Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone having less bowel movement

Hello,

I am not having regular BMs at all. I can go all week w/out a BM. I have to take a stool softner in order to poop. Can someone recommend foods that will promote BMs? I have tried Prunes and it does not help.

Is anyone else experinceing this?

HOw far post op are you ? If its fairly soon you might want to talk to your doc. If its not you might still want to talk to your doc . This can be a symptom of IBS and it can cause some serious issues down the line.

My mother was in the hospital for 3 weeks because her bowels almost ruptured due to an upper and lower bowl upstruction . This was caused in part from not being "regular' for many many yrs. She did not even know that it was not "Normal " to be regular.

So my point , its not normal to not have a BM on a regular basis , so I would talk to your doc about it . I am having to try to get in more Fiber myself but with the limits in my diet,(NOt being able to eat Pasta, breads ect) It can make that difficult. so the next step is going to be meds. My doc said the same issue my mom had I could have since I too have IBS .

HTH

Mindy

I have no isues with pooping.

Omly 12 days post-op and going the same as before surgery. I have IBS and was told that it wouls not change ith the surgery. The surgery did help immensely with the acid reflux though.. I have taken no nexium since the day of surgery.

not to sound crude, but now my BM's are so much more stinky than before. possible because of the concentration of Protein in my system?

Lynn

Are you eating healthier than before ? if you are not having issues with BM's you might be getting in more Fiber than before.

My moms IBS causes Constipation , Mine on the other hand causes uncontrollable diahrea FUN huh . Both issues my doc said , due to my mom's history can be serious if not regulated one way or another .

Mindy

I dont have issues as a rule, but because less goes in, less comes out.

And maybe I'm a tad more prone to getting slightly constipated, but never enough to need a laxative or anything, just every now and then I'll pass one that seems to have teeth!

I do make sure to keep up the good carbs, the wholegrains although they can be work to eat.

I know from past history, an increase in Iron in your system is a "great" way to get constipated. Hope your DR says a lower iron is ok.

I know I am getting little fibre in my diet these past few weeks, due to the liquid diet. but keeping track of all my intakes and seem to be doing well with the Protein, Water quantities, watching carbs and fats. I do find that my Unjury chocolate and other "chocolate" Protein Drinks due cause a bit more regularity for me. But sometimes I feel like I am living in the bathroom... At times I wish I was a bit constipated.....

I am a year post op and still have problems with Constipation. I guess it is from not eating the grease/oils that used to. I am doing good with my Fluid intake. I am lucky to have 2 small BM's per week. I have taken Correctol as much as 2x per week. My doc office suggested this tea called Smooth Move. Seems to help.

I find if I don't mix Benefiber or Fiber Sure or Fiber Choice, etc. in my drink, I will be very constipated. My doctor said it could be from all the Protein that can cause Constipation. I mix a couple of tablespoons in my ice tea and am regular. hope this helps.

As Jacqui said: Less in, Less out. :thumbup:

It's completely normal. Nothing to worry about. If you have a lot of Constipation, up the fiber in your diet.

For some people though its not normal. It can be a problem. My mom did not even know she should have BM's more than a few times a month until she had a problem with them . The issue my mom had almost and could have killed her, she was with in hours of her bowels rupturing. So if your having issues i would run it by a doc first . My doc wants me to try to regulate with my diet first then move to things like Benefiber or meds next.

Personally if your not having a BM a few times a week something needs to be done and your doc needs to be contacted .

Just my input

mindy

A week is not good. But you certainly will defacate less as you are eating less high carb foods. Your body is using the Proteins it is receiving and buring off the fat, but you should be going at least once a day. Try adding Benefiber to your regimen twice a day.