Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flying, Weight and Discrimination...

Jet Blue has larger seats, too. I know they had some problems last year about long wait times on the runway, but when we flew it was almost comfortable and AND I got to watch TV !

Snuffy: Where in the law does it say everyone must be a size 16 or smaller. Airline sell tickets for profit. Being 114 lbs over your goal indicates to me that you don't travel very much. Well I do, and I assure you that I have as much right to be comfortable as a size 16. If they charge me more for the seat so be it, but for me to buy 2 seats is dead wrong. Two seats are uncomfortable and as you stated the arm cannot be raised by law. Also, I have had the unfortunate experience wherein I did buy two seats and the airline was overbooked so bumped my second seat and I could not do sweet diddly squat about it. So for me it should be mandatory that the airlines do not discriminate against fat people the same as any other visible minority. Doddie

Except its the attendants job to look out for a trouble BEFORE they get on the plane. Everything takes longer and harder to fix when your on the plane playing musical chairs with seats.

Is it wrong to ask me if I won't be able to sit in a regular seat with my cast? Is it wrong to ask a man in a wheel chair if he needs to be in a front seat? Is it wrong to tell that person with 300lb carry on that she will have to check it in.

Obesity is like any other handicap, and when you complain that a service is acknowledging that handicap then you are only embarrassing yourself.

Some obese people need to get off their "oh poor me, don't talk about my weight" mentality and maybe they will be confident enough to fix their disability. Wish a blind man or quadriplegic had that choice.

First of all, obesity is not like any other handicap- handicaps are not alike- they all have different needs and don't just fit into one category of disability. My mother is handicapped and is in a wheelchair. Is it fair to ask her to pay a higher price for a handicap seat at a sports game? No! That's called discrimination! When we go see a movie and her walker takes up space to the side of her... well, I can just imagine what you might say in this situation.

I don't think that obese people and their mentality is what is keeping them from fixing their problem... some people will never understand what it's like to be truly obese and have little control. There's a difference in talking about weight control in general and talking to a person specifically about a person's weight problem. I wouldn't go up to a smoker and tell them their addiction is impairing my ability to breathe. I don't think the issue about speaking to an obese person should be lumped into the category of a handicap- I think it should be lumped into a category of common courtesy and basic human respect. We have gotten so rude in our society, it's accepted to say whatever you want to whoever you want.

MacMadame- here here to your comments... I completely agree.

Until airlines come up with specific written policies that are available to the public, there is no excuse for this type of behavior. If they don't want large people flying their planes, they should come up with policies prior to someone buying a ticket explaining size issues. I'd rather deal with their issues before paying them money...

It's like the woman here in Texas that had a nipple ring. In order to get past airport security they made her take it out. Well, now she's suing. They had a written policy that was available on their website stating if you have piercings, you may be asked to remove them. To her I say tough tooshy- the company was forward with what their policy is. Airlines aren't doing this for obese passengers. Say it before hand! They won't because they know once it's published people will be all on them for discrimination or what not. Instead they attempt to get around actual public outcry by humiliating people one by one.

I'm all for airlines cutting costs, the price of fuel is ridiculous and costs are outrageous. But airline execs will always cut customer experience and lower level employee salaries before cutting their own pension/perks. United Airlines cut 1/3 of lower level pensions yet INCREASED their executives salaries that same year. Seems like there might be some monetary space for an obese person to also have a comfortable flight.

It's like the woman here in Texas that had a nipple ring. In order to get past airport security they made her take it out. Well, now she's suing. They had a written policy that was available on their website stating if you have piercings, you may be asked to remove them. To her I say tough tooshy- the company was forward with what their policy is. Airlines aren't doing this for obese passengers. Say it before hand! They won't because they know once it's published people will be all on them for discrimination or what not. Instead they attempt to get around actual public outcry by humiliating people one by one.

It's published. Here's a link:

Southwest Airlines Travel Policies - Guidelines for Customers of Size

I stand corrected... That's new, though. The last time I looked (several years ago when I was in college) there was nothing ever stated online. I should have looked before I spoke. Thank you.

I've seen that Airline show and SW does call people over to tell them that they need to buy another ticket if they're considered a POS. Do they wait until you're to sit down to see if the arm rests go down or do they do a "look-see" and make a judgment for themselves before you board?

Anyone know?

Snuffy: Where in the law does it say everyone must be a size 16 or smaller. Airline sell tickets for profit. Being 114 lbs over your goal indicates to me that you don't travel very much. Well I do, and I assure you that I have as much right to be comfortable as a size 16. If they charge me more for the seat so be it, but for me to buy 2 seats is dead wrong. Two seats are uncomfortable and as you stated the arm cannot be raised by law. Also, I have had the unfortunate experience wherein I did buy two seats and the airline was overbooked so bumped my second seat and I could not do sweet diddly squat about it. So for me it should be mandatory that the airlines do not discriminate against fat people the same as any other visible minority. Doddie

Where in the law does it say airlines need to seat you?

And you don't know me! I travel 10-12 times year for business alone. I am lucky enough to not be shaped to have spill over but I get looks. And you got your money back for the second seat when you lossed it. Airlines over book, but again its to squeak as much cash as they can out of the system they are limited to.

I don't want to hear about rights you THINK you have.

This is what you have a right to:

To a 16" seat just like everyone else

Buy a larger seat if you can afford it

Make the insurance payment to reserve your seat for some arilines

Only book with airlines you can be guarantee the seat you want.

If you don't want to do that then fine, but do;t hold up my plane because you can't do any planning or cannot buy a ticket unless its through priceline then bitch about not getting the seat you want. Don't fly at all. My god there are plenty of airlines out there that have bigger seats. But of course, your special and want EVERY airline to be the same. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take my tight seat and my $150 plane ticket.

The only discrimination going on here is discriminating against the airlines. Because its so easy since everyone hates them anyways. Hmmmm, wonder if thats the same reasoning obese people are discriminated against?

Edited by snuffy65

The last time I flew home from my DD's in Hawaii, there was a family, all sitting in different areas of the plane. I ended up with the small boy about 7 or 8 I'd guess sitting next to me---in the middle seat. Now I love kids, I ran a day care for lots of years, and thought I was a patient person. I talked to this little boy for a few minutes, and then his Mom come by, give me a dirty look for chatting with him, and she handed him a hand held game. One he was not very good at. For hours on end, I listened to the tinkly music of that game as he started over, and started over, and started over. The only break---when he would use my shins to leverage himself out of the seat, and climb over the man in the aisle seat, and go ask Mom how much longer!!!

After the first 3 hours of the music (?) coming from the game, I thought of somewhere I could put that damn game.....but he would have just wiggled and squiggled under the arm rest and taken up space I needed!!!!

I ALWAYS have earplugs in my purse if I fly now.........

It is kind of interesting that the arm rest must stay down even if you pay for the 2 seats.....I had never thought of that!!!

Kat

I've seen that Airline show and SW does call people over to tell them that they need to buy another ticket if they're considered a POS. Do they wait until you're to sit down to see if the arm rests go down or do they do a "look-see" and make a judgment for themselves before you board?

Anyone know?

Basically, in this situation as with handicap people, and people with larger then normal carry-ons they do a quick once over for any of these things. Its alot easier to handle it before they get on the plane then after. If somone stopped me I wouldn't mind at all. I would politely say "I've flown before and had no problem with belts or armests". I have no shame in how big I am. If I'm questioned about it I answer. Just like any other person in a unique position.

It is kind of interesting that the arm rest must stay down even if you pay for the 2 seats.....I had never thought of that!!!

I always put up the armrests when I fly and am seated with family. No one has ever tried to stop me and I've seen lots of people do it.

So I'm wondering about this "law" and somewhat doubtful that it actually exists.

I fly quite a bit. In my experiences so far:

The armrest only has to be down for the takeoff and landing

Every airline that I've flown with has their POS rule stated on their website; you just have to look for it

Southwest enforces their two seat rule only if they feel you will "spill over" into your seatmate's space (and I'd rather they say something to me before I get on the plane)

Seatguru.com offers seat dimensions, legroom, and seat plans of every plane made, it's a good way to choose your seat.

If you book online, you can almost always book your seat when you make your reservation.

When the two-seat rule first came out, I was horrified. But now, I'm a lot more sympathetic. I hate the look in peoples' eyes when they realize they are stuck sitting next to me. I hate sitting wrapped up on myself for hours like a human pretzel. (I do buy two seats as often as I can afford it because I want to be comfortable) But I love to travel.

Flying is never going to be fun. Even when we all reach our goal weight, it's still going to be cramped and noisy. You're going to breathe stale, recycled air; listen to crying babies and noisy kids. The person in the seat next to you is going to want to talk, or have on too much perfume. When you get up. you'll get thumped in the head by someone's carryon. (Please people, a carryon is not a week's worth of luggage!) You can hate the airline, you can howl about "customer service", but ultimately you either roll with it, or you take the train.

Kind of depends. I flew with my husband, in-laws and parents a few months ago. My parents had planned to sit one of them with my husband and I, and one of them with my in-laws, so that they could have the space we weren't using. They knew they would be imposing on a stranger. Well, it didn't work out that way, and they ended up taking the emergency exit seats. No one said anything to them before the flight, even though they were at the gate nearly 4 hours early and clearly wuld not fit in the seats. No one said anything to them when they boarded or sat. Once the plane was loaded, my mother asked for a seatbelt extender and was told, "Well if your seatbelt won't fit you, you can't sit in the exit aisle." My dad wears a mens' 50 pant, and my mom is probably a 5x. It's *obvious* looking at them that the seatbelt won't fit them.

Funny thing is, my husband overheard the stewards talking about my parents, and told me they were going to have to move before they actually did. Apparently one of them said something about "the really fat lady in the Eeyore suit and the guy with her" (my mom had on a purplish gray track suit).

My parents didn't have to buy additional tickets, but they were called out on a fully loaded plane, the stewards asked for volunteers to sit next to them, and they were made to move/rearrange their seats before we could taxi.

One other time there was a very large man on the right side of the plane, and they asked for volunteers to move to the left side to balance his weight out (yes, they said that). He & my parents are the only ones I've seen called out once actually boarded, but I've seen people addressed a handful of times at ticketing.

I don't know about the armrest down thing, 90% of the flights I am on are pretty empty, so I get a whole row to myself and I keep the armrests up and normally lounge across all 3 seats. Never been told I couldn't do that, I just have to be seated & buckled for take off/landing.

When flying with family and we're sitting together, we always put the armrest up too, again never been told we couldn't.

Snuffy: Well, well, are we the most self righteous individual. "my body fits the seats" so what is YOUR problem. Well I tend to think of others besides myself. And who said I got my money back? Seems to me you have a very close connection to airlines to be so supportive of a very mean spirited policies. Airlines intend to pack people in like cattle and there is no other intent in their agenda. The fat person is the last group of people that can be opening discriminated against with out reprecussion from the law. Your sad support of them is a classic example of abuse that all overweight people suffer through.

Ugh, you guys are killing me here. We are flying out to Vegas this weekend. I have never been on a plane in my life, so that has me terrified enough as it is. Next, I am terrified of possibly needing a belt extender. And, add to that that I am now running around all the offices at work, measuring chairs and sitting in them to see if my fat butt will fit into a 16" or 19" space without spilling over so I don't have to buy an extra seat, which I cannot afford. (yes, we are going to Vegas, but it is an all expense paid trip by GM).

I am now contemplating leaving work early so I can get home, see who our flight is booked with, go online to get their seat sizes and once again commence to measuring chairs and my booty. :rolleyes2::smile2: