Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Donated blood since being banded...Help!

I really think it would be in your best interest to at the very least find out WHY you've been told not to donate blood before making the decision to go ahead and do it. Maybe there is some specific reason he/she doesn't want YOU to, and possibly they don't tell everyone that. Knowledge is power.

Talked with my mom (nurse) and she says its probably to do with my body being in transition and the quality of nutrients in it. She wasn't comfortable with me donating blood. Ok, I'll wait and ask the next time I see my Dr in person for a full explanation. I've done pretty much everything by the book so far might as well keep plugging along. Thanks for the support!:smile:

I've donated at least 4 times since my surgery...no problems here. One of the questions on the forms asks when your last surgery was and for what reason...I told the nurse and it was no big deal.

There is one thing I have learned since being on these forums...Doctors have different rules for everyone depending on your particular case.

I have donated twice since being banded. The first time was fine (several weeks ago). I donated a week ago (I am 10 months out and have lost 70 lbs.)and had quite a bit of lightheadness all day. I happened to have an appointment with my cardiologist on Monday and he said no more donating. Maybe because we don't eat that much, it is harder for the body to recoup. Frankly, I was relieved he said that as I really did not like the effects this time. Good luck.

I am on call. I donated exactly one month after my surgery, and will donate again on Monday, three months after my surgery. I was told that as long as the incisions were closed and healed there is not a problem. They only cautioned that to make sure I get some food in the morning of the donation so I am not weak.

The band for me, is really tight in the morning, so I don't donate in the morning anymore. I eat around 11am, and donate around 1pm.

Last year, I broke my wrist and needed surgery (plate & screws), and I was told that I couldn't donate blood for 3 months afterward. I'm surprised some people are not turned down when they're one month out of surgery...:confused2:

I used to do automated blood collection all the time (if I could pass the dreaded Iron test), so I'm curious to see if I can still do this. It takes a lot longer than whole blood donation, but I guess since it's one of my few do-gooder deeds, I should try when I get 3 months out. :crying:

I donated today. Again, fully disclosing the surgery was 3 months ago today and there was no issue. My pulse was good, BP good, and Iron good. They found the vein in one attempt, and I was done with the blood donation 20 minutes later.

You have to have a snack before you leave, so I had a sugar free apple juice and my first Oreo cookie in 6 months. Its a good thing we are taught to chew slowly now, because that is what I did, savored the taste and chewed really slowly.:crying:

If you've recently been banded, then I would think you need 2-3 months to build up nutrients in your system since you'll be healing for a good 3 months.

I've donated twice since being banded in June, once in December and once at the beginning of this month. I will tell you that BOTH times I have been weak/no energy for about 7 days afterward and that has NEVER happened to me when I donated pre-band. I mentioned that I had just given blooda day before at my last fill and the doctor didn't say much about it. Nothing negative.

I've been wondering about this. I have a friend with cancer who gets regular blood transfusions. Her insurance doesn't cover blood products. (Wierd huh?) It's expensive, so pre-band I was donating and putting the donation in her "account" so she wouldn't have to pay. I haven't done it since I was banded as I was a little concerned. I'm four months out, eat well, and have great blood test results. I've lost 43 pounds. I guess maybe I'll try now and see what happens. I've felt bad for her the last two transfusions that I wasn't able to help.

This is an old thread, but this is an issue I'm currently concerned about. I got the OK from my surgeon to donate blood, so I went in this week and donated. My BP was normal, Iron was good, but since donating on Thursday,2 days ago, I have dizzy spells, light headedness and don't feel as energetic as I did before the donation. I gave double red platelets so that could be why? I was an excellent donor pre-op,jumping up and feeling totally normal after donation, so I think this is because of my decreased diet. I am trying to eat extra Protein and hope this goes away soon, I missed 2 workouts because of this.

I always do the double donation too. I drink their little carton of juice immediately following the donation, and then through the next while I make sure I drink something sweet---and have a high Protein diet for the next few meals.

This was on the suggestion of my band Dr. that I follow these guidelines, and I have never had an issue. He NEVER reccommends sweet drinks, but he did in this case----wonder if that might be something that would help you???

Hope you figure it out!!

Kat

My doc said to wait until my 6 month check up. that's when he did all my blood work. Once cleared, I was good to go.