Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie to the 60+ group

Hi, I am 61 and just was banded on August 27. From reading your post, it looks like you are about ready to have the surgery. I am now three days out and it is going well. I have a blog about everything if you wish to read it. healthierdocsly.blogspot.com I am writing it to help others know they are not alone and it helps me face the challenge.

Hi docsly Good to have you with us here in the 60+ group. I was banded August 4th and I am doing very well. I really don't feel hungry eating such small amounts, and it sure feels great to have all my clothes getting way to big on me. Keep in touch, and let us know how you are doing. Take care.... Karen

hey docsly...congrats! I'll keep following your "healthy" progress. I've just started researching and so far I like what I find. I think I'm going to give myself til the new year though so when I do go I'll be really ready. Till then I'll lurk around here and pick up as many tips as I can so when it's my time I won't be such a scaredy cat.

Ada

Karen and docsly:

Congratulation on your banding, and I'm keeping an eye out to see how you are progressing. I can hardly wait for my band date Oct 13, so hard I not nervous and since I have cancelled once already it's full speed ahead for me.

I am really happy to have this forum available with ladies in my same age group. We do have different challenges than when we were younger.

Doddie63:

I like your idea of a slow steady weight loss. You must have lost more weight in the beginning, because what you have lost indicates about 4lbs a month. You mentioned having a loose fill, is that something I can request from my doctor? This is news to me.

Are you excercising and what are you doing? I'm always open to ideas.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am a grandmother of three wonderful boys who are 2 months old, 3 years old, and 4 years old. I am looking forward to retiring, and have more time to see them. I love to quilt, and I love to cook. I have been busy buying low carb cookbooks, as they tell me they want me on a high Protein low carb diet. Sweets are my downfall for sure!!! I welcome any suggestion for a good tested low carb cookbook. I was heavy all my adult life, but I had a bad fall a few years ago and fractured my back. I really gained the weight after that, as it was difficult to do much of anything. I have problems with my knees, and ankles and my back. So I really need to loss 150 pounds so I can keep mobile. I am counting on everyone here for support. It's great to know I am not alone.

Welcome Karin... I wish you all the luck in the world on your new journey. I'm new here too, and am excited about my new life ahead of me. I just had my banding on Sept 17, '08... 2 weeks, and healing nicely. Again.. Welcome aboard.

hey docsly...congrats! I'll keep following your "healthy" progress. I've just started researching and so far I like what I find. I think I'm going to give myself til the new year though so when I do go I'll be really ready. Till then I'll lurk around here and pick up as many tips as I can so when it's my time I won't be such a scaredy cat.

Ada

That's great, just remember that there are hoops to jump thru before you can have the surgery... it might take til the first of the year to get that part over with too. At least that was the way it was for me.

I think it's great that you are preparing yourself so well, it will be great to not have any surprises. Best of luck to you.. glad you are here.

Karen and docsly:

Congratulation on your banding, and I'm keeping an eye out to see how you are progressing. I can hardly wait for my band date Oct 13, so hard I not nervous and since I have cancelled once already it's full speed ahead for me.

I am really happy to have this forum available with ladies in my same age group. We do have different challenges than when we were younger.

Hi Travellady, I'm in Calif also, and just had my band 2 weeks ago. You will do fine. I'm also in my 60s and agree, we do have a few more challenges than the young ones. But we are resilient and will do great... and look good doing it. Nice meeting you... and good luck, it won't be long now.

Hi there all---

I got my band on July 17 and think it is the greatest. I have lost 35 lbs so far. Have a long wayto go, but take it a day at a time. I have had two fills and am scheduled for a third on Monday. That is my biggest complaint is that I feel I have no restriction. I have not had any trouble eating anything. Still don't eat much red meat though. Just remember to follow your doctors orders. The two weeks before and until you get your first fill will be the hardest time to go through, after that it gets easy. Also my port sight was the one that hurt for about 3 weeks. I found it easier to sleep on a recliner for a few days. I was undecided about the surgery u until the day I had it done, but now I wouldn't trade it for anything. I feel I am slowly but surely getting my life back. If I can help with any questions or just support, please reply----:tongue::thumbup::tongue::thumbup: