Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid people and their stupid opinions

when someone asks me how I lost all tat weight I tell them one day or one meal at a time..that's enough of an answer for most people...if they want more I tell them don't eat and drink at the same time, and I gave up bread/past/rice. If that helps them great--they don't need to know my life history--nor do they need to judge me for having taken the EASY way out when they have NO idea!! I still have a food problem--I want to eat chocolate...thank G-d there is seldom room for it!! Best of luck to everyone here who support one another....let th rest of the world fend for themselves!!

when someone asks me how I lost all tat weight I tell them one day or one meal at a time..that's enough of an answer for most people...if they want more I tell them don't eat and drink at the same time, and I gave up bread/past/rice. If that helps them great--they don't need to know my life history--nor do they need to judge me for having taken the EASY way out when they have NO idea!! I still have a food problem--I want to eat chocolate...thank G-d there is seldom room for it!! Best of luck to everyone here who support one another....let th rest of the world fend for themselves!!
Oh yeah chocolate...:crying::drool::sad: I forgot about chocolate.......Im gonna miss that for sure!!:thumbup: Surgery Friday... wish me luck sweethearts.

Jana,

I will think of you and hope that everything is wonderful for you. Let us know how it goes. I am right behind you on the 16th!!! April is a good month!!

Nancy :thumbup:

Like I have said before, I am one of the blessed ones in that all that I have told and I have told lots of people, I have gotten about 99% positive feedback!!

I've only had one "mixed" reaction, and that was from a former boss who's still a friend. He's one of those revolting always-been-fit, never-needed-glasses guys. I think he just didn't understand - no frame of reference for him. Once I explained, he picked up on how enthusiastic I was about doing this and returned to his normal, supportive self.

-D

I too told everyone. I can honestly say I have had way more support, than question, and only 1 semi hostile attitude. It come from a thin friend, and she is hyper critical of everything anyway. When she gasped and said NO, do you know how serious that surgery is? I replied yes I did, I had been researching the lapband and my surgeon for almost a year, how long had she been looking into the operation? It shut her up long enough for me to explain to her that it was not bypass. She kept acting like she knew, but it was still dangerous, but she could not tell me HOW it was dangerous! I had to kind of laugh, changed her from offensive to defensive and she never saw it coming!!!!

Most people who ask about my weight loss, seem to be those who would benefit from the same. I hate not telling, because I feel like they might be interested. And I remember seeing people who managed to lose weight through one manner or another before I was banded, and always made me feel so inadequate--I always wondered how they could do what I tried so hard to do and couldn't. I don't want to make others feel that way.

BUT......if there was a way to keep certain people in my life out of the loop----hell yeah I woulda done it!!!! LOL

Kat

Howdy:

I liked what the one person said about how you can't "untell" folks. I am keeping it close to the vest at this point. It's kind of like putting toothpaste back in the tube, pretty much impossible. Why create more aggravation for yourself? Only 3 people know and they are well aware that they are not to disclose this information to anyone. I picked the most supportive folks I know.

One thing I thought I might mention is that if someone has not yet been banded or is not in the process, they usually don't understand all the things you have to do to have the surgery. From what I can see, most people are extraodinarily educated prior to being banded.

I may change my mind later on down the line and tell everyone. Once I have lost most of the weight, how could they argue with success?

Jana,

I will think of you and hope that everything is wonderful for you. Let us know how it goes. I am right behind you on the 16th!!! April is a good month!!

Thank you dahling!!! Have a safe and happy surgery day. And congrats for getting one!!!:crying:

:crying: As I have been saying all along, I am one of the blessed ones as far as support goes. But today was a real happy one for me. I was telling a co-worker about my upcoming surgery and she was so interested in what I was going to do that we talked for over 30 minutes and she was so very supportive. She is going to look into it for herself. she told me that I was an insperation to HER!! As she had been thinking about it for a while now. Of course I told her about this site and told her to jump in and that everyone would give her all the information she could want and of course the encouragement too!! I told her that was the best part of this site. All of you!!

I was a nice experiance for me.

Have a blessed day!!

I had someone tell me I wasn't fat enough to get bariatric surgery, I should just diet.

I didn't tell her I've done that my entire life and I now weigh 260!

People should keep their (unsolicited, unhelpful) opinions to themselves.

I know exacting what you mean, I just mentioned the possibility of considering WLS and opinions were flying. Just go back to Weight Watchers, I did it, you don't need to do something THAT drastic to lose weight, that's the easy way out...just diet! My solution, not to tell anyone. I have confided in two friends and my husband, that's it. When my surgery is done and the evidence is out there and I am not able to hide the fact that I am not eating for a week or two, I may share my decision with a certain few. It is a very personal choice and easy..not from what I have researched and heard from fellow bandsters..it's not easy at all..Weight Watchers was easy.

Try not to be to hard on people who don't know any better...best of luck!

Cathy

I too have only told a few close friends and family about my plan for surgery. But when it comes time to actually do it, I don't think there will be anyway to avoid telling the people I work with (A bunch of nosy, skinny women!!) I have almost all of my appts out of the way and am hoping to have a surgery date by the end of next month. I will have to take a sick leave, which will bring lots of questions from my co-workers, and I'm not quite sure how I can avoid telling them about it without lying to them. Any ideas ????

I told my mom I was thinking about it last night and have my initial consult tomarrow, she said not to let them talk me into it. WTF? She obviously wasn't listening when I told her everything involved in getting to surgery. I am pretty sure that I'm going to do it just a long ways off from surgery. She (and my dad) could use to do lap band too!! My friends I have told are supportive, the overweight ones are thinking about getting banded too.

The only people who know that I am working towards this surgery is my husband and kids. And I threatened them with a slow painful death if they let my in-laws know about it. My in-laws get a perverse pleasure in teasing me about my body. I don't know why people can't just shut up and be supportive. I think maybe they are jealous. So at least let me say..Good Luck!:cool: