Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Never had surgery before

My insecurities may seem a little silly but I've never had surgery before and I just don't know what to expect. What happens the moment you arrive and until the moment you leave? Am I the only one embarrassed about my weight and afraid to get be nude in front of a group of strangers?

Your input would greatly be appreciated.

Hi I went through the lapband surgery in Oct. 2007. I had tonsils removed when I was 5 years old. So what I am trying to say is as an adult I was scared to death of the surgery and everything that went with it. I realize everyone is different but, focus on the prize at the other end. You have already made huge steps by just deciding to get a lap band and change your life. Everyone at the hospital will be real helpful and supportive.

Good Luck

You'll have on a hospital gown and nothing will be uncovered until after you are asleep and won't know it anyway. Besides, the docs have seen every shape and size of body there is, male and female, and really are more focused on where to make incisions and doing their jobs right.

I've had LOTS of surgeries, and compared to the others this one was a piece of cake. But not to make lightly of it, it is still surgery and you definitely want to do everything asked of you. :smile:

i had pretty much the same fears. i was banded feb 28th. i arrived at the hospital-checked in-a nurse came and got me and took a breif medical history type thing-went over meds-things like that. he gave me my wrist bands and then gave me a bag to put my clothes in and gave me clothes to put on. he left the room while i changed and told me to open the door when i was ready. after that we stepped into the hall and i got weighed-then my mom and husband were allowed in until they came to get me for surgery. then another nurse came-only one person was allowed back at that point. we walked back to presurgery and i got into a bed. they put on the numo boot things that help keep your blood cirulating and they started an IV. they give you a couple shots to help with blood clots and some antibiotics. the anethesiologist comes and and meets you and asks if you have any concerns...tell them you're afraid to throw up to make sure they give you something for that once you wake up...i had never had surgery either so i i didn't know but when i woke up i didn't have any so i guess it worked =) so anyway when they're ready to take you back to surgery they give you another shot to relax you and then asked my husband to go back to the waiting room...i was wheeled back to the surgery room and they gave me another shot...i remember the anesthesiologist coming in and hearing his voice and i can't tell you a thing that happened after that. i woke up in post op, which was right next to pre op with all the same nurses...i have no idea how long i was there-i asked for pain meds right away even though i had no clue if i was in pain or not. after i was comletely awake from the anesthisia they took me to my room where my mom and husband walked in right behind me. don't think about your weight or how you may look under your gown-just remember they've seen it all at least 1000 times and aren't there to judge you they are there to help you.

I have had lots of surgeries so I do have some familiarity with processes and procedures. There are some (a few) differences if you are having it done as in-patient (that is, admitted to a hospital), or being done at a clinic (no admission). But either way, you are not parading around naked.:smile: Hospital gowns are provided (and most places have the gowns that are made for larger people - no butt hanging out the back). You will walk to, or be taken to by gurney or wheelchair depending on the facility's practice, either a pre-op room (where you will be asked to lay on a bed) or go directly to the OR (operating room), where you will be asked to lay on a bed. You are STILL wearing your hospital gown, and maybe some goofy looking paper slippers. The anaesthetist will start an iv (usually in the back of the hand, but it can be other places), and sometimes the OR nurse will put a mask over your nose and mouth and ask you to breathe deeply. Within seconds you are asleep. You will awaken later with bandages and pads over the incisions, the IV may still be in, and depending on how quickly you become alert, the IV will be removed, you will be assisted to sit up and, if you are going home, someone will help you to get dressed. Some people are fearful of having a tube stuck down their throat - this process (intubation) is done after you are asleep and the tube is removed before you are awake. Everyone's pain threshold is different, and everyone's recovery is based on their body, their response to drugs, etc. Generally, you will be offered drugs for pain control immediately after you wake up. If in pain, use them. If not, don't.

Key points - you won't be walking around naked, and as the other respondents have said, the Dr/nursing staff have seen a thousand bodies,and they are not judgmental. If at any time you have a question, ask the nurse, the dr, anaesthetist...it is your body, so you have the right and responsibility to understand what is happening.

Final words from me (and I did go on, didn't I)...try to relax as much as possible before surgery - and if the mask is put on your face, breathe deeply!

Congratulations on your decision, and good luck.

Great description LV. Each experience may be a little different. I've had numerous surgeries and there's always the feeling of nervousness. Like folks said, the doctors and nurses are only concerned about your health - not your size.

Feeling nervous is perfectly natural. You will likely have one main nurse/coordinator working with you. Mine was incredibly nice - and they know you're nervous or panicky. Feel free to explain how you feel to your nurse and you'll likely be given something to calm yourself down.

Best of luck! You'll be fine and it will be a piece of cake looking back.

It's really odd. I don't have any of this anxiety about surgery that other people do and I didn't know why for the longest time. And then when I was talking to someone, I think I figured it out. When I was 3 or 4, I had tubes put in my ears because I was having ear infections all the time. I remember when they put me under, the doctor told me to count backwards from 100. I got to 98, and then I woke up. After that, my ears would drain, so there was no ear pain, so I imagine that my child mind at the time said Surgery= the pain goes away. Just a little bit of an anecdote, I guess.

The day of my surgery I went and checked in, and they had me change into the hospital gown and the cheapo slippers. I went into the preop room, they started the IV, I talked to my doctor and his assistant, and then then anesthesiologist came in and I chatted with him. He put something in my IV, and then I woke up. I don't remember having a whole other conversation with another doctor, and I don't remember handing my boyfriend (how husband) my glasses and either being rolled or walking into the OR. I was in a little bit of shock when I woke up, because my brain didn't really remember that I should be in some amount of pain. When my doctor asked how I was, I asked him for pain medication, and he said he would give me some, but that I'd have to stay in the recovery room for another 2 hours, or they could take my to my room now. I asked if I could sit up a little bit, to which he said sure, and that helped A LOT. It helped me get my bearings (sp) and sort everything together. Then the pain wasn't so bad, and they rolled me into my room where my boyfriend gave me my glasses back. I slept on and off in about 2 hour intervals for the first day. Walking that first day made me nauseas, so after the first time I just stayed in bed until the next day, at which point it was fine.

Hope this helps some.