Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Parents pick prayer over docs; girl dies

I think they basically murdered their daughter due to neglect for not seeking the proper medical attention that she so obviously needed!

Personally, I feel like they were misguided. I'm baptist....and personally think God gave us medicine and surgeons for a reason. But I don't know how I feel about them being charged, if they did what they did for religious reasons.

Christian Scientists have a religious aversion to most medicines. Jehovah's Witnesses regularly refuse blood transfusions........but then you read about kooks who starve and beat a child in an "exorcism"-like ritual.

At the risk of sounding like a one-trick (or phrase) pony, It's a very slippery slope to navigate. I'm glad I don't have the final say as to whether those parents should be charged or not.

See, if they were charged, went to trial and I was on the jury, I would have no problem convicting them. I know there are a lot of religious folks out there, but I have yet to see any evidence of prayer saving anyone. Just my opinion.

Ugh, poor girl.

I'm bad about taking my kids to the doctor (with 5 of them, I really only take them when they are SUPER sick). I hope I'm not THIS bad about it, though! I gotta think I'd get them there before they DIED.

Personally, I feel like they were misguided. I'm baptist....and personally think God gave us medicine and surgeons for a reason. But I don't know how I feel about them being charged, if they did what they did for religious reasons.

Christian Scientists have a religious aversion to most medicines. Jehovah's Witnesses regularly refuse blood transfusions........but then you read about kooks who starve and beat a child in an "exorcism"-like ritual.

At the risk of sounding like a one-trick (or phrase) pony, It's a very slippery slope to navigate. I'm glad I don't have the final say as to whether those parents should be charged or not.

I hear what you are saying but I am not so sure I agree (and I don't know if this is the atheist in me speaking or not but...). If "God" is meant to heal and take care of people and "God" (whatever your religion/God may be) does exist then there would be no need for modern medicine or surgeons/doctors of any kind. Medicine and doctors exist for a REASON and to blatantly ignore that is no excuse. To watch your child die and say "no she's fine God's taking care of her" is negligence (sp) I don't care how you say it. If someone decided to start their own religion (don't tell me people dont try) and said that they whole heartedly believe it was okay to kill someone because their God said it's okay we'd either send them to a loonie bin or jail before you could say Bob's your uncle.

Sure people have their faith and to each their own ... but in my opinion (and that's all this is) this is complete and total crap. They let their child die. You can't tell me that with all their familie's concerns being raised that they didn't think once hmmm maybe we ought to take her to the hospital. I think there is more to this than meets the eye. Am I saying send them to jail when they have other children to look after what about those kids and what's best of them? I don't know glad I wouldn't be the one to make that choice but... no matter how you paint it, they still killed a person with their actions.

I say this is a horrible story and feel bad for the girl. But also, people have their beliefs and should be able to live their lives and raise their families the way they want.

However, this should work both ways and the bible thumpers need to let the other people live the way they want (i.e. gay marriage, abortions, birth control, sex,drugs, rock n roll type things).:teeth_smile:

They were neglectful, period. They had all the resources necessary to preserve the life of their daughter.

That being said, I can't fathom the pain and heartbreak they're going through right now, much less the heartbreak of the 3 other children that have now been taken away from them (in addition to losing their sister, they don't even have the comfort of being with their parents). The whole thing is so very sad.

This story is heart breaking:(.. I just don't even know what to write.. I am going to be politically correct here, and keep (most of) my humble opinion to myself. I get so frustrated at these stories, and parents being so (in my opinion) neglectful. That 11 year old child never had a chance at life at the hands of her parents. Aren't parents supposed to be protectors and do everything in their power to keep their children healthy and safe? In my opinion they failed as parents, and allowed their child to die at the hands of their beliefs. Shame on them! Having some knowledge of diabetes, I am sure this child had serious acute symptoms prior to death- if not just being in a coma. Isn't it a hint to push your religion aside, and seek medical treatment, when your child is suffering to this extent??

Heart breaking... just heart breaking...

Edited by k_podski
clumsy fingers:)

Very sad, although no different from holistic(sp) doctors, and witch doctors, etc.

This issue isn't so much about the faith healers vs. science... It's about what we allow as a 'civilized society'. So to say that we need to allow sex, drugs and rock & roll...? That's not the bible thumpers that disallow those behaviors, it's our laws that disallow them. Same goes for charging these parents with neglect ... As a civilized society, it was decided long ago that to withhold standard medical treatment is defined as neglect. Neglect is against the law. Should we change the law so that a parent can choose their own definition of neglect? Do they have that right because they are the parents? No. The parents do not have the last word...the courts do. The courts exist to protect those that don't have a voice.