Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is your surgeon a general surgeon?

I'm still in the process of getting the LB approved through my insurance, but I found out over the weekend that my surgeon is not just a bariatric surgeon, he is a general surgeon as well. In other words, he does things like appendectomies, colostomies, etc. I'm not sure how that makes me feel. I think he is a great doctor and I liked him right away...but knowing that he doesn't do JUST bariatric surgery has me going :unsure:. It's too late to change doctors, in my particular case.

How would you feel?

My surgeon is a general laparoscopic surgeon. He does lots of laparoscopic procedures. In fact, when I needed by gallbladder out last year, he did that surgery too. It was neat - he already knew the band was there, knew exactly what to expect from it, and even gave it a looksie while he was in there cutting out my GB.

Nothing about him not being dedicated to WLS bothers me. He's done tons of WLS surgeries (I think between 2k and 3k) and has the additional experience of generic laparoscopy. I see that as a win-win. I loved that my band doc could do my GB doc, took the care to reuse the incisions as much as possible, knew and understood what he was going to see with the band there, etc.

Mine is also a general surgeon, she just specalizes in WLS. I think most of the doctors do that.

I think that's the norm.....my doc does "mostly" WLS, but other things to. I would certainly go to her if I needed something else done and be very glad that she could do it.....she already knows how and what to do around the band.

It's not something to worry about, IMO!

Mine works at the Bariatric center... But thats not all he does. He has another office that deals with other types of laproscopic surgeries.

My doctor is a general surgeon as well. He is very good and has lots of experience. In no way did it bother me that his practice was not limited to bariatrics.

My surgeon is general as well and works a few days a month to remove appendix and things like that. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My doc was a general surgeon as well. Most of the surgeons started out that way and then specialized. They all have the same training. There are pros and cons. My docs office isn't set up just for weight loss and support groups and does not have all the glitz and glam of Bariatric Centers. They have more to offer I think post op. I was going to change surgeons as well once i found out the difference as well. Insurance wasn't really good at giving me the info regarding Lapband and doctors and there aren't many around here. I was going to switch and found out from all the docs that I fianlly did find that were bariatric only surgeons, I would have had to start the process from the beginning even though I was already insuranced approved so I stuck with my surgeon, and everything is fine and absolutely no complications, no pain, no gas, no anything. I think because he specializes in more than just bariatric and does so many other stomach procedures he new how to advise me more in the stomach healing and stuff. As long as your doc is a great surgeon - he has the training and will do a good surgery. however, if you want all the support groups and all that goes with it - you may want to pick the bariatric only. You'll be fine either way. I was not into all the groups and meetings - I just wanted the surgery. They do have them too, just not so big and organized. Good Luck

My Dr. is a general surg. also, infact this will be the 3rd. surgery he would be doing on me. I like the fact that he knows me and has worked on me before. He already knows my insides...LOL! I wouldnt fill comfortable with someone who doesnt know me as well as he does.

Hi:

I'm glad that my surgeon is a general surgeon. I have to get my gallbladder out. The same doctor that did my band is going to take care of my gallbladder. He and his Dad decided to start banding back in 2005 and he said that he gets alot out of being a band surgeon because he has patients that are patients for life they get alot of gratification from helping us be more healthy, happy people. It's comforting to me.

Sue

My Dr is also a gen. surg. He removed my gallbladder a couple yrs ago & I love him. He is terrific. I think its better to have a GS in case you have other issues down the road, he will already be familiar w/ u.