Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March MASTER THREAD 2: BAND HARD WITH A VENGEANCE

I don't know why we lost it, but the Master Thread seems to have died. So here's a continuation...

I've been trying to decide whether or not I want to get my fill. I'm scheduled for the 14th. Right now I'm almost four weeks out, down probably about 16 pounds since surgery.

I feel pretty good, and my eating is moderate. I don't get hungry, and I've NEVER experienced bandster hell. I eat a lot less than I used to, and I somehow don't seem to be falling into all my old traps. I have, for example, a hardcore love of hot chocolate. The real stuff, French dark chocolate melted into skim milk, with cream and sugar and cocoa powder added. In my liquids stages, I'd have the occasional cup, and would make it last for two days. Now I'm out and about and I swing by City Bakery (the best place in NYC for hot chocolate), and I don't get hot chocolate - even though you can choose a Dixie cup-sized serving! In fact, I don't get anything at all, and I don't want to.

So I'm pretty good at the moment. I'm watching my intake, occasionally stretching it a bit, but I don't think I've really gone over 1700 cals at my most extreme. And the weight is coming off.

Now I can eat or drink whatever I want, but I only want to eat or drink a bit before stopping. THis is exactly what I wanted from the band. I can have salad if I want to - uh, I think; I've not tried it yet.

So, shall I get my fill in two weeks?

I asked this question over in the Men's Room actually, and got a really great response from Jack - Super Moderator, a veteran of the process, who's down 126 pounds.

I'm going to relay his thoughts here (he quotes some of my original post in that item), because I think they're pretty instructive in terms of mastering this whole process:

JACK:

re: "I don't want to eat as much as I used to, I feel full on less than I normally eat, and I don't seem to be falling for my old bad habits. I've almost never felt hungry, and I've never experienced "bandster hell"."

Restriction is best in our BRAIN and our eating behavior....you are beginning to experience this reality! What you are feeling is SATIETY.

Good job!!!

re: "Should I be eating until I'm full, or should I be using Protein grams and calories for my guide?

Eating until we were FULL is how we all got to be MORBIDLY OBESE!!!

Eating until the very FIRST inkling of 'NOT HUNGER' is when we stop....then 'restriction' is where is should be....in our behavior!

I never knew what 'satiety' was in practice...once I had to do a report on it, and while I learned an amazing amount about it....'satiety' was to me like 'tone deaf' or 'color blind' or 'without sense of smell'....

I had no way to relate to that physicality....

Seek that point at which you can discern 'NOT HUNGRY'....

remember this: "full" is NOT the same as 'not hungry';

I strived for decades to eat till I was full, and all I got was 373 pounds mostly of extra fat.

Normos eat until they are NOT hungry, then stop. And the difference is NOT their sensation of 'full' it is their sensation of 'satiety' or 'NOT hungry'. If we continue to eat until full...we will continue to eat ever more regardless of physiological hunger.

Learn that trick, and we will conquer our eating errors.

I think what I'll do is go onto solids on Thursday, and see how I do both in terms of my eating and in terms of my weight loss. In a couple of weeks - ie when I'm on the scales in the surgeon's office - I'll decide then...

"remember this: "full" is NOT the same as 'not hungry';"

I've read this from Jack in a few places. Ive been trying to tune in to my body more to "feel" this. My husband has actually asked if I'm OK because I've got that far away look. LOL.

I think there is alot to be learned in that phrase.

My Dr said he would not put if a fill until the weight loss stopped and I could prove it wasn't from my poor eating habits. So I've started a food log.

Good luck with solids. I've been there for a week now and I'm doing good. No sticking,or PBing. I never knew how much I missed sashimi.

I emailed the webmaster about the master thread. I hope it is just a glitch.

I think that Jack is right. Well, I guess, OBVIOUSLY, looking at his weight loss, Jack knows how the band works.

BUT WHAT I wanted from (my bloody cat keeps on pressing his paw on the shift key!) the band was a gentle break applied most of the time, and a hard break applied when I was going too fast. And that's what I have now. I assume that as I lose weight, or as my stomach becomes accustomed to this, I might start eating more - at THAT point I'll get the fill.

My hunger is back and at times it just drives me nuts. However, I'm taking care to eat slowly and conciously and it really seems to work. I find that I am usually not full or even close to not hungry when I stop but after 15-30 minutes that goes away.

I'm learning to listen to my body and I'm busting my ass to make sure I get all my fluids in. I'm measuring just about everything I eat and taking note of the nutrition values. I aim for about 1200 calories a day but there are times when I go over. I don't give myself a hard time - I simply resolve to do better the next day. I also stop to think why I required more calories that day and figure out what I could have done better or differently.

The Daily Plate has really helped me with tracking my caloric intake and my physical activity.

I look forward to my first fill on April 18th. I think it will help take the edge off my hunger during my meal. At least, that's my hope.

So my saga continues! I went into the ER today b/c I felt I was close to dehydration. The ER doc gave me 2 bags of saline and called my surgeon, who instructed him to give me another. Then my surgeon called when I got home and wants to see me again tomorrow at the surgery center to put me under again and check on the band. If, one inside, he feels like it needs to be adjusted, he will make a change. I'll keep you guys posted!

Ay yi yi evelas! That's no fun! But it'll be a lot easier surgery this time. How horrid to have to deal with all this!

Did he originally fill the band during surgery? I can't remember when you were banded.

Whimsy, you rock! I really admire your dedication...

OK, the main thread is up again!

evelas, you must tell us what happens tomorrow and how you're doing!

get your fill but hold off on the salad a little while longer. I too am missing salads desperately but when I met with MD last time he said hold off until next visit which is 4/16. I was banded on 3/12

goodluck