Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So wow, just wow. I was so excited to be approved by my doctor to have the lap band done. It was going to be my fresh start to my new life (what’s left after my ex-husband ran off with another woman leaving with my then 6week old son (who’s now 12months) and now has a house with her up the street from me 5minutes) I was bummed that my insurance wouldn’t cover it but I was still happy to know I was a candidate...

I've applied for 5 different loans to get the procedure done and so far 3 have flat out denied me and 1 approved me for $500, wtf? What is $500 going to do for me? I submitted to have it increased and am waiting on the last company to review my request as well...

Did anyone else have such a hard time getting you approved? I unfortunately don’t have anyone that can co-sign for me and I just refinanced my home to remove my ex-husbands name from everything so I think that’s causing some pain as well...

Anyone have any advice on a company to try? I think at this point I’m going to need to wait a few months to let my credit start building back up after all the hits its have between the 2 different mortgage companies and the 5 loans for the procedure that I've tried.

I don't have any advice, but just wanted to send you some hugs.....it sounds like you need one.

I'm just starting to look for financing, so I'll let you know if I find anything that is great.

I have used Care Credit in the past to cover dental procedures, etc. It is often accpeted by plastic surgeons and others who offer services that insurance may not cover. It is interest free for the first year and, as far as I can tell, it is not difficult to get the credit line.

Good luck yo you...and A hug from me, too.

Mary

Oh I am so sorry to hear of your situation - I am pretty much in the same boat myself...single mum living on a shoe string and cannot get financing...but I am determined to figure this out one way or another!!!

Hugs to you and best of luck!

Have you looked at your credit reports lately? I know especially when a house and other financial things are involved your credit can get mucked up during that period. If you haven't I would get the reports and make sure everything is ok.

I just started investigating all of this .Glad to know I'm not the only one in the "unknown zone? " I actually have a musculoskeletal injury since 12/2006 that put me where I never thought I'd be "BANKRUPTCY" so 3 more years of that.My insurance excludes the Lapband as well.I'm going to see a Bariatric doctor this month.I think I qualify .I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 2 years ago,3 weeks ago I was told I'm hypertensive and diabetic,arthritis in both knees(no cartilage in one)High triglycerides and cholesterol and my BMI is 36.I also have GERD.I think I'll qualify,too.But what good does that do if insurance can't be convinced of the co-morbidity status ? Anyone have more info about what to do and how to get started?

Some insurance companies DO approve it? Have you considered looking into other insurance available through your employer. I have BCBS and I got approved. Best of luck!

hi asherje (((((hugz)))))

Your situation is a tough one. I would beware of loan companies, considering your current status. You MAY get approved by one if you keep looking, but the interest would be probably astronomical. I agree with the poster about checking your credit report. Unfortunately, a divorce negatively impacts your credit rating for a couple of years (how's that for adding insult to injury?).

A question about your insurace...who told you it wasn't a covered procedure? When I first called out insurance company, they said the same thing...what they didn't know was...I already asked my HR dept and KNEW it WAS a covered procedure...so I didn't let them brush me off that easily!! If you haven't checked with your HR benefits provider...check there...perhaps you got an insurance rep that didn't know your particular policy too well. Just a thought.

Anyway...your situation is a very tough one...when my first marriage ended (he ran off with another man however! and left me, a stay at home mom, with two small daughters) I went to a 'divorce' seminar and remember feeling deflated when we were advised to wait two years after our divorce to make any life changing decisions if at all possible (e.g. another relationship, moving, etc) I know I surely did NOT want to hear that then, but now, 14 years later and 10 years into a HAPPY marriage, I know he was right. I was still healing. Making a life changing decision before the healing process was over, could have rendered bad consequences, and thus more pain. Just something to consider.

Best of luck to you...keep us posted.

if you are in bankruptcy, you probably won't get a loan for that amount, except maybe through care credit...it's strictly for medical bills. I would definitely look at the insurance route.

Sending you hugs, too.....I hope this all works out for you. It sounds like care credit will be the best option for you as well. Have you asked your doctor's office if they offer any type of payment plan or if they can refer you to a loan company?

I also have BCBS, but mine is BCBS of Mass and I didn't even have to go through the 6 month waiting period. I had my consultation in November to see if the doctor would even recommend me, then I did all my blood work and tests in December and January. I was approved the end of February and had my surgery on 3/10/08. It just seems that so many insurance companies are behind the times! I didn't think there were any companies out there that didn't cover LapBand!

Things like what has happened to you in this past year just make me so angry! So the creep leaves you, sticks you with everything including a 6-week old baby and then has the audacity to live up the street five minutes from you-----------aaaarrrrgggghhhh!:)

And now the insurance company won't cover your life-affirming/changing surgery and of course you can't get a loan--besides being saddled with everything else, you no longer have the creep's income!! But I AM proud of you because you DIDN'T declare bankruptcy!

Is there any chance your insurance WILL cover bypass? I work for a bank and I know how tight things are right now, with this economy it's the worst time to look for unsecured $, I'm sorry to say. Any chance for Mom/Dad/Grandma to come through to help you? Selling something (like HIS car?!!:blink:)

You KNOW I wish you only the best--keep us informed...

Thanks everyone for being so wonderful. Sorry to hear yours ran off with another man. Yeah it’s been interesting to say the least and I have to say I’m very blessed to be able to scrimp by and afford my house and car. Sure I have no cable but hell I have electricity, gas and running Water and that’s what really matters.

I had no luck getting the loans any where but oddly enough I am so blessed, my ex-husband has been asking me when I was going to get the car out of his name and well… I spoke with Wells Fargo and I was approved to get the car in my name and was able to get $11,000 out of the refinance! Yeah my interest rate is crazy high now on my car lol 15.99% but I only have to deal with my EX about my son and that’s it! And to top it off I have my surgery scheduled for April 11th, I’m so happy and excited and terrified all at one lol.

Weight Loss Tickers

weight.png

Edited by asherje

So wow, just wow. I was so excited to be approved by my doctor to have the lap band done. It was going to be my fresh start to my new life (what’s left after my ex-husband ran off with another woman leaving with my then 6week old son (who’s now 12months) and now has a house with her up the street from me 5minutes) I was bummed that my insurance wouldn’t cover it but I was still happy to know I was a candidate...

I've applied for 5 different loans to get the procedure done and so far 3 have flat out denied me and 1 approved me for $500, wtf? What is $500 going to do for me? I submitted to have it increased and am waiting on the last company to review my request as well...

Did anyone else have such a hard time getting you approved? I unfortunately don’t have anyone that can co-sign for me and I just refinanced my home to remove my ex-husbands name from everything so I think that’s causing some pain as well...

Anyone have any advice on a company to try? I think at this point I’m going to need to wait a few months to let my credit start building back up after all the hits its have between the 2 different mortgage companies and the 5 loans for the procedure that I've tried.

what a mess, sorry to hear about everything.

Well I just wanted to extend a hand if you need, I'm a home mortgage consultant with Wells Fargo. So if you ever want me to look over your credit and possibly help with a refinance to pay for the procedure just let me know. Or if you or anyone need me to give them advise on what to do to improve their credit, just let me know!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Edited by learning
error

Have you looked at your credit reports lately? I know especially when a house and other financial things are involved your credit can get mucked up during that period. If you haven't I would get the reports and make sure everything is ok.

Good luck! There are some programs out there that offer their own financing, it could be worth checking them out.

Edited by PennyLane
I just re-read your post (I have a bad memory sometimes) and you obviously already know everything I just pointed out :)