Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's be honest about exercise

Thanks to all who replied. I'm a stubborn person, and have never really liked exercise. I really need to get the mind set to "just do it". Any hints on how to make exercise a habit? :bolt:

set a time everyday that you are going to exercise, you find yourself watching the clock to make sure you dont miss that time.

Or exercise when you first get up in the morning, if you dont exercise you stay put until you have.

I personally find that having my 'fat' photos plastered around me is the most motivating because i dont want to ever go back to that... use things you find inspirational and make sure they are around you. Even things like a piece of clothing you want to fit in to, an event on your calander you want to look good for.

I also made myself a book of inspiration, its a scrapbook type thing with pictures of things i want to achieve in life and people i aspire to, when i get down i look at it and its instant motivation.

This site is also wonderful. Despite being at goal weight for 5yrs i am still a little bit chubby, i came here and it inspired me again, i have lost 1kg in 4 days because im being diligent again!

Bel

Edited by Bel

I learned to love something. It helped that I grew up playing sports, I'm fairly coordinated and athletic and my body had a good memory for exercise, I never really gave it up entirely.

But I never thought I'd be a runner! Getting involved in fun runs was the best thing I ever did, that external motivator really helps. I've always got someting to aim for to keep me going.

But these days, my motivation is internal because I am now fit and my body craves the exercise. It really makes me feel good, I feel terrible without it and I am addicted to the endorphin rush. I would rather go to the gym than go to a movie. I'd rather get up early and get my long run in on Saturday than sleep in.

But nonetheless I do lack motivation at times, for those times I have an easy option - the treadmill. Its much less intense than a circuit class or a run outside, I still push it but I dont have to miss a TV show or go out in the dark, etc. It really got me through the early days of exercising too.

I also found that when I was losing weight at the same time, I really could appreciate what the exercise was doing and that made it easy to do. I never stuck to it before because I didnt see results, to me that's not a lack of willpower, most people wont continue to do something they find unpleasant if they dont perceive its benefitting them.

And when its all said and done, its MUCH easier to FORCE yourself to do something for 40 minutes than it is to constantly day in day out be in control of your eating. Exercise is the easy part!

But these days, my motivation is internal because I am now fit and my body craves the exercise. It really makes me feel good, I feel terrible without it and I am addicted to the endorphin rush. I would rather go to the gym than go to a movie.

This is the holy grail, and it just doesn't come for everyone. I had a long period when I didn't mind exercising, even came here and said it was fun, and of course when one is less heavy it becomes much easier.

But I have never ever been able to say that I "love" it. I've never had that famous endorphin rush--no matter how hard the workout or how long the walk or ride or whatever. My body has never "craved" exercise--it craves peace and quiet and sleep and intellectual stimulation, not physical stimulation. I'm not even sure my body makes endorphins.

UUGGHH!! Sometimes I seriously wish speed were legal. :huh2:

Edited by Alexandra

I strive for everyother day doing 30 min. of aerobics and 30 min. of weights. Then I walk as much as possible on the off days. Get a pediometer to wear. It calculates your steps, miles and how many calories you burn in the course of your daily activities.

Find something that you like to do. I discovered that by doing the elliptical machine for 30 min. gave me better results than 40 min. on the treadmill. Don't be discouraged!

one thing you might want to do is join a gym, either on your way home from work, or near your house. One that you have to go by often, so you feel so guilty, you just have to pull in!!

My company pays for our membership, and it is just great!! One thing I have noticed is that I get bored if I do the same thing each time I go, so I switch it up a bit, on Mondays I do Water aerobics, then the next time I go, I do treadmill and recumbent bike, then the next time I do the weight machines...I was going to Zumba (a dance class) but it tried to kill me, so I stopped!! But I am going to try it again this week, as my skinny sister is addicted to it, and she wants me to go..it is a lot of fun, but very confusing for my 2 left feet:smile:

one thing you might want to do is join a gym, either on your way home from work, or near your house. One that you have to go by often, so you feel so guilty, you just have to pull in!!

My company pays for our membership, and it is just great!! One thing I have noticed is that I get bored if I do the same thing each time I go, so I switch it up a bit, on Mondays I do Water aerobics, then the next time I go, I do treadmill and recumbent bike, then the next time I do the weight machines...I was going to Zumba (a dance class) but it tried to kill me, so I stopped!! But I am going to try it again this week, as my skinny sister is addicted to it, and she wants me to go..it is a lot of fun, but very confusing for my 2 left feet:smile:

At one point in my banded life I actually enrolled my younger daughter in the Y preschool precisely in order that I would HAVE to go there every day to pick her up; it would be easy to work out at the same time. And it worked!! That's how dedicated I was to exercising for a while there. I had a personal trainer, played volleyball, did weights and all the various cardio machines, ice skated, swam, and rode my bike. All of it was "fun" but NONE of it was anything I can really say I "loved."

That's my point--that turning point where movement and play are supposed to become something we "need" never happened. The closest I came was during a vacation in Cape Cod where I really, really enjoyed getting up early and going for a long solo bike ride. But that's never happened again. And with the realities of life with kids and work and commuting and schedules, etc.--it's really a challenge to find the time and space to creatively fit physical movement into the day in a way I can consistently enjoy.

This too shall pass--when my kids get old enough to leave at home alone for a while, I will get up in the very early mornings to ride or walk or go to the gym--but for now I have to force myself to go to the gym a couple of times a week.

I can't say I've ever loved exercise either. I do enjoy my walks, especially in the morning but I enjoy laying in bed the extra 45 minutes more. I have to MAKE myself go and then when I do go I really do enjoy myself. I often wonder about a gym, I live about 20 miles out of town and work just a couple miles from my house so a gym has never been an option. I think I would like curves but again the closest one is 15 miles away.

I have started to exercise again this week. My doctor told me I could start walking and doing "whatever didn't hurt". It is so difficult to exercise when you carry so much weight - the joints, knees, etc. are sore the next morning but I know from past experience that it is going to be the one thing that brings the constant, steady weight loss. When I read through all the testimonials posted on this board - whenever there is great and highly unusual success (far surpassing the quoted statistics), exercise always seems to be at the root. I was an avid runner in my 20's and have gone through exercise spurts throughout the years but I really hope that with this new outlook - I can learn to crave it again.......now if only I could figure out how to control the sweatiness and not have to wash my hair........... !! 8-)

I actually do. I walk on my treadmill for 30 - 45 minutes a day, then workout on a bowflex for 20. 5-6 days a week. What really helps is that I get on my treadmill, plop my laptop on the tray and log in to the lapbandtalk chat, time flys by. So far, its been almost 5 months on the same routine, i've become an exercise addict.

I work out at the gym at least 3 nights a week now for about 1 1/2 hours. I do one hour of resistance and 30 minutes of heavy cardio. On the nights I don't go to the gym, I try and hit the treadmill for 30 minutes. I have just started this in the past couple of months and sometimes really have to push myself to go. I know I always feel better when I do go then when I don't.

Phyllis, I am impressed that you can do the treadmill and LBT at the same time. I am one of these people who gets motion sickness watching my kids play a racing video game. I once thought I would try surfing the net while on the treadmill, and ended up in the bathroom with my head over the bowl. I am such a wimp, lol.

Susan, I was just going to say the same thing about using the computer and walking at the same time. When I walk on the treadmill, I need to use my arms to swing and can only concentrate on my IPod. That is amazing! But if it makes the time fly, great

Love it and I exercise 5X a week at 55 minutes each session.

I have to really push myseolf to exercise, I'd rather be on the couch. But today I did 30 minutes on the treadmill - hurray Hope to do the same tomorrow