Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It finally clicked! I get it now.

So I have been on the boards a lot lately reading what everyone has to say. I always knew that the lap band was a tool, and that it was NOT a cure all. But for some reason today it just clicked and I realized in truth that for as least the next year I will be on a pretty restrictive diet. Not to mention exercise. I realized that I have to look at it that way or I will never really be able to make the commitment. The lap band will help me eat less, and keep the weight off once lost, but it really sunk in today that it is up to me to do the work and not cheat and that I will be on pretty restrictive eating until I am at goal. I am totally fine with this because I need and want to get healthy and fit...but I think that once I had this "ah ha" moment, I wasn't truly aware of what I'm getting myself into. And the wonderful part is that this doesn't scare me and I am ready to get my booty in shape and make the commitment! =) :huh2:

It's fantastic that you realise this and im so happy for you! It took me ages to realise the band wasn't gonna do it for me. Good luck on your weight loss journey, don't forget to share your fab results once they start rolling!

Bel

Thank you for posting this! I know that I will have to work toward my weight loss goals and that the band isn't a magic wand. It is a tool to assist in my efforts to lose weight and get healthy. I have to start telling myself this now, even though my suregery isn't until May 19th.... Now if I can just get out of this "Last Supper Syndrome"! :huh2:

lol, i miss my last suppers! i used to have them every week thinking i would start losing weight next week.

The band changed that and it will for you too, enjoy your last suppers while you can, i did....probably shouldn't say that im a bad influence.

If you have any questions or anything i would be happy to help by the way.

Im so excited for you, it reminds me how much the band changed my life.

Bel

ooooh i just thought of what your new nickname will be, SEXY LEXY lmao you like?

Edited by Bel

That's great! You're on the right track, marineliebe.

The band won't do it alone, you have your share, too. But it will be a good help to remind you that you're on a journey for a new life. There are so many things we have to learn or re-learn again: making correct food choices, taking our time to chew, chew and chew some more everytime we eat, exercise, taking better care of ourselves, etc.

best of luck,

niki

I realized this recently as well. I have been losing weight since banded but I was still eating bad foods just not as much. My weight loss slowed down and I realized it was up to me now. I track my food and count my calories and work out. It is totally worth it.

So I have been on the boards a lot lately reading what everyone has to say. I always knew that the lap band was a tool, and that it was NOT a cure all. But for some reason today it just clicked and I realized in truth that for as least the next year I will be on a pretty restrictive diet. Not to mention exercise. I realized that I have to look at it that way or I will never really be able to make the commitment. The lap band will help me eat less, and keep the weight off once lost, but it really sunk in today that it is up to me to do the work and not cheat and that I will be on pretty restrictive eating until I am at goal. I am totally fine with this because I need and want to get healthy and fit...but I think that once I had this "ah ha" moment, I wasn't truly aware of what I'm getting myself into. And the wonderful part is that this doesn't scare me and I am ready to get my booty in shape and make the commitment! =) :biggrin:

Woo hoo, fantastic! :lol: I'm slowly getting it but I don't think that's fully kicked me in the head yet though unfortunately :w00t:

Thank you for posting this! I know that I will have to work toward my weight loss goals and that the band isn't a magic wand. It is a tool to assist in my efforts to lose weight and get healthy. I have to start telling myself this now, even though my suregery isn't until May 19th.... Now if I can just get out of this "Last Supper Syndrome"! :wub:

Oh hon, I had "last supper syndrome" some kind of bad and to some extent without having restriction in some ways I still do. The brain is a devious thing I tell you, a devious thing. Hang in there! I gained probably 10lbs of "last supper syndrome" prior to surgery and thought "well heck, what does it matter anyways I'm getting my band soon" well now that I'm banded I wish that I hadn't been such a tool at the time because I would be 10lbs less than I am now. Ah well, live and learn. :tt1:

Good luck to both of you on your journeys! :biggrin2:

When I had my "moment of truth" that the lap band would change my entire life, I wailed because of the loss of my best friend food. When I think of not being able to eat what I want and having restrictions the lap band brings, I also hyperventilate. I'm so glad you are becoming comfortable with your decision to have the lap band.

I know exactly what you mean...or at least I know it in the dispassionate/reasonable side of my brain. Now, if I could just get my emotional/social brain, AND my stomach to the same place, I'd be far better off!

It is early days yet for me, and wisdom comes with time...I hope!

Thank you for posting this! I know that I will have to work toward my weight loss goals and that the band isn't a magic wand. It is a tool to assist in my efforts to lose weight and get healthy. I have to start telling myself this now, even though my suregery isn't until May 19th.... Now if I can just get out of this "Last Supper Syndrome"! :biggrin:

yea I'm trying to get out of the last supper stage too! The coffee drinks are killing me as well! its like a feeding freenze to eat all the stuff that I'm going to miss right now, really fast! I need to stop! I can't wait for my band tho! so its all going to be worth it.

Congratulation on your date!! I just had my banding 4 days ago and already feel better. I am out the gate running because if I don't I will never get started with the exercise portion. I am a Nurse Practitioner by profession and I too went through the last meal symdrome. But I also understood the importance of making sure that my liver didn't need to be fatty and get in the way during surgery..so that fact along helped me maintain. FYI.. clear the house of anything tempting and buy whatever you need so that you will be without excuse!!!

Roz