Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

... Afraid that once they're thin, they'll be invisible???

Sounds like a shrink might be needed,huh?

I just feel like being the "fat,funny girl" is so much a part of my identity, and I never realized it until now. Does/Did anyone else feel like this??? :confused2:

I think we all have our own issues, and mine is just the opposite of yours. I feel invisible now. So much so, that I don't get out as much as I used to when I was not so heavy. I believe that society prefers that larger people be invisible. It's pretty obvious when I go to Target and the plus size clothing section is tiny and crammed into the corner. Frankly, I'm SICK of being treated like a non-person and that is one of the many reasons I cannot WAIT for my lap band.

I totally agree with you. That's why I was so surprised when I started to panic about getting thin!

And Target is HORRENDOUS about the plus size clothing thing, aren't they?!

... Afraid that once they're thin, they'll be invisible???

Sounds like a shrink might be needed,huh?

I just feel like being the "fat,funny girl" is so much a part of my identity, and I never realized it until now. Does/Did anyone else feel like this??? :confused2:

Hey Applebottom, I'm Appletop. You just keep that funny personality throughout your weight loss process and after. (you might just need it)

Good luck. Do you have a date yet?

haha. I'll try to keep it up!

I don't have a date yet, I just called today and made my first pre-op appointment with the surgeon! I meet with him in two weeks,and am so unbelievably excited! It's becoming so real!

How far along are you in your journey? Any advice for a potential bander?

haha. I'll try to keep it up!

I don't have a date yet, I just called today and made my first pre-op appointment with the surgeon! I meet with him in two weeks,and am so unbelievably excited! It's becoming so real!

How far along are you in your journey? Any advice for a potential bander?

I don't have a lot of advice since I am in the early stages and not banded yet. I have one more surgeon visit (had to do a six mo. medically supervised diet) and then my paperwork goes into BCBS for approval. I cannot do surgery until mid-June or July. We farm and don't want to do it during planting season. Want to wait until I don't have to worry about lifting,etc.

I guess the only advice I can give is to be patient and follow up on everything you are asked to do. It's not a bad process. I guess the worst thing for me is worrying for all this time whether I will be approved or not. I will just face that when it comes.

Again, good luck to you. Isn't it a good feeling when you finally decide to go down this path? Take care of yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions. There's always someone here that's experienced and can take care of you.

Applebottom, I have been told I am pretty funny ,but what I find is I was more funny when I was smaller about 5 years ago. My weight has made me more drepressed and upset at myself for letting myself get like this. This might sound wierd but when I'm not happy I tend to not make others happy. I have a short fruse and less patient with others. I use to bowl, play softball and I now I stay home most of the time. I think you might be just as funny or more. Im not saying just lossing the weight will make you funnier, I think if your funny you are funny. You sound very cool.....you will still be the life of the party....

Applebottom,

This might help...

When I lost 114 lbs on Weight Watchers in 2002-2003, I actually found the nerve to do some acting! I did a LOT of community theater back then, and also did comedy improv like on Whose Line is it Anyway, live before an audience. I had so much more confidence then that I'm SURE I was funnier.

You won't lose yourself. Your funniness will just be more concentrated because it'll be spread out over fewer pounds of you. ^_^ hehe

Seriously... who you are isn't going to change and you don't have to let go of the things you like about yourself. Embrace those things and use them to paint a new you!

-Theresa

Check out the news stories on Ron Lester. He is an actor. you might know him from 'Varsity Blues' or the series 'Popular' a few years ago. He played the fat(politically incorrect) kid. He was 500+ lbs when doing those parts. He underwent a vertical sleeve operation(a form of gastric bypass) and lost 305 lbs. He looks good now, but says that he has a problem getting parts. When he was 508lbs there weren't very many people trying out for those parts, but now there are bunches of other guys trying to get the same parts.

Invisible, not quite, but it definitely takes some getting used to.

gk

I am finding the more weight i lose, the more confident and actually ascertive i am becoming, everyone says they like that i,and i am a dooer now not the old gonna ---- like i am gonna lose weight, Now I am doing it ,I AM LOSING WEIGHT AND GOING TO KEEP GOING TILL I LOSE ALL THE WEIGHT I WANT TO <THEN I AM GOING TO KEEP IT OF!!!!!!:biggrin:

AppleBottom...I know what you mean. I am so excited about moving forward on this surgery (just had initial consult last week...waiting for insurance preauth before doing the sleep study and psychologist). But I am so afraid of "losing myself". I guess it is something we just have to get past :biggrin:) to go on to the next phase of our lives.