Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adding protein powder to Optifast?

Has anybody attempted this? The 14g of Protein per shake is just *not* cutting it for me on this pre-op diet (I'm supposed to be doing the 3 shake/day preop thing and the 'whopping' 42g/day of protein just isn't enough):thumbup:

I'm considering taking a ride over to GNC tomorrow to pick up some unflavoured Protein powder so that I can add it to the Optifast stuff I have.

Any input?

TIA

-m

Edited by dancinglamb

I haven't given this any thought before reading your question.

I am anxious to hear also from others.

I added vanilla Protein powder to anything, even if it had Protein in it...

pack it in, unflavored just adds.. I used both.. some were thicker, some more 'sudsy'.....

Were any brands better than others (I need to get one that I can buy in a B&M store rather than online b/c I can't wait for shipping at this point)? I just figured the unflavoured ones would be the easiest, because then I could add it to the Soups post surgery...

-m

of course the more expensive ones dissolve better, some of the powders are grainy.. I use Fortess from Wal Mart.. I went to GNC also, the unflavored is more expensive.. but then anything at GNC is expensive.. Fortess is about 14 bucks.. whey or Soy protein... just WHEY is my pref..

I have Optifast shakes and also have a shake that is 30 grams of Protein. I tend to stay more satisfied with the Optifast but I do add a little bit more Water to it and place in the blender with lots of ice.

Can you have Crystal Light? Perhaps adding some unflavored Protein powder to it will help you out. Can you have SF popsicles and Jello?

I have Optifast shakes and also have a shake that is 30 grams of Protein. I tend to stay more satisfied with the Optifast but I do add a little bit more Water to it and place in the blender with lots of ice.

Can you have Crystal Light? Perhaps adding some unflavored Protein powder to it will help you out. Can you have SF popsicles and Jello?

I've been chugging the Crystal Light like crazy. In fact, I don't think I've peed this much since doing Pub Crawls back in college:blink:. Good idea about adding the protein to that. I do have a couple samples of that nectar stuff, I could try that tomorrow as well...

I've not been able to find the sugar free popsicles (only the sugar ones - I have to try Whole Foods), and I honestly can't stand Jello. It grosses me out.:rolleyes:

-m

I have been evaluating which Protein powders/convenience shakes to get today also. I was thinking of buying popcycle forms and using some healthy juices or pureed fruits to freeze instead of commercial ones. Think that would be ok? I bought some liquid vitamins, powdered "greens" to add Water to, etc. Nothing like a frustrated creative foodie, eh? Hi to all, Sufina

I have been evaluating which Protein powders/convenience shakes to get today also. I was thinking of buying popcycle forms and using some healthy juices or pureed fruits to freeze instead of commercial ones. Think that would be ok? I bought some liquid Vitamins, powdered "greens" to add Water to, etc. Nothing like a frustrated creative foodie, eh? Hi to all, Sufina

It sounds like a good idea about freezing your own popsicles but you should check with your doctor or nutritionist about using juice and pureed fruits. Though they are healthy option compared to regular popscilce, they would add a lot of calories that most doctors and nutritionists are trying to avoid. How about freezing Crystal Light instead?