of the biggest talk shows. And let’s say they paid for everything (flight, hotel,…not all of them do). What would I earn from all of that? Maybe $10,000? I would lose more than THAT by taking the time off from my business to go be on the talk shows. And “15 Minutes of fame” that someone mentioned? Oh yeah….THAT’s what I want to be famous for. Lap Band Surgery Gone Wrong. <o:p></o:p>

Sorry, folks. I have nothing to sell you. I have no interest in being known nationally as the “guy who had WLS that failed”.<o:p></o:p>

And so many of you seem to TOTALLY miss the points I am trying to make:<o:p></o:p>

Weight Loss Surgery CAN and DOES work, but it is NOT RISK FREE.<o:p></o:p>

It is SURGERY and has potential Complications….it is NOT for everyone.<o:p></o:p>

I had a BAD experience. You MAY or MAY NOT have something similar.<o:p></o:p>

Obesity does NOT happen because you were born without a plastic noose stitched to the top of your stomach. It happens because you eat TOO much of the WRONG STUFF. <o:p></o:p>

I’m not saying DON’T have the surgery…..I’m saying Think TWICE, and TRY HARDER. Look at the alternatives in eating. I know, I know, you’ve tried all the diets. They don’t work. And it’s true…they don’t work. If you want an Eye Opener, get a hold of Tony Robbins “Living Health” series. It’ll change your life. Read “Fast food Nation”. <o:p></o:p>

But DON’T MAKE THE CHOICE WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT ALL THE POTENTIAL CONSEQUENCES.<o:p></o:p>

This is NOT a Botox injection, people! This is a guy (or girl) going INTO your Body with cameras and scalpels and sewing a piece of plastic onto your stomach….ect,etc,etc.<o:p></o:p>

That’s all for now……<o:p></o:p>

Well, I'm trying to understand your ordeal, could you give us details of everything? did your skin rupture when the port popped out? I'm trying to picture it and it's hard to imagine it, but I'm not saying that I don't believe you, but I just would like more information and details, unless we have details we really can't benefit from your story and you stated that's what you wanted to accomplish, I already have the band so at this point I can't do any homework about the lap-band, but if you tell me exactly how your complications developed, then I could try to avoid that path and then I could benefit from your story, I'm sorry, but until we know all the details this post does more harm than help to others unfortunately.

I am curious, I have known two people who were involved in very serious medical lawsuits. Both of them were advised by their attorneys to not discuss the suit or disclose any evidence or other information to anyone outside of the courtroom. To do so, could put the whole case at risk. Yet, you seem to have no problem discussing it here, posting pictures, etc.?

I am curious, I have known two people who were involved in very serious medical lawsuits. Both of them were advised by their attorneys to not discuss the suit or disclose any evidence or other information to anyone outside of the courtroom. To do so, could put the whole case at risk. Yet, you seem to have no problem discussing it here, posting pictures, etc.?

Thank you, Susan, a good question. People here are hounding me for details on the Hospital, the Surgeon, the Date, photos, etc. What you describe is WHY i'm not more forthcoming with the details. BUT...imagine what people would say here if I said "well, i can't say anything because my attorney advised me not to". I think most of them would come back and say I'm even more full of BS than they already have.

As I have stated on this forum, this is a RECENT decision to go "public" with this, and file a lawsuit. I don't even have a firm deal with an attorney yet....several want to take it, but I am waiting for my Cousin (who is an Attorney) to return from a vacation to Morocco to help me decide who to go with(she is not a Malpractice attorney). Everyone I have spoken with has claimed it's a "slam-dunk". There was negligience in the way the hospital responded to the problems, and there MAY be negligience in the way the surgery was conducted. THAT will be known when I am "dissected" the my new surgeon.

I have opted to post the photos (when i find them) because I can remove my face from the picture. I think in a few of them, it's just a close up without my face. I do not think that would create an issue with any legal action.

Again, I'm sorry that I do not have all my "ducks in a row" for you all to dissect, but this is a very recent decision I have made, prompted by my upcoming surgery.

Ok, I'm going to go home right now (I'm at my office) and later I will attempt to answer some of the other questions that were presented here.

Kat, you're the best!

And I still didn't get my questions answered!

I think it's important to say that I'd like to believe the OP, but totally not enough info for me!

Oh, but I do have the name of two new books to read. If reading books about health, diets, weigh loss, worked ( I have a shelf of them) then I wouldn't have needed a band either.

He might be directing this to people not yet banded, but has he considered that the ones of us that are banded would like to know exactly what happened. Is he not worried about warning us already banded what to watch for?

"One question I asked ( and you havent' answered) is If your problem is "life threating" then why is surgery being postponed or is able to wait until May 7th.

"

Shortgal, I DID answer that question....I think it's on page three....