Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid people and their stupid opinions

Im not telling anyone except my husband and my BFF.. I made the mistake of mentioning it to a couple other ppl in the past when i was just considering it , and had to hear some stupid things. . the main thing being that in their opinion, i probably wouldnt qualify for WLS because im not " big enough" and I should " exercise more" and " watch what i eat" .. ( as iffff i havent been doing that for the last 6 years !!!!! ) It is very frustrating hearing that stuff, esp. when every day is a constant struggle of trying all kinds of diff. things and youre still at an unhealthy weight. Anyways, after I heard those stupid things, thats when i decided not to tell anyone when I actually was going to have the surgery, which is next month now =] Im so excited. Happy Valentines day to myself and many many more..

I have decided to have the LB and self-pay so I don't have to tell anyone. I won't deny it if asked, but I don't plan to advertise the fact I had it done. For me it is a deeply personal choice, that I have spent many years arriving at this point.

Other then my wife and sons, I don't plan to tell anyone at work or in my circle of friends. For me it is the results that matter, if people don't like the method that is their problem. I will just enjoy the benefits.

:huh2:I haven't had my banding done but my mother is the one who keeps saying are you sure. She is the one who knows that I have been overweight all my life. Now I want to be healthy and be able to wear regular clothes. I am 53 years old and married and now I can finally do something for me and she questions me. I sure wish I hadn't told her, the only thing is she lives with me and my husband.

I am also a TMI person, and I tell it like it is:tt2:. If you don't like me, tough SH_T go find someone you do like. I have told EVERYONE!!!! I am proud I am taking this weight off. I have some FAMILY members who are jealous as heck. I have taken off 30 pounds in 9 weeks and some people look at me like I am sick! I just saw my DMI today and she never said a word, that is because her daughter needs to loose a BUNCH of weight along with her DSI!!!! JEALOUS:tt2:!!!!!! I've got tons of support from my DH and DS, they are proud of me! My husband wants to go to the mall and buy me some more clothes, the first 20 pounds I took off he bought me a new outfit, he was soooo proud. Plus I am shopping in my own closet now, love it! My Pastor and his wife are so proud of me too! He was afraid for me at first, but I think that was from lack of knowledge, he is okay with it now, thinks it's great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

I am also a TMI person, and I tell it like it is:tt2:. If you don't like me, tough SH_T go find someone you do like. I have told EVERYONE!!!! I am proud I am taking this weight off. I have some FAMILY members who are jealous as heck. I have taken off 30 pounds in 9 weeks and some people look at me like I am sick! I just saw my DMI today and she never said a word, that is because her daughter needs to loose a BUNCH of weight along with her DSI!!!! JEALOUS:tt2:!!!!!! I've got tons of support from my DH and DS, they are proud of me! My husband wants to go to the mall and buy me some more clothes, the first 20 pounds I took off he bought me a new outfit, he was soooo proud. Plus I am shopping in my own closet now, love it! My Pastor and his wife are so proud of me too! He was afraid for me at first, but I think that was from lack of knowledge, he is okay with it now, thinks it's great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Congrats to you ... I started telling people about my surgery weeks before I even had it. I got a bit of rash even in the hospital. I am sick of hearing that I couldn't be heavy enough for the surgery, that I look fine.

Your already married so you don't have to worry about it .. ( thats the best one )

For me It was a personal choice and I am proud that I did it and don't really care one way or the other what people think.

I am down 18 lbs in the last 9 days since my band and hope that like in the past when I did my large drop in weight that I will be able to keep it up.

My own mother, bless her, asked me if I could just drink Protein shakes and eat Jell-O and lose weight that way, without having the surgery. She's just worried about me. I explained to her that I had thought of that and if I could do that and not starve, I wouldn't need to have the surgery to begin with. I know some people are misinformed and make really moronic comments, but some people are probably just concerned.Or excited for you, as you said. :)

But, I agree that not telling too many people would help. Just tell those closest to you, and gently tell your hubs and mom that you want to keep it quiet for now. Tell them it's a surprise or something. Some of my work friends know, and I have a sneaking suspicion that more people at work know because of those people. They've been very supportive and have offered to help me with whatever I need, though.

take holiday and do not tell them...lol I work in a place with lots of question :)

I told very few people at first, for fear of failing and being "the girl who had surgery and still couldn't lose weight". As my success has become more obvious I've told more people, but I kind of wish I hadn't. I have one friend who is very offended that I didn't tell her when she first noticed my weight loss only a couple months after my surgery, but I just wasn't ready to tell people at that point. When I did tell her just a couple weeks ago she got really quiet and has been super cold to me ever since. I wish I had either A) told everybody from the beginning or :crying: told nobody at all outside of my family.