Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was It Worth It?

My BMI was 36.5. Don't regret it a single day. Best decision I have ever made in my life. It took something this drastic to get me to move down in weight as far as I have. I've been stuck above 200 for the past 4-5 years. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat if I had to make the decision again.

this is what my experience is also. I have only lost 15 pounds in the last 5 months since I was banded

Hi I am currently 49, pre banded with a 36 BMI and an active person who enjoys exercise but eats huge portions of food. I used to lose weight effortlessly but since my last pregnacy 10 years ago the 60 lb pregnancy weight was not moving. I too am a little worried to that because of my age I may have some problems losing weight like everyone else. Well they promise a minimum of a lb. a week. so here's praying. I'm just so tired of worrying/thinking about my excess weight!!

Wanted to write more ...but lap top has mind of its own. I am thinking of going to Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey MX in February. It is half the price of having it here in NYC.

I am 50 year old, height 5'2; started at 199.6. I was banded July 16, 2008. 6 weeks tomorrow. I weighed 175 today! I am running. and doing great. I am so thrilled that I did this; I do not regret it for a minute.

I have always been active and attractive. I just eat big portions. The Portion Control from the band is a great tool. I know what food chioces and exercise I need.

I ended up being self pay; it was worth every cent and then some.

Is it worth it? Now that I'm on the other side 10 days post op, I can say it without hesitation YES, I'm worth it!!...my health is worth it, my self worth is worth it, my physche is worth it!!

I feel so much more relaxed now that I am not trying so despartely to cover up a huge layer of fat I was carrying. Also my joints, bones, heart, and metabolsim are thanking the inventers of the Lap Band!!

Jacqui, thanks for all your posts. You make me believe I can do this. I am in the US, but have an awesome doctor. I don't have all the restrictions like some on this forum say their doctors have. I pretty much have 3 rules...no carbonated beverages, no drinking calories, and no snacking between meals. Other than that he told me NOT to count calories, NOT to count weight watchers points, just to eat until I was satisfied. It is working for me. I was banded 9-12-08 at 197 pounds 5'4" and I am down to 167 pounds as of last Thursday. 30 pounds in 3 months with weighing my food, counting my calories, etc. seems pretty good to me. Thanks again for your encouragement when you probably didn't even know you were giving it!

Bree

lap-bandit. thank you for your story. yours is like mine and it is good to here it was the right decision for you. I am still debating. seeing doc. on 16th

aliveandwell - First off, congratulate yourself for taking the first step. Only you can make the decision to get the band. For me, it was the best life changing thing I could have done, but for some, it has been a nightmare. Can I just say, that this past January was the first time in probably 20 years that I have not had some "diet plan" that I was going to be starting in the new year. This is the first time, in many years that I have not thought about what I was going to do to lose the weight. The obsession of dieting and trying to find the next quick fix are over for me and I have to tell you, it is one of the most wonderful feelings that you can experience. I feel that I am able to live and enjoy my life without the worry of being over weight or gaining weight with every thing I stick in my mouth. I am finally FREE!!!

I was just banded on 5/7/09 and i almost canceled the surgery. My BMI is 34 after loosing 25 pounds before the surgery as my health plan and physician required. Then I remembered that I had done this befor (lost and gained) and so I went ahead with the surgery. I do feel full and have not had a fill yet. i just started solid foods and they do taste good. My only problem had been my bowels...Yuck, who want to speak about that but, in 2 weeks, I have only been able to go with the aid of Milk of Magn. and then only liquid. My bowel sounds are like a major rock concert. Any suggestions

Best decision ever! I weighed 178 on surgery day and today is day 35 for me. The scale this morning said 162! I lost 10 pounds the first 10 days and have lost between 1-2 pounds a week since. I've had to WORK for it though, but it's ok because my relationship with food has completely changed and I know the weight will keep falling off. It feels great and I go for a fill in 2 weeks. Wish it was next week but I'll be out of town :blush:

Thank you all for your stories. I too am a low BMI-er (35) but like lots of you ---- lost and gained so many times. To the point I refused to "try another diet" becuz they are all the same - start great, lose, then gain back. ugh!

Happy to hear the "down the road I am happy I did it" encouragement! I have the band put on/in June 15 and looking forward to being FULL. gosh - I can't wait to not think about food all the time!